A Decision-Making Framework for Sediment Contamination
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2005 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 163–173, July 2005
How to Cite
Chapman, P. M. and Anderson, J. (2005), A Decision-Making Framework for Sediment Contamination. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 1: 163–173. doi: 10.1897/2005-013R.1
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 23 FEB 2005
- 1995. Background and overview of current sediment toxicity identification evaluation procedures. J Aquat Ecosyst Health 4: 133–149. , ,
- 2005. Assessing and managing contaminated sediments: Part I, developing an effective investigation and risk evaluation strategy. Integr Environ Assess Manag 1: 2–8. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Identifying cause in sediment assessments: Bioavailability and the Sediment Quality Triad. Can J Fish Aquat Sci 58: 950–960. , , , ,
- 2000. Characterizing and identifying toxicants in marine waters: A review of marine toxicity identification evaluations (TIEs). Int J Environ Pollut 13: 2–33. ,
- 2002. Weight-of-evidence approaches for assessing ecosystem impairment. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 1657–1673. , , ,
- [CCME] Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. 1996. A framework for ecological risk assessment: General guidance. Winnipeg (MN). EN 108–4–10–1996E.
- 1996. Presentation and interpretation of Sediment Quality Triad data. Ecotoxicology 5: 327–339. ,
- 2002. Integrating toxicology and benthic ecology: Putting the eco back into ecotoxicology. Mar Pollut Bull 44: 7–15. ,
- 2005. Development of a Canada-Ontario decision-making framework for contaminated sediments in the great lakes (and elsewhere): Final report. North Vancouver, BC, Canada: EVS Environment Consultants-Golder Associates. ,
- 2002. Issues in sediment toxicity and ecological risk assessment. Mar Pollut Bull 44: 271–278. , , , , ,
- 2002. Weight of evidence frameworks for sediment quality and other assessments. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 1489–1515. , , ,
- Environment Canada. 1998. Biological test method: Reference method for determining acute lethality of sediment to marine or estuarine amphipods. Ottawa (ON). EPS 1/RM/35.
- Environment Canada. 1999. Guidance document on the application and interpretation of single-species tests in environmental toxicology. Ottawa (ON). EPS 1/RM/34.
- Environment Canada. 2002. Metal mining guidance document for aquatic environmental effects monitoring. Ottawa, (ON).
- 1996. Two wildlife exposure models to assess impacts at the individual and population levels and the efficacy of remedial actions. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 3: 481–498. , ,
- 2002. A decision-making framework for sediment assessment developed for the Great Lakes. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 1641–1655. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003a. A study of the bioavailability of mercury and the potential for biomagnification from sediment in the St. Lawrence River (Cornwall) Area of Concern. Burlington (ON), Canada: National Water Research Institute, Environment Canada. , , ,
- 2003b. A study of the bioavailability of mercury and the potential for biomagnification from sediment in Jellico Cove, Peninsula Harbour. Burlington (ON), Canada: National Water Research Institute, Environment Canada. , , ,
- 2002. Guidance manual to support the assessment of contaminated sediments in freshwater ecosystems, Volume III: Interpretation of the results of sediment quality investigations. Chicago, (IL): U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Great Lakes National Program. EPA 905-B02–001-C. , ,
- 1996. An integrated approach to the evaluation and management of contaminated sediments. Toronto: Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Standards Development Branch, Environmental Standards Section. , ,
- 1999. Linkage of effects to tissue residues: Development of a comprehensive database for aquatic organisms exposed to inorganic and organic chemicals. Pensacola (FL), USA: Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. , ,
- 2000. SEDS: Setting environmental decisions for sediment management. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 3: 387–396. , , , , , , ,
- 2002a. A guidance manual to support the assessment of contaminated sediments in freshwater ecosystems, Vol I: An ecosystem-based framework for assessing and managing contaminated sediments. Chicago (IL): U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Great Lakes National Program. EPA 905-B02–001-A. , ,
- 2002b. Guidance manual to support the assessment of contaminated sediments in freshwater ecosystems. Volume II: Design and implementation of sediment quality investigations. Chicago (IL): U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Great Lakes National Program. EPA 905-B02–001-B. , ,
- 1986. Inter-laboratory comparison of a sediment toxicity test using the marine amphipod, Rhepoxynius abronius. Mar Environ Res 19: 13–37. , , , , , ,
- 2004. The sediment quality guideline, ERL, is not a chemical concentration atthe threshold of sediment toxicity. Mar Pollut Bull 49: 383–385. ,
- 1999. Evaluating the techniques for a tiered testing approach to dredged sediment assessment—A study over a metal concentration gradient. Environ Toxicol Chem 18: 2600–2610. , , , , , ,
- 2004. International trends in bioassay use for effluent management. Ecotoxicology 13: 377–398. , ,
- 2002. A comparison of three weight-of-evidence approaches for integrating sediment contamination data within and across lines of evidence. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 1613–1624. , , ,
- 2002. Integrating multiple toxicological endpoints in a decision-making framework for contaminated sediments. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 8: 1569–1584. , , ,
- 2005. Handbook for sediment quality assessment. Canberra, Australia: Environmental Trust. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Risk characterization for ecological risk assessment of contaminated sites. Oak Ridge (TN): U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Environmental Management. ES/ER/TM-20. ,
- 2002. A methodology for inferring the causes of observed impairments in aquatic ecosystems. Environ Toxicol Chem 21: 1101–1111. , , ,
- [USEPA] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. EPA's contaminated sediment management strategy. Washington DC: USEPA, Office of Water. EPA823-R-98–001.
- [USEPA and USACE] U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. 1998. Evaluation of dredged material proposed for discharge in waters of the United States—Testing manual. Washington DC: USEPA, USACE. EPA 823-B-98–004.
- [WAC] Washington Administrative Code. 1995. Sediment management standards. Title 173, Chapter 204. Olympia (WA), USA: Department of Ecology.
- 2002. Use of sediment quality guidelines and related tools for the assessment of contaminated sediments: Executive summary booklet of a Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Pellston Workshop. Pensacola (FL), USA: SETAC. , , editors.
- 2004. Evaluating the ecological relevance of sediment quality guidelines. Poster Presentation at the 31 st Annual Aquatic Toxicity Workshop, 2004 Oct 24–27; Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Canada. ,