John W. Connor is associate professor of anthropology at California State University, Sacramento.
Family Bonds, Maternal Closeness, and the Suppression of Sexuality in Three Generations of Japanese Americans
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1976 American Anthropological Association
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 189–221, Summer 1976
How to Cite
Connor, J. W. (1976), Family Bonds, Maternal Closeness, and the Suppression of Sexuality in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ethos, 4: 189–221. doi: 10.1525/eth.1976.4.2.02a00030
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1959. Village Japan. University of Chicago Press. , , and .
- 1952. Japanese-American Personality and Acculturation. Genetic Psychology Monographs 45:3–102. .
- 1963. Interrelations of Psychiatry, Culture and Emotion in Japan, Man's Image in Medicine and Anthropology (IagoGaldston, ed.), pp. 374–421. International Universities Press. , and .
- 1972. A Comparison of Maternal Care and Infant Behavior in Japanese-American, American, and Japanese Families, Influences on Human Development (U.Bronfenbrenner, ed.) pp. 329–342. Dryden Press. , and .
- 1974. Who Sleeps by Whom? Parent-Child Involvement in Urban Japanese Families, Culture and Personality (Robert A.LeVine, ed.), pp. 125–154. Aldine Publishing Company. , and .
- 1969. Maternal Care and Infant Behavior in Japan and America. Psychiatry 32:12–43. , and .
- 1974a. Acculturation and Family Continuities in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Journal of Marriage and The Family (Feb.), pp. 159–165.
- 1974. Acculturation and Changing Need Patterns in Japanese-American and Caucasian-American College Students. The Journal of Social Psychology 93:293–294.
- 1974c. Value Continuities and Change in Three Generations of Japanese Americans. Ethos 2(3):232–264.
- 1976. Persistence and Change in Japanese-American Value Orientations. Ethos 4(1): 1–44.
- 1973. Socialization for Achievement: Essays on the Cultural Psychology of The Japanese. University of California Press.
- 1975. Affective Dissonance and Primary Socialization. Ethos 3(2): 165–182.
- 1958. City Life in Japan. University of California Press. .
- 1967. How to be a Jewish Mother. Signet Books. The New American Library. .
- 1975. Influence of a Folk Superstition on Fertility of Japanese in California and Hawaii, 1966. American Journal of Public Health 65(2): 170–174. , and .
- 1964. Differential Child-Rearing Attitudes Between First and Second Generation Japanese in the United States. Journal of Social Psychology 63:215–230.
- 1969. Inis Beag: Isle of Ireland. Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- 1973. Psychological Interpretation of Male Initiation Rites: The Case of Male Pregnancy Symptoms. Ethos 1(4):490–498. , and .
- 1974. Girl Grabbers: Tokyo Men Ready for Rome Sacramento Bee. January 15, 1974. .
- 1969. Is The Oedipus Complex Universal? The Jones-Malinowski Debate Revisited and a South Italian Nuclear Complex. Man and His Culture: Psychoanalytic Anthropology After Totem and Taboo (WernerMuensterberger, ed.). Taplinger Publishing Company. .
- 1964. The After Hours: Modern Japan and The Search for Enjoyment. University of California Press. .
- 1958. Children of the Kibbutz. Harvard University Press.
- 1962. The Oedipus Complex: Cross-Cultural Evidence. The Free Press.
- 1960. Acculturation. Selected Papers of The Fifth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (Anthony F. C.Wallace, ed.). University of Pennsylvania Press. .
- 1968. Permissive Dependency in Japan. Comparative Perspectives on Marriage and The Family (H.Kent Geiger, ed.). Little, Brown and Company. , and .
- 1959. Sorcery, Sin, and the Superego. Symposium on Motivation. University of Nebraska Press.
- 1959. Sleeping Arrangements and Social Structure: A Cross-Cultural Study. Paper presented at American Anthropological Association Meetings, Mexico City, December, 1959. , and .
- 1958. The Function of Male Initiation Rites at Puberty. Readings in Social Psychology. (E. E.Maccoby, T. M.Newcomb, and E. L.Hartley, eds). Holt Publishing Company. , , and .
- 1974. The Learning of Values, Culture and Personality: Contemporary Readings (Robert A.LeVine, ed.). Aldine Publishing Company. , , , and .
- 1966. Childhood Associations, Sexual Attraction and the Incest Taboo: A Chinese Case. American Anthropologist 68:883–898. .