FASHIONS AND FUNDAMENTALISMS IN FIN-DE-SIÈCLE YEMEN: Chador Barbie and Islamic Socks
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 214–243, May 2007
Total views since August 2010: 12
How to Cite
MENELEY, A. (2007), FASHIONS AND FUNDAMENTALISMS IN FIN-DE-SIÈCLE YEMEN: Chador Barbie and Islamic Socks. Cultural Anthropology, 22: 214–243. doi: 10.1525/can.2007.22.2.214
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
- 1985 A Community of Secrets. Signs 10(4):637–657.
- 1990 The Romance of Resistance. American Ethnologist 17(1):41–55.
- 1998 Remaking Women: Feminism and Modernity in the Middle East. Princeton : Princeton University Press. , ed.
- 2002 Do Muslim Women Really Need Saving? Anthropological Reflections on Cultural Relativism and Its Others. American Anthropologist 104(3):783–790. , ed.
- 1982 Western Ethnocentrism and Perceptions of the Harem. Feminist Studies 8:521–542.
- 1992 Women and Gender in Islam: Historical Roots of a Modern Debate. New Haven , CT : Yale University Press.
- 2004 Islah Women's Section Stands by France Muslim Women. Electronic Document, http://www.alsahwa-yemen.net/elections/eng/exp_news1.asp?news_no= 246, accessed March 18.
- 1986 The Idea of an Anthropology of Islam. Occasional papers, Washington , DC : Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, Georgetown University.
- 2003 Formations of the Secular: Christianity, Islam, Modernity. Stanford : Stanford University Press.
- Associated Press2003 Muslim Doll Offers Modest Alternative to Barbie. Electronic document, http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/10/08/muslim.barbie.ap/index. html, accessed October 16.
- 1993 Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 1990 Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity. New York : Routledge.
- 1993 Bodies that Matter: On the Discursive Limits of “Sex.” New York : Routledge.
- 1997a Excitable Speech: On a Politics of the Performative. New York : Routledge.
- 1997 b The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection. Stanford : Stanford University Press.
- 1997 Editorial: The Arabian Peninsula. Middle East Report July-September 1997: 1--3. Electronic document, http://www.merip.org/mer/mer/204/edit204.htm, accessed June 12, 2006.
- 1998 The Political Economy of Activism in Modern Arabia. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 2004 Islam, Charity, and Activism: Middle-Class Networks and Social Welfare in Egypt, Jordan, and Yemen. Bloomington : Indiana University Press.
- 2006 For Multiculturalist Britain, Uncomfortable New Clothes. New York Times, October 22. Electronic document, http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/ weekinreview/22cowell.html?, accessed June 12.
- 2001 Foreign Bodies: Gender, Language, and Culture in French Orientalism. Stanford : Stanford University Press.
- 2000 A History of Modern Yemen. New York : Cambridge University Press.
- 1995 Stereotypes and Political Styles: Islamists and Tribesfolk in Yemen. International Journal of Middle East Studies 27(1995) :405–431. , and
- 2003 Hello Dolly. Elle Canada, November : 43.
- 1990 Bombay Talkies, the Word and the World: Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. Cultural Anthropology 5(2):107–159. , and
- 2003 Revival and Reform in Islam: The Legacy of Muhammad al-Shawkani. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1987 Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story. 43 min. Not officially released.
- 2001 Religious Reason and Civic Virtue: An Islamic Counterpublic. Cultural Anthropology 16(1):3–34.
- 2006 The Ethical Soundscape: Cassette Sermons and Islamic Counterpublics. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 2002 Feminism, the Taliban, and Politics of Counter-Insurgency. Anthropological Quarterly 75(2): 339–354. , and
- Internet Movie Database n.d. Todd Haynes. Electronic document, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001331, accessed November 8, 2005.
- Islam OnLine. net 2003 Razanne Offers Muslim Girls Alternative to Barbie. Electronic document, http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2003--10--10/articles08.shtmal, accessed January 24, 2007.
