I am indebted to the reviewers of this paper for their critique. Their thoroughness and thought were valuable to me in rewriting. It has not been practicable for me to respond to those of their suggestions that were directed towards enhancing its references to symbolic interactionism. Though deeply influenced by the work of George Herbert Mead, originally introduced to me in Tamotsu Shibutani's brilliant course at the University of California at Berkeley in the late 1950s, my history in sociology has not been in symbolic interaction, and I cannot redirect it at this point. I have, however, reworked the paper to develop its dependence on Mead more fully, and I hope this will compensate for the deficits they found. I am also very appreciative of the critical thought and eye of my friend and colleague Liza McCoy.
Telling the Truth after Postmodernism1
Article first published online: 22 DEC 2011
1996 Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 171–202, Fall 1996
How to Cite
Smith, D. E. (1996), Telling the Truth after Postmodernism. Symbolic Interaction, 19: 171–202. doi: 10.1525/si.19126.96.36.199
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 22 DEC 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!