is assistant professor of anthropology at the University of Texas at Austin.
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1977 American Anthropological Association
Volume 5, Issue 1, pages 54–70, Spring 1977
How to Cite
Weiner, A. B. (1977), Trobriand Descent:. Ethos, 5: 54–70. doi: 10.1525/eth.1977.5.1.02a00050
Section II of this paper is an expanded version of chapter 2, section 2, pages 21–24 of Women of Value, Men of Renown, (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1976), used by permission. The data presented are based on field research in Kiriwina, Trobriand Islands in 1971–1972 and twelve weeks in 1976, the latter funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the University of Texas Research Institute. Revisions from an earlier draft of this paper were done while holding an American Council for Learned Societies Fellowship. I wish to thank Dennison Nash for critical reading and comments on an earlier draft.
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1975. Energy and Structure: A Theory of Social Power. University of Texas Press.
- 1934. Procreation among the Trobriand Islanders. Oceania 5:102–113. .
- 1958. Naven (2d ed.). Stanford University Press. .
- 1955. Culture and Experience. University of Pennsylvania Press. , .
- 1957. The Epistemological Background to Malinowski's Empiricism, Man and Culture: an evaluation of the work of Bronislaw Malinowski (RaymondFirth, ed.), pp. 119–138. Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1958. Concerning Trobriand Clans and the Kinship Category Tabu, The Developmental Cycle in Domestic Groups (JackGoody, ed.), pp. 120–145. Cambridge University Press.
- 1967. Virgin Birth. Proceedings of the Royal Anthropological Institute, 1966:39–50.
- 1975. Trobriand Cricket: An Ingenious Response to Colonialism. A film produced under the sponsorship of the government of Papua New Guinea. Gary Kildea, Filmmaker.
- 1916. Baloma: The Spirits of the Dead in the Trobriand Islands. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 45, reprinted in Magic, Science and Religion and Other Essays (Bronislaw K. Malinowski), pp. 149–254. (Doubleday, 1954.). .
- 1922. Argonauts of the Western Pacific. E. P. Dutton. .
- 1929. The Sexual Life of Savages in North-western Melanesia. Harvest Books. .
- 1935a. Coral Gardens and their Magic: A Study of the Methods of Tilling the Soil and of Agricultural Rites in the Trobriand Islands, vol. 1. American Book Co. (Indiana University Press, 1965.). .
- 1935b. Coral Gardens and their Magic: A Study of the Methods of Tilling the Soil and of Agricultural Rites in the Trobriand Islands, vol. 2. American Book Co. (Indiana University Press, 1965.). .
- 1954. Magic, Science and Religion and Other Essays, Double-day. .
- 1974. The Trobriand Society, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Chicago. .
- 1973. Walbiri Iconography: Graphic Representation and Cultural Symbolism in a Central Australian society. Cornell University Press.
- 1960. Competitive Leadership in Trobriand Political Organization. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 90:118–148.
- 1968. Correspondence: Virgin Birth. Man, n.s. 3:651–652.
- 1969a. Genealogy, Residence, and Kinship in Kiriwina. Man, n.s., 4:177–202.
- 1969b. Territory, Hierarchy, and Kinship in Kiriwina. Man, n.s. 4:580–604.
- 1931. Physiological Paternity and the Trobrianders. Man 31:152–154.
- 1965. The Siane of the Eastern Highlands, Gods, Ghosts, and Men in Melanesia (P.Lawrence and M. J.Meggitt, eds.), pp. 50–77. Melbourne University Press.
- 1973. Kinship, Descent, and Alliance, Handbook of Social and Cultural Anthropology (J. J.Honigmann, ed.), pp. 747–793. Rand McNally.
- 1973. Exchange in the Social Structure of the Orokaiva: Traditional and Emergent Ideologies in the Northern District of Papua. St. Martin's Press. .
- 1968. Virgin Birth, Parthenogenesis, and Physiological Paternity: An Essay in Cultural Interpretation. Man, n.s., 3:242–261.
- 1976. Women of Value, Men of Renown. New Perspectives in Trobriand Exchange. University of Texas Press.