JohnW. Connor is associate professor of anthropology at California State University, Sacramento.
Value Continuities and Change in Three Generations of Japanese Americans
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1974 American Anthropological Association
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 232–264, Fall 1974
How to Cite
Connor, J. W. (1974), Value Continuities and Change in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ethos, 2: 232–264. doi: 10.1525/eth.1974.2.3.02a00030
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1959. Need Patterns in Two Generations of Japanese Americans in Hawaii. Journal of Social Psychology 50: 75–79. .
- 1963. Attitudes of Japanese American and Caucasian American Students Toward Marriage Roles. Journal of Social Psychology 59: 11–15. , , and .
- 1962. Acculturation, Anthropology Today: Selections (SolTax, ed.). University of Chicago Press. .
- 1959. Village Japan. The University of Chicago Press. , , and .
- 1946. The Chrysanthemum and the Sword. Houghton Mifflin Co. .
- 1964. Values of Japanese and American Students. Technical Report 14, Contract Nonr-404(10). Group Psychology Branch, Office of Naval Research, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C.
- 1965. Japanese vs. American Values. Journal of Social Psychology 65: 181–191.
- 1967. Generational Differences in Values: Americans, Japanese Americans, and Japanese. Journal of Social Psychology 71: 169–175. , , and .
- 1967. Acculturation: An Exploratory Formulation, Beyond The Frontier (PaulBohannon and FredPlog, eds.). The Natural History Press. (Originally published in American Anthropologist 56:973–1000.). , , , and .
- California, State of. 1965. Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Fair Employment Practices. Californians of Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino Ancestry. San Francisco.
- 1952. Japanese-American Personality and Acculturation. Genetic Psychology Monographs 45: 3–102. .
- 1969. The Influence of Social Structure and Culture on Human Behavior in Modern Japan. MS. .
- 1956. Achievement, Culture and Personality: The Case of the Japanese-Americans. American Anthropologist 56: 1102–1126. , and .
- 1971. A Comparison of Maternal Care and Infant Behavior in Japanese-American, American, and Japanese Families. MS. , and .
- 1962. Japanese Value Orientations and Culture Change. Ethnology 1: 53–91. , and .
- 1964. What is American?, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1972. A Study of Changing Psychology and Behavioral Characteristics in Three Generations of Japanese Americans in the Sacramento Area. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of California, Davis.
- 1974. “Acculturation and Family Continuities in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Journal of Marriage and the Family. Feb.
- 1964. Democracy in America, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1955. A Quantitative Rorschach Assessment of Maladjustment and Rigidity in Acculturating Japanese Americans. Genetic Psychology Monographs 52: 51–87.
- 1965. Social Values and Personal Attitudes in Primary Human Relations in Niike. Center for Japanese and Korean Studies, Institute of International Studies, University of California. Reprint 26.
- 1967. The Relation of Guilt Towards Parents To Achievement and Arranged Marriage Among the Japanese, Personalities and Cultures (RobertHunt, ed.). Natural History Press.
- 1968. Achievement and Innovation in Culture and Personality, The Study of Personality: An Interdisciplinary Appraisal (EdwardNorbeck, DouglasPrice-Williams, William M.McCord, eds.). Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1962. Amae: A Key Concept for Understanding Japanese Personality Structure, Japanese Culture: Its Development and Characteristics (Robert J.Smith and Richard K.Beardsley, eds.). Aldine Publishing Co.
- 1951. Resistance to Acculturation and Assimilation in an Indian Pueblo, American Anthropologist 53: 56–66.
- 1964. The Dominant Value Profile of American Culture, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1959. Edwards Personal Preference Schedule Manual. The Psychological Corporation.
- 1962. Comparative Need Patterns of Five Ancestry Groups in Hawaii, Journal of Social Psychology 58: 67–89. , and .
- 1966. The New Englanders of Orchard Town U.S.A. Six Cultures Series, V. (Beatrice B.Whiting, ed.), John Wiley and Sons. , and .
- 1957. Values, Attitudes and Social Concepts of Japanese and American Children. American Anthropologist 59: 979–999. .
- 1968. Influences of Childhood and Adolescence, The Study of Personality: An Interdisciplinary Appraisal (EdwardNorbeck, DouglassPrice-Williams, and William M.McCord, eds.). Holt, Rinehart and Winston. .
- 1964. Assimilation in American Life, Oxford University Press. .
- 1967. Ojibwa Personality and Acculturation, Beyond the Frontier (PaulBohannon and FredPlog, eds.). The Natural History Press. .
- 1961. American Core Values and National Character, Psychological Anthropology (Francis L. K.Hsu, ed.). Dorsey Press.
- 1969. Changes in Value Orientations of Japanese Americans, quoted in Japanese Americans: The Evolution of a Subculture, by HarryKitano. Prentice-Hall. .
- 1961. Differential Child-Rearing Attitudes Between First and Second Generation Japanese in the United States. Journal of Social Psychology 53: 13–19.
- 1962. Changing Achievement Patterns of the Japanese in the United States. Journal of Social Psychology 58: 257–264.
- 1969. Japanese Americans: The Evolution of a Subculture. Prentice-Hall.
- 1960 Mirror for Man. Greenwich, Conn.: Fawcett Publications, Inc., A Premier Reprint. (Originally Published 1949.). .
- 1964. A Changing American Character?, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1967. The First New Nation. Doubleday and Co., An Anchor Book. .
- 1970. Ethnic Identity in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Journal of Social Psychology 81: 199–207. , , and .
- 1964. Mothers of Six Cultures: Antecedents of Child Rearing. John Wiley and Sons. , and .
- 1938. Explorations in Personality. Oxford University Press. , et al.
- 1964. Ways of Thinking of Eastern People (Philip P.Weiner, ed.). East-West Center Press. .
- 1970. Japanese Society. University of California Press. .
- 1961. Japan, Psychological Anthropology (FrancisL. K. Hsu, ed.). Dorsey Press. , and .
- 1966. Success Story: Japanese American Style. The New York Times, January 9, 1966, p. 20. .
- 1965. The United States and Japan (3d ed.). Viking Press.
- 1943. Japan: A Short Cultural History. Appleton-Century Crofts, Inc.
- 1962. Japanese Character and Culture. The University of Arizona Press.
- 1971. The Culturally Advantaged: A Study of Japanese-American Pupils. Sociology and Social Research 59: 341–353. .
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1972. 1970 Census of the Population: General Social and Economic Characteristics: California. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1973. 1970 Census of the Population: Final Report PC(2)-1G, Japanese, Chinese, and Filipinos in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 1967. Japan's New Middle Class. University of California Press. .
- 1970. American Society. 3d ed. A. A. Knopf.