Original Article-Characterization Series
A New Era in the Ethics of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2005
Copyright © 2005 AlphaMed Press
Volume 23, Issue 10, pages 1454–1459, November 2005
How to Cite
Lo, B., Zettler, P., Cedars, M. I., Gates, E., Kriegstein, A. R., Oberman, M., Reijo Pera, R., Wagner, R. M., Wuerth, M. T., Wolf, L. E. and Yamamoto, K. R. (2005), A New Era in the Ethics of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research. STEM CELLS, 23: 1454–1459. doi: 10.1634/stemcells.2005-0324
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUL 2005
- 23 City Institutions to Get $50 Million for Stem Cell Research. The New York Times. May 23, 2005. B: 2..
- 3Hospital Receives $6M for Stem Cell Research. The Boston Globe. March 14, 2005. B: 2..
- 4Proposed Funding Could Keep NJ a Leader in Stem Cell Research. The Associated Press. January 10, 2005..
- 5The Stem Cell Institute of New Jersey. New Jersey Commission on Science & Technology, 2005. Available at http://www.state.nj.us/scitech/stem_intro.html. Accessed June 7, 2005.
- 6Landmark Stem Cell Financing Bill Passes. The Hartford Courant. June 1, 2005. A: 1..
- 8National Research Council and Institute of Medicine. (U.S.) Committee for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Guidelines for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 2005.
- 9Food and Drug Administration. Eligibility Determinations for Donors of Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products. 21 CFR Parts 210, 211, 820, and 1271.
- 10Fundamentals of Clinical Trials. New York: Springer, 1998:3–4., , .
- 11What Are the Phases of Clinical Trials? National Institutes of Health, May 9,2005. Available at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/info/whatis#phases. Accessed June 6, 2005.
- 17http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/1114454/DC. Accessed June 8, 2005., . Issues in Oocyte Donation for Stem Cell Research. Science Express, May 19, 2005. Available at
- 18Health Privacy Project. Medical Privacy Stories. November 10, 2003. Available at http://www.healthprivacy.org/newsletter-url2306/newsletter-url_list.htm?section=Privacy%20Stories%20%26%20other%20HPP%20Fact%20Sheets. Accessed June 14, 2005.
- 27Recombinant DNA Advisory Committee. NIH Guidance on Informed Consent for Gene Transfer Research. National Institutes of Health, December 2003. Available at http://www4.od.nih.gov/oba/rac/ic/index.html. Accessed June 7, 2005.
- 28National Bioethics Advisory Commission. Ethical and Policy Issues in Research Involving Human Participants. Bethesda, MD: National Bioethics Advisory Commission, 2001.
- 29Informed Consent: Legal Theory and Clinical Practice. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001., , .
- 30Hatch Urges Senate Action on Stem Cell Bill. May 25, 2005. Available at http://hatch.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=1353. Accessed June 2, 2005.
- 31Poll of Republican voters shows approval of embryonic stem cell research. The Associated Press. May 10, 2005..
- 32Calif. Ballot Measure Set to Ignite Stem Cell Research Debate; Nancy Reagan's Advocacy Could Sway Voters. The Boston Globe. June 27, 2004. A: 18..
- 35The Courage to Fail. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1978., .
- 36Experiment Perilous: Physicians and Patients Facing the Unknown. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1974..
- 38http://www.nih.gov/news/panelrep.html. Accessed June 14, 2005., . Report and Recommendations of the Panel to Assess the NIH Investment in Research on Gene Therapy. December 7, 1995. Available at