Present address: Department of Ob-Gyn, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas, Tex.
Differential Effects of GnRH and Androgens on Cres mRNA and Protein in Male Mouse Anterior Pituitary Gonadotropes
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2006 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 802–815, November-December 2006
How to Cite
Sutton-Walsh, H. G., Whelly, S. and Cornwall, G. A. (2006), Differential Effects of GnRH and Androgens on Cres mRNA and Protein in Male Mouse Anterior Pituitary Gonadotropes. Journal of Andrology, 27: 802–815. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.106.000331
Supported by NIH grants HD33903 (G.A.C.) and HD44669 (G.A.C.) and the TTUHSC Medical Scientist Training Program (H.G.S.W.).
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication April 13, 2006; accepted for Publication June 30, 2006
- Subtilase-like pro-protein convertases: from molecular specificity to therapeutic applications. J Mol Endocrinol. 2000;24: 1–22. , , .
- Specificity of the dynorphin-processing endoprotease: comparison with prohormone convertases. J Neurochem. 1999;72: 2120–2126. , , .
- A temporally intermediate mode of gonadotropin releasing hormone-induced desensitization of luteinizing hormone secretion. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1997;132: 53–59. , , .
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone stimulates glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) levels in alpha T3 cells by increasing transcription and mRNA stability. Endocrinology. 1994;134: 2475–2481. , , .
- Luteinizing hormone and testosterone secretion in young and old male mice. Am J Physiol. 1982;243: E257–263. , .
- The cystatin-related epididymal spermatogenic protein inhibits the serine protease prohormone convertase 2. Endocrinology. 2003;144: 901–908. , , , , , .
- Transient appearance of CRES protein during spermatogenesis and caput epididymal sperm maturation. Mol Reprod Dev. 1995;41: 37–46. , .
- A new subgroup of the family 2 cystatins. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2003;200: 1–8. , .
- The CRES gene: a unique testis-regulated gene related to the cystatin family is highly restricted in its expression to the proximal region of the mouse epididymis. Mol Endocrinol. 1992;6: 1653–1664. , , .
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone and the control of gonadotrope function. Reprod Nutr Dev. 2005;45: 243–254. , , , , , , , .
- Further studies on the localization of angiotensin-II-like immunoreactivity in the anterior pituitary gland of the male rat, comparing various antisera to pituitary hormones and their specificity. Neuroendocrinology. 1985;40: 471–475. , , , .
- Gene expression of proprotein convertases in individual rat anterior pituitary cells and their regulation in corticotrophs mediated by glucocorticoids. Endocrinology. 2002;143: 254–262. , .
- Opioids modify the release of LH at the pituitary level: in vitro studies with entire rat pituitaries. J Endocrinol. 1995;145: 263–270. , , , .
- Regulation of rat luteinizing hormone beta gene expression in transgenic mice by steroids and a gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist. Biol Reprod. 1995;53: 103–109. , , , .
- A prohormone convertase cleavage site within a predicted alpha-helix mediates sorting of the neuronal and endocrine polypeptide VGF into the regulated secretory pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005;280: 41595–41608. , , , , , , , .
- Molecular biology of the pituitary gonadotropins. Endocr Rev. 1990;11: 177–199. , , , .
- CCAAT/enhancer binding protein beta regulates expression of the cystatin-related epididymal spermatogenic (Cres) gene. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 1452–1461. , .
- Cres2 and Cres3: new members of the cystatin-related epididymal spermatogenic subgroup of family 2 cystatins. Endocrinology. 2003;144: 909–915. , .
- Optimization of Dnase I removal of contaminating DNA from RNA for use in quantitative RNA-PCR. Biotechniques. 1996;20: 1012–1014, 1016, 1018–1020. , , .
- Two activation states of the prohormone convertase PC1 in the secretory pathway. J Biol Chem. 1997;272: 15184–15188. , , , .
- PACAP colocalizes with luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormone immunoreactivities in the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland. Peptides. 1998;19: 1069–1072. , , , .
- Proteolytic processing of chromogranin B and secretogranin II by prohormone convertases. J Neurochem. 1998;70: 374–383. , , , , , , .
- Effects of castration and chronic steroid treatments on hypothalamic gonadotropin-releasing hormone content and pituitary gonadotropins in male wild-type and estrogen receptor-alpha knockout mice. Endocrinology. 1998;139: 4092–4101. , , , , , .
- Testosterone suppresses 8-bromo-adenosine 3′,5′-monophosphate and gonadotropin-releasing hormone-stimulated luteinizing hormone subunit synthesis. Endocrinology. 1992;130: 3337–3344. , .
- Modulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone-stimulated luteinizing hormone release in cultured male equine anterior pituitary cells by gonadal steroids. Biol Reprod. 1993;49: 340–345. , , , .
- Pituitary gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor regulation in mice. I: Males. Endocrinology. 1984;115: 106–113. , , , .
- The pituitary effects of GnRH. Animal Reprod Sci. 2005;88: 75–94. , .
- Progesterone, testosterone and estradiol-17 beta inhibit gonadotropin-releasing hormone stimulation of G protein GTPase activity in plasma membranes from rat anterior pituitary lobe. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1992;126: 345–349. , .
- Effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone on rat gonadotropin gene transcription in vitro: requirement for pulsatile administration for luteinizing hormone-beta gene stimulation. Mol Endocrinol. 1990;4: 1444–1450. .
- Gonadotropin gene modulation by steroids and gonadotropin-releasing hormone. Biol Reprod. 1996;54: 279–286. .
- Peptides co-released with luteinizing hormone by perifused pituitary cell aggregates. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1988;60: 151–161. , , , .
- Cystatin-related epididymal spermatogenic protein colocalizes with luteinizing hormone-beta protein in mouse anterior pituitary gonadotropes. Endocrinology. 1999;140: 2721–2732. , , .
- Testosterone acts directly at the pituitary to regulate gonadotropin-releasing hormone-induced calcium signals in male rat gonadotropes. Endocrinology. 1997;138: 3314–3319. , , .
- Effects of pulsatile pituitary adenylate cyclase activating polypeptide (PACAP) on gonadotropin secretion and subunit mRNA levels in perifused rat pituitary cells. Life Sci. 1995;56: 1103–1111. , .
- Divergent responses of gonadotropin subunit messenger RNAs to continuous versus pulsatile gonadotropin-releasing hormone in vitro. Mol Endocrinol. 1990;4: 557–564. , , , .
- The neuroendocrine protein 7B2 is required for peptide hormone processing in vivo and provides a novel mechanism for pituitary Cushing's disease. Cell. 1999;96: 689–700. , , , , , , , , .
- Effects of testosterone on gonadotropin subunit messenger ribonucleic acids in the presence or absence of gonadotropin-releasing hormone. Endocrinology. 1992;130: 726–734. , , , , .