Present address: Department of Animal Science, Rutgers University, 84 Lipman Dr, New Brunswick, NJ 08901–8525.
Transgenerational Effect of the Endocrine Disruptor Vinclozolin on Male Spermatogenesis
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2006 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 868–879, November-December 2006
How to Cite
Anway, M. D., Memon, M. A., Uzumcu, M. and Skinner, M. K. (2006), Transgenerational Effect of the Endocrine Disruptor Vinclozolin on Male Spermatogenesis. Journal of Andrology, 27: 868–879. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.106.000349
Supported by an EPA Star grant and NIH NIEHS grant (M.K.S.).
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication April 13, 2006; accepted for Publication July 11, 2006
- Epigenetic transgenerational actions of endocrine disruptors and male fertility. Science. 2005;308: 1466–1469. , , , .
- Elevated mutation rates in the germ line of first- and second-generation offspring of irradiated male mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99: 6877–6882. , , , , .
- The fetal basis of amyloidogenesis: exposure to lead and latent overexpression of amyloid precursor protein and beta-amyloid in the aging brain. J Neurosci. 2005;25: 823–829. , , , , , , , .
- Exposure of juvenile guppies to three antiandrogens causes demasculinization and a reduced sperm count in adult males. Aquat Toxicol (Amst). 2002;56: 227–239. , , .
- Neuroendocrine and reproductive effects of contemporary-use pesticides. Toxicol Ind Health. 1999;15: 26–36. , , .
- Methoxychlor as a model for environmental estrogens. Crit Rev Toxicology. 1997;27: 367–379. .
- Environmental exposures that affect the endocrine system: public health implications. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 1998;1: 3–26. , , , .
- Pluripotential stem cells derived from migrating primordial germ cells. Differentiation. 2001;68: 220–226. , , .
- Environmental anti-androgens and male reproductive health: focus on phthalates and testicular dysgenesis syndrome. Reproduction. 2004;127: 305–315. .
- Developmental effects of an environmental antiandrogen: the fungicide vinclozolin alters sex differentiation of the male rat. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1994;129: 46–52. , , .
- Environmental signaling and evolutionary change: can exposure of pregnant mammals to environmental estrogens lead to epigenetically induced evolutionary changes in embryos? Evol Dev. 2005;7: 341–350. , , .
- Epigenetic reprogramming in mouse primordial germ cells. Mech Dev. 2002;117: 15–23. , , , , , , , .
- The fetal basis of adult disease: role of environmental exposures—introduction. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2005;73: 131–132. .
- Fresh frozen plasma for acute exacerbations of hereditary angioedema. Am J Emerg Med. 2004;22: 633. , , .
- Environmental hormone disruptors: evidence that vinclozolin developmental toxicity is mediated by antiandrogenic metabolites. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1994;126: 276–285. , , , , .
- Sex steroids reduce DNaseI accessibility of androgen receptor promoter in adult male mice brain. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;131: 1–7. , .
- Kvist U., Björndahl L., eds. Manual on Basic Semen Analysis. Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press; 2002; 14–17.
- Estrogenic activity of octylphenol, nonylphenol, bisphenol A and methoxychlor in rats. Toxicol Sci. 2000;54: 154–167. , , , , .
- Loss of estrogen receptor signaling triggers epigenetic silencing of downstream targets in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2004;64: 8184–8192. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Neonatal diethylstilbestrol exposure induces persistent elevation of c-fos expression and hypomethylation in its exon-4 in mouse uterus. Mol Carcinog. 2003a;38: 78–84. , , , , , .
- Environmental exposure, DNA methylation, and gene regulation: lessons from diethylstilbesterol-induced cancers. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003b;983: 161–169. , , , , .
- Sperm DNA damage and cancer treatment. Int J Androl. 2002;25: 255–261. .
- Long-term apoptotic cell death process with increased expression and activation of caspase-3 and −6 in adult rat germ cells exposed in utero to flutamide. Endocrinology. 2003;144: 648–661. , , , , , , , .
- Biotransformation of vinclozolin by the fungus Cunninghamella elegans. J Agric Food Chem. 2000;48: 6138–6148. , , , , .
- Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance. Curr Biol. 2003;13: R6. , .
- Genomic imprinting: parental influence on the genome. Nat Rev Genet. 2001;2: 21–32. , .
- Daily sperm production and epididymal sperm reserves of pubertal and adult rats. J Reprod Fertil. 1978;54: 103–107. , , .
- The transcriptional response to androgens of the rat VCSA1 gene is amplified by both binary and graded mechanisms. Endocrinology. 2001;142: 4550–4559. , , , .
- Inactivation of the human androgen receptor gene is associated with CpG hypermethylation in uterine endometrial cancer. Mol Carcinog. 2000;29: 59–66. , , , , .
- Hormones and testis development and the possible adverse effects of environmental chemicals. Toxicol Lett. 2001;120: 221–232. .
- Have sperm densities declined? A reanalysis of global trend data. Environ Health Perspect. 1997;105: 1228–1232. , , .
- Role of CTCF binding sites in the Igf2/H19 imprinting control region. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24: 4791–4800. , , , , .
- Copulation induces an acute increase in epididymal sperm numbers in rats. J Reprod Fertil. 1985;73: 323–327. , , , .
- Expression of RFG/ELE1alpha/ARA70 in normal and malignant prostatic epithelial cell cultures and lines: regulation by methylation and sex steroids. Mol Carcinog. 2001;30: 1–13. , , , , .
- Anthelmintic efficacy of triclabendazole against Fasciola hepatica in sheep. Vet Rec. 1984;114: 41–42. , , .
- Increased multiplicity of lung adenomas in five generations of mice treated with benz(a)pyrene when pregnant. Cancer Lett. 1990;55: 227–231. , , .
- Effect of the anti-androgenic endocrine disruptor vinclozolin on embryonic testis cord formation and postnatal testis development and function. Reprod Toxicol. 2004;18: 765–774. , , .
- Immunotoxicity of pesticides: a review. Toxicol Ind Health. 1999;15: 119–132. , , , .
- Imprinting and disease. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2003;14: 101–110. , .
- Characterization of the period of sensitivity of fetal male sexual development to vinclozolin. Toxicol Sci. 2000;55: 152–61. , , , .
- A maternal low protein diet during pregnancy and lactation in the rat impairs male reproductive development. J Physiol. 2005;563: 275–284. , , , , , , , , .
- Maintenance of advanced spermatogenic cells in the adult rat testis: quantitative relationship to testosterone concentration within the testis. Endocrinology. 1989;124: 3043–3049. , , , .