Supported in part by grant HD00997 from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (J.L.P.).
Acute Effect of Vasectomy on the Function of the Rat Epididymal Epithelium and Vas Deferens
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2006 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 826–836, November-December 2006
How to Cite
Lavers, A. E., Swanlund, D. J., Hunter, B. A., Tran, M. L., Pryor, J. L. and Roberts, K. P. (2006), Acute Effect of Vasectomy on the Function of the Rat Epididymal Epithelium and Vas Deferens. Journal of Andrology, 27: 826–836. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.106.000745
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication May 22, 2006; accepted for Publication June 30, 2006
- Relationship between time period after vasectomy and the reproductive capacity of sperm obtained by epididymal aspiration. Hum Reprod. 2002;17: 736–740. , , , , .
- Actions of the testicular paracrine factor (P-Mod-S) on Sertoli cell transferrin secretion throughout pubertal development. Endocrinology. 1991;129: 353–360. , , .
- Fuchs EF, Konnak JW, Sharlip ID. Results of 1,469 microsurgical vasectomy reversals by the Vasovasostomy Study Group. J Urol. 1991;145: 505–511. , ,
- Transferrin: evolution and genetic regulation of expression. Adv Genet. 1988;25: 1–38. , , .
- Purification of rat epididymal proteins “D” and “E”, demonstration of shared immunological determinants, and identification of regional synthesis and secretion. Int J Androl. 1982;5: 513–524. .
- Characterization and androgen-dependence of proteins associated with luminal fluid and spermatozoa in the rat epididymis. J Reprod Fertil. 1980;59: 363–375. , .
- Hepatic apolipoprotein J is secreted as a lipoprotein. J Lipid Res. 1992;33: 1517–1526. , , .
- Induction of the TRPM-2 gene in cells undergoing programmed death. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9: 3473–3481. , , , , , , .
- Osteopontin is strongly expressed by histiocytes in granulomas of diverse etiology. Lab Investig. 1997;77: 103–108. , , , , .
- Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem. 1987;162: 156–159. , .
- Regulation of sulfated glycoprotein-2(clusterin) messenger ribonucleic acid in the rat epididymis. Endocrinology. 1992;130: 2160–2166. , .
- Effect of vasectomy on gene expression in the epididymis of cynomolgus monkey. Biol Reprod. 2003;68: 781–788. , , , .
- Mouse androgen-dependent epididymal glycoprotein CRISP-1 (DE/AEG): isolation, biochemical characterization, and expression in recombinant form. Mol Reprod Dev. 1995;42: 157–172. , , , , , , , , , .
- Vasovasostomy: macroscopic approach and retrospective review. Tech Urol. 1999;5: 8–11. , .
- Effects of vasectomy on the epididymis. Microsc Res Tech. 1995;30: 82–100. , , .
- Purification and characterization of a sulfated glycoprotein secreted by Sertoli cells. Biochemistry. 1986;25: 7265–7270. , , .
- Epididymal epithelium: its contribution to the formation of a luminal fluid microenvironment. Microsc Res Tech. 1995;30: 67–81. , .
- Transferrin and sulfated glycoprotein-2 messenger ribonucleic acid levels in the testis and isolated Sertoli cells of hypophysectomized rats. Endocrinology. 1988;122: 1390–1396. , , .
- Intratubular hydrostatic pressure in testis and epididymis before and after vasectomy. Am J Physiol. 1975;228: 556–564. , .
- The mouse epididymal transcriptome: transcriptional profiling of segmental gene expression in the epididymis. Biol Reprod. 2005;73: 404–413. , , , , , , .
- Macroscopic vasovasostomy re-examined. Urology. 1991;38: 135–138. , .
- Anti-sperm antibodies and semen profiles in re-anastomosed men. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1993;5: 135–139. , , , .
- The molecular biology of the sperm surface. Post-testicular membrane remodelling. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;424: 221–232. , , , , .
- Cloning and characterization of the rat Crisp-1 gene. Gene. 1999;240: 279–288. , , , , , .
- The human cysteine-rich secretory protein (CRISP) family. Primary structure and tissue distribution of CRISP-1, CRISP-2 and CRISP-3. Eur J Biochem. 1996;236: 827–836. , , , , , .
- Characterization of an acidic glycoprotein secreted by principal cells of the rat epididymis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1981;668: 370–376. , .
- Vasectomy influences expression of HE1 but not HE2 and HE5 genes in human epididymis. J Androl. 2004;25: 30–43. , , .
- Clusterin upregulation following rubrospinal tract lesion in the adult rat. Exp Neurol. 1999;157: 69–76. , , .
- Clusterin (SGP-2) in epididymal luminal fluid and its association with epididymal spermatozoa in androgen-deprived rats. Mol Reprod. Dev. 1992;32: 73–80. , .
- Regulation of Sertoli cell transferrin and sulfated glycoprotein-2 messenger ribonucleic acid levels during the restoration of spermatogenesis in the adult hypophysectomized rat. Endocrinology. 1991;129: 3417–3423. , , , .
- Expression of crisp-1 mRNA splice variants in the rat epididymis, and comparative analysis of the rat and mouse crisp-1 gene regulatory regions. J Androl. 2001;22: 157–163. , , , .
- Inhibition of capacitation-associated tyrosine phosphorylation signaling in rat sperm by epididymal protein Crisp-1. Biol Reprod. 2003;69: 572–581. , , , .
- Osteopontin overview. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1995;760: 1–5. .
- Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor: CSHL Press America; 1989. , , .
- Isolation and characterization of the androgen-dependent mouse cysteinerich secretory protein-1 (CRISP-1) gene. Biochem J. 1997;321: 325–332. , , .
- Identification of osteopontin (OPN) mRNA and protein in the rat testis and epididymis, and on sperm. Mol Reprod Dev. 1995;40: 16–28. , , , .
- Microscopic vasectomy reversal. Fertil Steril. 1977;28: 1191–1202. .
- Identification of clusterin sequences mediating renal tubular cell interactions. J Pept Res. 1999;54: 449–457. , , , .
- A transferrinlike (hemiferrin) mRNA is expressed in the germ cells of rat testis. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11: 1448–1453. , , .
- A sulfated glycoprotein synthesized by Sertoli cells and by epididymal cells is a component of the sperm membrane. Biol Reprod. 1984;31: 1087–1101. , , .
- Protein synthesis and secretion by the rat caput epididymidis in vivo: influence of the luminal microenvironment. Biol Reprod. 1995;52: 1012–1019. , , .
- Obstruction of the vas deferens alters protein secretion by the rat caput epididymidal epithelium in vivo. J Androl. 1999;20: 289–297. , , , .
- Postvasectomy alterations in protein synthesis and secretion in the rat caput epididymidis are not repaired after vasovasostomy. J Androl. 2000;21: 276–290. , , , , , .
- Surgical outcome of microscopic vasectomy reversal: an analysis of 30 cases. Nagoya J Med Sci. 1997;60: 37–42. , , , , .
- Nuclear clusterin/XIP8, an x-ray-induced Ku70-binding protein that signals cell death. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97: 5907–5912. , , , , , , .