SIMON OTTENBERG is Professor of Anthropology and Adjunct Professor of Political Science, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington. The late Nora Ottenberg inspired me to begin this paper. I write it in her memory. I wish to thank Marjorie Halpin and Ross Crumrine for reading an early draft, and JoAnn Campbell, David Givens, Arthur Kleinman, and David Spain for comments on a later version.
Illusion, Communication, and Psychology in West African Masquerades
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1982 American Anthropological Association
Volume 10, Issue 2, pages 149–185, Summer 1982
How to Cite
OTTENBERG, S. (1982), Illusion, Communication, and Psychology in West African Masquerades. Ethos, 10: 149–185. doi: 10.1525/eth.1982.10.2.02a00040
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!