John W. Connor is associate professor of anthropology at California State University, Sacramento.
Persistence and Change in Japanese American Value Orientations
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1976 American Anthropological Association
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 1–44, Spring 1976
How to Cite
Connor, J. W. (1976), Persistence and Change in Japanese American Value Orientations. Ethos, 4: 1–44. doi: 10.1525/eth.1976.4.1.02a00010
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1959. Need Patterns in Two Generations of Japanese Americans in Hawaii. Journal of Social Psychology 50:75–79. .
- 1962. Dominance-Deference Patterning in Motherland Japanese, Japanese American, and Caucasian American Students. Journal of Social Psychology 58:61–66. , , and .
- 1967. Psychological Needs and Cultural Systems: A Case Study. D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc. .
- 1959. Village Japan. University of Chicago Press. , , and .
- 1946. The Chrysanthemum and the Sword. Houghton Mifflin Co. .
- 1956. The Use of a Sentence Completion Test in Measuring Attitudes toward Superiors and Inferiors. Journal of Applied Psychology 40:248–250. , , and .
- California, State of, 1965. Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Fair Employment Practices. Californians of Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino Ancestry. San Francisco.
- 1952. Japanese American Personality and Acculturation. Genetic Psychology Monographs 45:3–102. .
- 1956. Achievement, Culture, and Personality: The Case of the JapaneseAmericans. American Anthropologist 56:1102–1126. , and .
- 1969. Maternal Care and Infant Behavior in Japan and America. Psychiatry 32:12–43. , and .
- 1964. What is American The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1972. A Study of Changing Psychological and Behavioral Characteristics in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Davis. Xerox Microfilm 72 24, 590, 433 pp.
- 1974a Acculturation and Family Continuities in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Journal of Marriage and the Family, February.
- 1974b Acculturation and Changing Need Patterns in Japanese American and Caucasian American Students. Journal of Social Psychology, August.
- 1974c Value Continuities and Change in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ethos 2:232–264.
- 1964. Democracy in America, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1955. A Quantitative Rorschach Assessment of Maladjustment and Rigidity in Acculturating Japanese Americans. Genetic Psychology Monographs 52:51–87.
- 1965. Social Values and Personal Attitudes in Primary Relations in Niike. Center for Japanese and Korean Studies. Institute of International Studies. University of California. Reprint 26.
- 1967. The Relation of Guilt towards Parents to Achievement and Arranged Marriages among the Japanese, Personalities and Cultures (RobertHunt, ed.). Natural History Press.
- 1968. Achievement and Innovation in Culture and Personality, The Study of Personality: An Interdisciplinary Appraisal (EdwardNorbeck, DouglassPrice-Williams, and WilliamMcCord, eds.). Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1973. Socialization for Achievement: Essays on the Cultural Psychology of the Japanese. University of California Press.
- 1962. Amae: A Key Concept for Understanding Japanese Personality Structure, Japanese Culture: Its Development and Characteristics (Robert J.Smith and Richard K.Beardsley, eds.). Aldine Publishing Co. .
- 1964. The Dominant Value Profile of American Culture, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1959. Edwards Personal Preference Schedule. Psychological Corporation.
- 1962. Comparative Need Patterns of Five Ancestry Groups in Hawaii. Journal of Social Psychology 58:67–89. , and .
- 1966. The New Englanders of Orchard Town U.S.A.: Six Cultures Series (Beatrice B.Whiting, ed.). John Wiley and Sons. , and .
- 1950. A Structured Sentence Completion Test. Journal of Protective Techniques 14:15–29.
- 1953. Studies of the Sentence Completion Test. Journal of Protective Techniques 17:280–294. , and .
- 1954. Sentence Completion: A Protective Method for the Study of Personality. Charles C. Thomas, Inc. , and .
- 1961. American Core Values and National Characters, Psychological Anthropology (Francis L. K.Hsu, ed.). Dorsey Press.
- 1969. Changes in Value Orientations of Japanese Americans, quoted in Japanese Americans: The Evolution of a Sub-Culture (HarryKitano, ed.). Prentice-Hall. .
- 1969. Japanese Americans: Evolution of a Sub-Culture. Prentice-Hall. .
- 1948. A Short Form Sentence Projection Technique. Journal of General Psychology 38:273–287. .
- 1960. Mirror for Man. Fawcett Publications. .
- 1969. Class and Conformity: A Study of Values. Dorsey Press.
- 1964. A Changing American Character The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press. .
- 1967. The First New Nation. Doubleday and Co. .
- 1970. Ethnic Identity in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Journal of Social Psychology 81:199–207. , , and .
- 1937. The Japanese Patriarch in Hawaii. Social Forces 17:241–248. .
- 1964. Mothers of Six Cultures: Antecedents of Child Rearing. John Wiley and Sons. , and .
- 1964. Ways of Thinking of Eastern People (Philip P.Weimer, ed.). East-West Center Press. .
- 1961. Japan, Psychological Anthropology (Francis L. K.Hsu, ed.). Dorsey Press. , and .
- 1966. Success Story: Japanese American Style. The New York Times, January 9, 1966, p. 20. .
- 1965. Thai Peasant Personality: The Patterning of Interpersonal Behavior in the Village of Bang Chan. University of California Press.
- 1964. Economic Abundance and the Formation of American Character, The Character of Americans (MichaelMcGiffert, ed.). Dorsey Press.
- 1959. Comparison of American and Israeli Children by Means of a Sentence Completion Technique. Journal of Social Psychology 59:3–12.
- 1965. The United States and Japan (3d ed.). Viking Press.
- 1946. Explorations in Personality by The Sentence Completion Method. Journal of Applied Psychology 30:169–181.
- 1947. The Incomplete Sentence Test as a Method of Studying Personality. Journal of Consulting Psychology 11:43–48. , and .
- 1957. An Example of the Use of the Incomplete Sentence Test in Applied Anthropology Research. Human Organization 16:25–29. , , and .
- 1950. The Sentence Completion Test. Projective Psychology (L. E.Abt and L.Bellak, ed.). Alfred A. Knopf Co. , and .
- 1954. Japan: A Short Cultural History. Appleton-Century Crofts, Inc.
- 1962. Japanese Character and Culture. University of Arizona Press.
- 1963. Education in a Transforming American Culture, Education and Culture. Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1960. Acculturation, Selected Papers of the Fifth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences: Men and Cultures (A. F. C.Wallace, ed.). University of Pennsylvania Press. .
- 1967. Japan's New Middle Class. University of California Press. .
- 1970. American Society (3d ed.). Alfred A. Knopf. .