- 2006 Salih's Road to Reelection. Middle East Report, January 13, 2006: 1--9. Electronic document, http://www.merip.org/mero/mero011306.html, accessed January 19.
- 1991 End of Empire: Islam, Nationalism, and Women in Turkey. In Women, Islam and the State. DenizKandiyoti, ed. Pp. 22–47. Philadelphia : Temple University Press.
- 1991 Women, Islam and the State. DenizKandiyoti, ed. Pp. 22–7. Philadelphia : Temple University Press. , ed.
- 1996 Gendering the Middle East: Emerging Perspectives. New York : Syracuse University Press. , ed.
- 2006 Of Children and Jinn: An Inquiry into an Unexpected Friendship during Uncertain Times. Cultural Anthropology 21(2):234–264.
- 2006 The Missionary Position. The Nation. June 19. Electronic document, http:// www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20060619&s=lalami, accessed June 21.
- 2001 Feminist Theory, Embodiment and the Docile Agent: Some Reflections on the Islamic Revival. Cultural Anthropology 6(2):202–236.
- 2004 The Politics of Piety: The Islamic Revival and the Feminist Subject. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1996 Tournaments of Value: Sociability and Hierarchy in a Yemeni Town. Toronto : University of Toronto Press.
- 1999 Goods and Goodness. Social Analysis 43(3):69–88.
- 1993 The Calligraphic State: Textual Domination and History in a Muslim Society. Berkeley : University of California Press.
- 2006 Representing Family Law Debates in Palestine. In Religion, Media, and the Pub-lic Sphere. BirgitMeyer and AnneliesMoors, eds. Pp. 115–131. Bloomington : Indiana University Press.
- 1983 San‘a’ dress, 1920--1975. In San ‘a’: An Arabian Islamic city. R. B.Serjeant and R.Lewcock, eds. Pp. 529–541. London : World of Islam Festival Trust.
- 2006 The Measure of Mercy: Islamic Justice, Sovereign Power, and Human Rights in Iran. Cultural Anthropology 21(4):570–602.
- 2006 Beyond the Glitter: Belly Dance and Neoliberal Gentrification in Istanbul. Cultural Anthropology 21(4): 633–660.
- 2006 Foreboding about the Future in Yemen. Middle East Report, April 3, 2006, Pp. 1–8. Electronic document, http://merip.org/mero/mero040306.html, accessed December 6.
- 1995 Barbie's Queer Accessories. Durham , NC : Duke University Press.
- 2003 Material Consumers, Fabricating Subjects: Perplexity, Global Connectivity Discourses, and Transnational Feminist Research. Cultural Anthropology 18(4) :524–550.
- 2006 Crossbreeding Institutions, Breeding Struggle: Women's Empowerment, Neolib-eral Governmentality, and State (Re) Formation in India. Cultural Anthropology 21(1):60–95.
- 2004 Headscarves and the French Tricolor. Middle East Report, January 30. Electronic document, http://www.merip.org/mero/mero013004.html, accessed December 21, 2006.
- 2003 Violence and the Rhetoric of Images. Cultural Anthropology 18(3):398–428.
- 1995 The Anthropometry of Barbie: Unsettling Ideals of the Feminine Body in Popular Culture. In Deviant Bodies. JenniferTerry and JacquelineUrla, eds. Pp. 277–309. Bloomington : Indiana University Press. , and
- 2005a The Imagined “Consumer Democracy” and Elite (Re)Production in Yemen. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 11(2):255–275.
- 2005b Islam, Memory, and Morality in Yemen: Ruling Families in Transition. New York : Palgrave Macmillan.
- 1997 A Clash of Fundamentalisms: Wahhabism in Yemen. Middle East Report, July---September: 1--4. Electronic document, http://www.merip.org/mer/ mer204/weir.htm, accessed October 30, 2002.
- 2003 Women Stand in Jihad's Line. Yemen Times, March 31. Electronic document, http://yementimes.com/printarticle.shtml?i=local&a=2, accessed May 12.