Legal and Policy Analysis
General recommendations for soil ecotoxicological tests suitable for the environmental risk assessment of genetically modified plants
Version of Record online: 5 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2009 SETAC
Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 287–300, April 2010
How to Cite
Römbke, J., Jänsch, S., Meier, M., Hilbeck, A., Teichmann, H. and Tappeser, B. (2010), General recommendations for soil ecotoxicological tests suitable for the environmental risk assessment of genetically modified plants. Integr Environ Assess Manag, 6: 287–300. doi: 10.1897/IEAM_2009-043.1
- Issue online: 15 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 5 FEB 2010
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 FEB 2010 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAR 2009
- 1995. Interaction of an insect tolerant maize with organisms in the ecosystem. In: LandsmannJ, CasperR, editors. Key biosafety aspects of genetically modified organisms. Workshop, 10-11 April 1995 in Braunschweig. Germany. Berlin (DE), Blackwell Wissenschafts-Verlag. p 50–53. , , , , , .
- 2004. Meeting the scientific needs of ecological risk assessment in a regulatory context. Environ Sci Technol 1: 463–470. , , .
- 1981. Sequential versus simultaneous testing for evaluating the hazards of chemicals to aquatic life. Mar Envionr Res 4: 165–166.
- 2000. Guidelines to evaluate side-effects of plant protection products to non-target arthropods. Gent (BE): International Organization for Biological and Integrated Control of Noxious Animals and Plants, West Paleartic Regional Section (IOBC/WPRS). 158 p. , , , , , , , , , , . editors.
- 2002. Integrating toxicology and ecology: Putting the “eco” into ecotoxicology. Marine Poll Bull 44: 7–15. .
- 2006. Decomposition processes under Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) maize: Results of a multi-site experiment. Soil Biol Biochem 38: 195–199. , , , , , , , , .
- [EC] European Commission. 2001. EU Directive 2001/18/EC of 12 March 2001 on the deliberate release into the environment of genetically modified organisms and repealing Council Directive 90/220/EC. Official Journal of the European Communities L 106/1-38 (17.4.2001).
- [EC] European Commission. 2002. Guidance document on terrestrial ecotoxicology. Draft Working Document Sanco/10329/2002 rev. 2 final, 17 October 2002, Luxembourg (LU).
- [EC] European Commission. 2003. Regulation No. 1829/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2003 on genetically modified food and feed. Luxembourg (LU).
- [EPPO] European Plant Protection Organization. 2003. Environmental risk assessment scheme for plant protection products. Bull OEPP/EPPO Bull 33: 99–244.
- 2000. Decomposition of transgenic Bacillus thuringiensis maize by microorganisms and woodlice Porcellio scaber (Crustacea: Isopoda). Basic Appl Ecol 1: 161–169. , , .
- [EU] European Union. 1991. Council Directive Concerning the Placing of Plant Protection Products on the Market. No. 91/414/EEC. Brussels (BE).
- [EU] European Union. 1997. Council Directive Establishing Annex VI to Directive 91/414/EEC Concerning the Placing of Plant Protection Products on the Market. No. 97/57/EC, Brussels (BE).
- 1994. Ecotoxicology in theory and practice. London UK. Chapman & Hall, 264 p. , .
- 2004. Effects of pesticides on soil fauna: Development of ecotoxicological test methods for tropical regions. Göttingen (DE). Cuvillier Verlag, 281 p. .
- 2002. Insect-resistant transgenic plants in a multi-trophic context. Plant J 31: 387–406. , .
- 2006. Consequences for Protaphorura armata (Collembola: Onychiuridae) following exposure to genetically modified Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) maize and non-Bt maize. Environ Pollut 142: 212–216. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Analysis and validation of present ecotoxicological test methods and strategies for the risk assessment of genetically modified plants. Federal Agency for Nature Conservation, Bonn-Bad Godesberg (DE): BfN-Skripten 236:287 pp. , , , .
- Environmental risk assessment of genetically modified plants—concepts and controversies. Perspect Plant Ecol Evol Systemat. , , , , , . (submitted).
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 1998. Soil quality—Effects of pollutants on earthworms (Eisenia fetida). Part 2: Determination of effects on reproduction. ISO 11268-2. Geneva (CH).
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 1999a. Soil quality—Effects of pollutants on earthworms—Part 3: Guidance on the determination of effects in field situations. ISO No. 11268-3. Geneva (CH).
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 1999b. Soil quality—Inhibition of reproduction of collembola (Folsomia candida) by soil pollutants. ISO No. 11267. Geneva (CH).
