Protamine Levels Vary Between Individual Sperm Cells of Infertile Human Males and Correlate With Viability and DNA Integrity
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2006 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 890–898, November-December 2006
How to Cite
Aoki, V. W., Emery, B. R., Liu, L. and Carrell, D. T. (2006), Protamine Levels Vary Between Individual Sperm Cells of Infertile Human Males and Correlate With Viability and DNA Integrity. Journal of Andrology, 27: 890–898. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.106.000703
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication May 16, 2006; accepted for Publication July 24, 2006
- Human protamines and the developing spermatid: their structure, function, expression and relationship with male infertility. Asian J Androl. 2003;5: 315–324. , .
- Identification and evaluation of a novel sperm protamine abnormality in a population of infertile males. Hum Reprod. 2005;20: 1298–1306. , , .
- DNA integrity is compromised in protamine-deficient human sperm. J Androl. 2005;26: 741–748. , , , , , .
- Protamine mediated condensation of DNA in mammalian sperm. In: Gagnon C., ed. The Male Gamete: From Basic Science to Clinical Applications. Vienna, Ill: Cache River Press; 1999: 55–70. , , .
- Aberrant protamine 1/protamine 2ratios in sperm of infertile human males. Experientia. 1988;44: 52–55. , , .
- Human male infertility may be due to a decrease of the protamine P2 content in sperm chromatin. Mol Reprod Dev. 1993;34: 53–57. , , , .
- Effect of deoxyribonucleic acid protamination on fluorochrome staining and in situ nick-translation of murine and human mature spermatozoa. Biol Reprod. 1993;49: 1083–1088. , , , , .
- Altered protamine 2 expression is uncommon in donors of known fertility, but common among men with poor fertilizing capacity, and may reflect other abnormalities of spermiogenesis. J Androl. 2001;22: 604–610. , .
- [Protamine precursors in human spermatozoa]. Reprod Nutr Dev. 1990;30: 343–347. , , , .
- Anomalous protein complement of sperm nuclei in some infertile men. Lancet. 1987;2: 806–807. , , , , .
- Protamine 2 deficiency leads to sperm DNA damage and embryo death in mice. Biol Reprod. 2003;69: 211–217. , , , , , , , , .
- Haploinsufficiency of protamine-1 or −2 causes infertility in mice. Nat Genet. 2001;28: 82–86. , , , , , , .
- Nuclear maturity of human spermatozoa selected by swim-up or by Percoll gradient centrifugation procedures. Fertil Steril. 1996;65: 160–164. , , .
- Protamine 1: protamine 2stoichiometry in the sperm of eutherian mammals. Mol Reprod Dev. 2002;61: 519–527. , , .
- Expression of mammalian spermatozoal nucleoproteins. Microsc Res Tech. 2003;61: 56–75. .
- Complete selective absence of protamine P2 in humans. J Biol Chem. 1993;268: 10553–10557. , , , , .
- Detection of P2 precursors in the sperm cells of infertile patients who have reduced protamine P2 levels. Fertil Steril. 1998;69: 755–759. , , , , , .
- Sperm chromatin. Arch Androl. 2000;45: 215–225. , , .
- Predictive value of sperm chromatin condensation (aniline blue staining) in the assessment of male fertility. Arch Androl. 2001;46: 99–104. , , .
- Molecular mechanisms of male germ cell differentiation. Bioessays. 1998;20: 555–561. .
- Post-meiotic gene expression during spermatogenesis. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1988;267: 291–313. .
- Presence of endogenous nicks in DNA of ejaculated human spermatozoa and its relationship to chromomycin A3 accessibility. Biol Reprod. 1995;52: 864–867. , , , , , , .
- DNA strand breaks in ejaculated human spermatozoa: comparison of susceptibility to the nick translation and terminal transferase assays. Histochem J. 1998;30: 33–39. , , , , , .
- Relationship between protamine deficiency with fertilization rate and incidence of sperm premature chromosomal condensation post-ICSI. Andrologia. 2004;36: 95–100. , , , , .
- Vertebrate protamine genes and the histone-to-protamine replacement reaction. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol. 1991;40: 25–94. , .
- The use of two density gradient centrifugation techniques and the swim-up method to separate spermatozoa with chromatin and nuclear DNA anomalies. Hum Reprod. 2000;15: 1112–1116. , , , , , , .
- Sperm nuclear histone to protamine ratio in fertile and infertile men: evidence of heterogeneous subpopulations of spermatozoa in the ejaculate. J Androl. 2006;27: 414–420. , , .