Supported by NIH grant HD44258 (B.R.Z.).
Protein C Inhibitor Expression by Adult Rat Sertoli Cells: Effects of Testosterone Withdrawal and Replacement
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2005 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 26, Issue 5, pages 578–585, September-October 2005
How to Cite
Anway, M. D., Show, M. D. and Zirkin, B. R. (2005), Protein C Inhibitor Expression by Adult Rat Sertoli Cells: Effects of Testosterone Withdrawal and Replacement. Journal of Andrology, 26: 578–585. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.05001
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication December 29, 2004; accepted for Publication April 9, 2005
- Expression of stress response genes in germ cells during spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 119–127. , , .
- Isolation of sertoli cells from adult rat testes: an approach to ex vivo studies of sertoli cell function. Biol Reprod. 2003;68: 996–1002. , , , .
- Identification of a murine testis complementary DNA encoding a homolog to human a-kinase anchoring protein-associated sperm protein. Biol Reprod. 2002;66: 1755–1761. , , , .
- Complex formation between protein C inhibitor and prostate-specific antigen in vitro and in human semen. Eur J Biochem. 1994;220: 45–53. , .
- Evidence for cross-talk between Sertoli and germ cells using selected cathepsins as markers. J Androl. 1998;19: 686–703. , , , , , .
- Biosynthesis and molecular cloning of sulfated glycoprotein 2 secreted by rat Sertoli cells. Biochemistry. 1987;26: 3297–3303. , .
- Protein C inhibitor may modulate human spermoocyte interactions. Biol Reprod. 1998;58: 670–677. , , , , , , .
- Evidence for the regulation of urokinase and tissue type plasminogen activators by the serpin, protein C inhibitor, in semen and blood plasma. Thromb Haemost. 1993;70: 989–994. , , , , , .
- Complexes of tissue kallikrein with protein C inhibitor in human semen and urine. Eur J Biochem. 1995;234: 641–649. , , , , , .
- Synergistic interaction of testosterone and oestradiol inhibits spermatogenesis in rats. Nature. 1977;269: 409–411. , , , .
- Molecular biology of the Sertoli cell. Oxf Rev Reprod Biol. 1988;10: 124–161. , , .
- The gene encoding vitamin K-dependent anticoagulant protein C is expressed in human male reproductive tissues. J Histochem Cytochem. 1995;43: 563–570. , , , , , .
- Rapid inhibition of the sperm protease acrosin by protein C inhibitor. Biochemistry. 1994;33: 5440–5444. , , .
- Transferrin messenger ribonucleic acid: molecular cloning and hormonal regulation in rat Sertoli cells. Endocrinology. 1987;120: 332–340. , , , , , .
- Effect of luteinizing hormone deprivation in situ on steroidogenesis of rat Leydig cells purified by a multistep procedure. Biol Reprod. 1987;36: 769–783. , , .
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 1970;227: 680–685. .
- Protein C inhibitor in human body fluids. Seminal plasma is rich in inhibitor antigen deriving from cells throughout the male reproductive system. J Clin Invest. 1992;89: 1094–1101. , , , , .
- Human sperm-egg binding is inhibited by peptides corresponding to core region of an acrosomal serine protease inhibitor. Mol Reprod Dev. 1993;34: 280–291. , , , , .
- Gonadotropins induce rapid phosphorylation of the 3′,5′-cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element binding protein in ovarian granulosa cells. Endocrinology. 1996;137: 3234–3245. , , .
- Evidence for similar expression of protein C inhibitor and the urokinase-type plasminogen activator system during mouse testis development. Endocrinology. 2004;145: 1481–1489. , , , .
- Protein C inhibitor is a potent inhibitor of the thrombin-thrombomodulin complex. J Biol Chem. 1995;270: 25336–25339. , , , .
- The effect of testosterone withdrawal and subsequent germ cell depletion on transferrin and sulfated glycoprotein-2 messenger ribonucleic acid levels in the adult rat testis. Biol Reprod. 1992;47: 92–96. , , , .
- Identification of testosterone-regulated genes in testes of hypogonadal mice using oligonucleotide microarray. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18: 422–433. , , .
- The murine testicular transcriptome: characterizing gene expression in the testis during the progression of spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2004;71: 319–330. , , , .
- Efficacy of testosterone-filled polydimethylsiloxane implants in maintaining plasma testosterone in rabbits. J Reprod Fertil. 1973;35: 235–244. , , .
- cis-elements required for expression of human protein C inhibitor gene in HepG2 cells and its androgen-dependent expression in rat reproductive organs. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2000;26: 75–83. , .
- Protein C inhibitor. Purification from human plasma and characterization. J Biol Chem. 1983;258: 163–168. , , .
- Modulation of gene expression by androgen and oestrogens in the testis and prostate of the adult rat following androgen withdrawal. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;178: 73–87. , , , , , , .
- On the androgen microenvironment of maturing spermatozoa. Endocrinology. 1984;115: 1925–1932. , , , , , .
- Disruption of the protein C inhibitor gene results in impaired spermatogenesis and male infertility. J Clin Invest. 2000;106: 1531–1539. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Molecular cloning, tissue distribution and androgen regulation of rat protein C inhibitor. FEBS Lett. 1998;429: 263–268. , , , , , .
- Male germ cells regulate transcription of the cathepsin l gene by rat Sertoli cells. Endocrinology. 2001;142: 2318–2327. , , , , .
- Effect of protein C inhibitor (PCI) on in vitro fertilization. Immunopharmacology. 1996;33: 140–142. , , , , , .
- Maintenance of advanced spermatogenic cells in the adult rat testis: quantitative relationship to testosterone concentration within the testis. Endocrinology. 1989;124: 3043–3049. , , , .