- • Regular multiprofessional rehearsals of the management of obstetric emergencies have been recommended since 1997.
- • In-house training is cheap and associated with improved outcomes.
- • Teamwork failure is associated with poor obstetric outcome but aviation-based team training is not a panacea: we may need to develop and evaluate obstetric-specific interventions.
- • To comprehend the importance of rehearsals in the labour ward.
- • To understand the components of successful ‘fire-drills’.
- • Excessive focusing on the processes of training can lead to neglect of teamworking and prevent sustainable differences in outcomes.
- • Entrenched negative attitudes to risk management processes can reduce the impact of training.
Please cite this article as: Siassakos D, Crofts J, Winter C, Draycott T. Multiprofessional ‘fire-drill’ training in the labour ward. The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist 2009;11:55–60.