Portions of this article were submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the MA degree in school psychology by the first author.
A COMPUTER-BASED PROGRAM TO TEACH BRAILLE READING TO SIGHTED INDIVIDUALS
Version of Record online: 27 FEB 2013
2012 Society for the Experimental Analysis of Behavior
Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis
Volume 45, Issue 2, pages 315–327, Summer 2012
How to Cite
Scheithauer, M. C. and Tiger, J. H. (2012), A COMPUTER-BASED PROGRAM TO TEACH BRAILLE READING TO SIGHTED INDIVIDUALS. Jnl of Applied Behav Analysis, 45: 315–327. doi: 10.1901/jaba.2012.45-315
- Issue online: 27 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 FEB 2013
- Received June 23, 2011, Final acceptance October 21, 2011
- 2009). Challenges and solutions in teaching braille in an online education model. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 103, 78–80. (
- 2010). U.S. national certification in literary braille: History and current administration. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 104, 489–498. (
- Braille Institute. (2010). Facts about sight loss and definitions of blindness. Retrieved from http:www.brailleinstitute.orgfactsaboutsightloss5.
- 2007, July 19). Braille literacy flags, even as technology makes it more urgent. Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved from http:www.csmonitor.com20070719p13s02-legn.htmlpage51. (
- 1993). Stimulus equivalence and cross-modal transfer. The Psychological Record, 43, 567–584. (
- Department of Field Services of the American Printing House for the Blind. (2009). Distribution of eligible students: Based on the federal quota census of January 01, 2007 (fiscal year 2008). Retrieved from http:www.aph.orgfedquotpgmdist08.html.
- 2007). Literacy and visual impairment. Seminars in Speech and Language, 28, 58–68. , & (
- 2006). State braille standards for teachers of students who are blind or visually impaired: A national survey. Braille Monitor, 47. Retrieved from http:www.nfb.orgImagesnfbPublicationsbmbm04bm0401bm0401.htm. (
- 2007). Dynamic indicators of basic early literacy skills (6th ed.). Eugene, OR: Institute for the Development of Educational Achievement. , & (
- 1998). Stimulus equivalence. In K. A. Lattal & M. Perone (Eds.), Handbook of research methods in human operant behavior (pp. 229–262). New York: Plenum. , & (
- 2004). Using stimulus equivalence technology to teach emotion recognition to adults with acquired brain injury. Brain Injury, 18, 593–601. , , & (
- 2006). The acquisition of stimulus equivalence in individuals with fragile X syndrome. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 50, 643–651. , , & (
- 1988). The generation effect: Support for a two-factor theory. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 14, 484–494. , & (
- 1996). The braille literacy crisis for children. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 90, 276–278. (
- 2003). The effects of three stimulus-equivalence testing conditions on emergent US geography relations of children diagnosed with autism. Behavioral Interventions, 18, 279–289. , , , , & (
- 1995). Stimulus equivalence instruction of fraction-decimal relations. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 28, 115–126. , & (
- 2000). National plan for training personnel to service children with blindness and low vision. Reston, VA: Council for Exceptional Children. , , & (
- National Blindness Professional Certification Board. (2009). Information on the National Certification in Literary Braille (NCLB). Retrieved from http:www.nbpcb.orgnclb.
- National Federation of the Blind. (2009). The braille literacy crisis in America: Facing the truth, reversing the trend, empowering the blind. Baltimore: Author. Retrieved from http:www.nfb.orgimagesnfbdocumentswordTheBrailleLiteracyCrisisInAmerica.doc.
- 2000). Practice mill (Version 2.03) [Computer software]. Montreal, Quebec: Provalis Research. (
- 2006). National Literacy Braille Competency Test: New partnerships, new possibilities. Braille Monitor, 4. Baltimore: National Federation of the Blind. Retrived from http:nfb.orglegacybmbm06bm0601bm060109.htm. (
- 2008). Interpreting the meaning of the terms certified and highly qualified for teachers of students with visual impairments. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 102, 5–15. , & (
- 1995). Teaching behaviors and attitudes of braille instructors in adult rehabilitation centers. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 89, 432–439. , & (
- 2011). Towards a technology of derived stimulus relations: An analysis of articles published in the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 1992–2009. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 44, 109–119. (
- 2010). Current practices in instruction in the literary braille code university personnel preparation programs. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 104, 523–532. , , & (
- 1996). The impact of braille reading skills on employment, income, education, and reading habits. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 90, 219–226. (
- 1982). Conditional discrimination vs. matching to sample: An expansion of the testing paradigm. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 37, 5–13. , & (
- 2010). Teaching early braille literacy skills within a stimulus equivalence paradigm to children with degenerative visual impairments. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 43, 181–194. , & (
- 1995). Isolating the effects of active responding in computer-based instruction. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 28, 343–344. (
- World Health Organization. (2011). Visual impairment and blindness [Media Centre]. Retrieved from http:www.who.intmediacentrefactsheetsfs282en.