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 2002a. Soil quality—Determination of potential nitrification—Rapid test by ammonium oxidation. ISO 15685. Geneva (CH).
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 2002b. Soil quality—Determination of the activity of the soil microflora using respiration curves. ISO 17155. Geneva (CH).
- [ISO] International Organization for Standardization. 2007. Soil quality—Avoidance test for evaluating the quality of soils and the toxicity of chemicals. Test with earthworms (Eisenia fetida/andrei). ISO 17512-1. Geneva (CH).
- 2005. Identification of the ecological requirements of important terrestrial ecotoxicological test species. Environ Rev 13: 51–83. , , .
- 1996. Using demographic theory, community ecology and spatial models to illuminate ecotoxicology. In BairdDJ, MaltbyL, Greig-SmithPW, DoubenPET, editors. ECOtoxicology: Ecological Dimensions. London (UK). Chapman & Hall, p 13–23. , , .
- 1995. Review of whole-organism bioassays: Soil, freshwater sediment, and freshwater assessment in Canada. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 30: 221–251. , , .
- 1997. Soil function in a changing world: the role of invertebrate ecosystem engineers. Eur J Soil Biol 33: 159–193. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Risk assessment of chemicals: An introduction. Dordrecht (NL). Kluwer Academic, 374 p. , .
- 2002. Soil toxicity tests—invertebrates. In: FairbrotherA, GlazebookPW, van StraalenN, TarazonaJV, editors. Test methods to determine hazards of sparingly soluble metal compounds in soils. Pensacola (FL). SETAC, p 34–57. , , , , , .
- [OECD] Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. 1984a. OECD Guidelines for testing of chemicals. Paris (FR).
- [OECD] Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. 1984b. OECD-guideline for testing of chemicals No. 207. Earthworm acute toxicity test. Paris (FR).
- [OECD] Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. 2006. OECD Series on Testing and Assessment No. 56. Guidance document on the breakdown of organic matter in litterbags. ENV/JM/MONO 23. Paris (FR).
- [OECD] Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development. 2008. Guideline for the testing of chemicals. Draft: Determination of developmental toxicity of a test chemical to Dipteran dung flies (Scathophaga stercoraria L. [Scathophagidae] and Musca autumnalis De Geer [Muscidae]). Paris (FR).
- 1982. A comparative analysis of soil fauna populations and their role in decomposition processes. Oikos 39: 287–388. , .
- 2004. Tackling the heterogeneity of soils in ecotoxicological testing: A EURO-soil based approach. JSS J Soils Sediments 4: 276–281. , .
- 1996. Hazard assessment of chemicals in soil. Proposed ecotoxicological test strategy. ESPR Environ Sci Poll Res 3: 78–82. , , .
- 2005. Ecological soil quality: Classification and assessment. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 62: 185–308. , . editors.
- RömbkeJ, HeimbachF, HoyS, KulaC, Scott-FordsmandJ, SousaP, StephensonG, WeeksJ, editors. 2003. Guidance document: Effects of plant protection products on functional endpoints in soil (EPFES). Pensacola (FL). SETAC, 92 p.
- 2008. Assessment of risk of insect-resistant transgenic crops to nontarget arthropods. Nat Biotechnol 26: 203–208. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Transgenic wheat with enhanced fungal resistance causes no effects on Folsomia candida (Collembola: Isotomidae). Pedobiologia 47: 141–147. , , .
- 2001. Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) toxin released from root exudates and biomass of Bt corn has no apparent effect on earthworms, nematodes, protozoa, bacteria and fungi in soil. Soil Biol Biochem 33: 1225–1230. , .
- [TGD]. 2003. Technical Guidance Document on Risk Assessment in support of Commission Directive 93/67/EEC on Risk Assessment for new notified substances, Commission Regulation (EC) No 1488/94 on Risk Assessment for existing substances, Directive 98/8/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council concerning the placing of biocidal products on the market. Brussels (BE).
- 2006. Can Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) corn residues and Bt-corn plants affect life-history traits in the earthworm Aporrectodea caliginosa? Appl Soil Ecol 32: 180–187. , , .
- 2002. Consumption of two Bt and six non-Bt corn varieties by the woodlouse Porcellio scaber. Basic Appl Ecol 3: 357–365. , , .
- 1997. Effects of Bacillus thuringiensis toxins in transgenic cotton and potato on Folsomia candida (Collembola: Isotomidae) and Oppia nitens (Acari: Orbatidae). J Econ Entomol 90: 113–118. , , .
- 2003. Effects of transgenic Bt corn litter on the earthworm Lumbricus terrestris. Mol Ecol 12: 1077–1086. , , , .