Changes in the USP Heparin Monograph and Implications for Clinicians
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2012
2010 Pharmacotherapy Publications Inc.
Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy
Volume 30, Issue 5, pages 428–431, May 2010
How to Cite
Smythe, M. A., Nutescu, E. A. and Wittkowsky, A. K. (2010), Changes in the USP Heparin Monograph and Implications for Clinicians. Pharmacotherapy, 30: 428–431. doi: 10.1592/phco.30.5.428
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2012
- 1USP heparin monograph revisions— stage 2 and beyond. Available from http:www.usp.orgpdfENmeetingsworkshopsheparin2009Szajek.pdf. Accessed January 29, 2010., .
- 3U.S. Pharmacopeia. USP heparin information. Available from www.usp.orghottopicsheparin. Accessed January 29, 2010.
- 4U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA public health alert: change in heparin USP monograph. Available from http:www.fda.govDrugsDrugSafetyPostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProvidersucm184502.htm. Accessed January 29, 2010.
- 5U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA alert: New USP standards for heparin products will result in decreased potency. Adjustments may be needed to achieve desired anticoagulant effect in some patients. New heparin to ship starting October 8. Available from http:www.fda.govNewsEventsNewsroomPressAnnouncementsucm184674.htm. Accessed January 29, 2010.
- 6American College of Chest Physicians. FDA announces new standards for heparin. Available from www.chestnet.orgaccp articlefda-announces-new-standards-heparin. Accessed January 29, 2010.
- 10American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association. 2007 guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina/non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines (writing committee to revise the 2002 guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina/non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction). J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;50: 1–157.
- 16College of American Pathologists conference XXXI on laboratory monitoring of anticoagulant therapy, laboratory monitoring of unfractionated heparin therapy. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1988;122: 782–98., , , et al.
- 19Inability of the activated partial thromboplastin time to predict heparin levels. Arch Intern Med 1997;147: 2475–9., , , .