Rab4A GTPase—Catenin Interactions Are Involved in Cell Junction Dynamics in the Testis
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2007 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 28, Issue 5, pages 742–754, September-October 2007
How to Cite
Mruk, D. D., Lau, A. S. N., Sarkar, O. and Xia, W. (2007), Rab4A GTPase—Catenin Interactions Are Involved in Cell Junction Dynamics in the Testis. Journal of Andrology, 28: 742–754. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.106.002204
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication November 18, 2006; accepted for publication May 7, 2007
- Endocytic traffic in polarized epithelial cells: role of the actin and microtubule cytoskeleton. Traffic. 2001;2: 149–159. .
- Identification, isolation, and characterization of a 41-kilodalton protein from rat germ cell-conditioned medium exhibiting concentration-dependent dual biological activities. Endocrinology. 1997;138: 3259–3268. , , , .
- Ability of trypsin in mimicking germ cell factors that affect Sertoli cell secretory function. J Cell Physiol. 1996;168: 123–133. , , , .
- 3β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in the mouse Leydig cell. J Endocrinol. 1964;29: 9–17. , .
- 2000 Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia. JAVMA. 2001;218: 669–696. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Disruption of the Golgi apparatus by brefeldin A blocks cell polarization and inhibits directed cell migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91: 5686–5689. , .
- The small GTPase Rab4A interacts with the central region of cytoplasmic dynein light intermediate chain-1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;281: 1141–1153. , , , , , .
- A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem. 1976;72: 248–254. .
- Cell-cell adhesion and signaling. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2002;14: 546–556. .
- The ins and outs of E-cadherin trafficking. Trends Cell Biol. 2004;14: 427–434. , .
- The primary structure of rat ribosomal protein S16. FEBS Lett. 1990;263: 85–88. , , , .
- Fer kinase/FerT and adherens junction dynamics in the testis: an in vitro and in vivo study. Biol Reprod. 2003;69: 656–672. , , , , .
- Rat clusterin isolated from primary Sertoli cell enriched culture medium is sulfated glycoprotein-2 (SGP-2). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1988;155: 398–404. , , , , .
- Identification of hormonally responsive proteins in primary Sertoli cell culture medium by anion-exchange high performance liquid chromatography. Endocrinology. 1986;118: 480–488. , , , .
- Structural analysis of clusterin and its subunits in ram rete testis fluid. Biochemistry. 1988;27: 4079–4088. , , .
- Cell junction dynamics in the testis: Sertoligerm cell interactions and male contraceptive development. Physiol Rev. 2002;82: 825–874. , .
- Two new male contraceptives exert their effects by depleting germ cells prematurely from the testis. Biol Reprod. 2001;65: 449–461. , , , , , , , , , .
- Is cadmium chloride-induced inter-Sertoli tight junction permeability barrier disruption a suitable in vitro model to study the events of junction disassembly during spermatogenesis in the rat testis? Endocrinology. 2001;142: 1878–1888. , .
- Evidence for cross-talk between Sertoli and germ cells using selected cathepsins as markers. J Androl. 1998;19: 686–703. , , , , , .
- Effects of AF1312 TS and lonidamine on mammalian testis. A morphological study. Chemotherapy. 1981;27(suppl 2): 27–42. , , , , .
- Signaling from adherens-type junctions. Eur J Cell Biol. 2005;84: 235–244. , , .
- Pure Sertoli cell cultures: a new model for the study of somatic-germ cell interactions. J Androl. 1981;5: 249–259. , , , , .
- The Sertoli cell occluding junctions and gap junctions in mature and developing mammalian testis. Dev Biol. 1976;50: 142–168. , , .
- Reversible inhibition of spermatogenesis in rats using a new male contraceptive, 1-(2,4-dichlorobenzyl)-indazole-3-carbohydrazide. Biol Reprod. 2001;64: 1500–1508. , , .
- Rat testin is a newly identified component of the junctional complexes in various tissues whose mRNA is predominantly expressed in the testis and ovary. Biol Reprod. 1995;52: 340–355. , , , , , .
- The Rab5effector Rabaptin-5 and its isoform Rabaptin-5δ differ in their ability to interact with the small GTPase Rab4. FEBS J. 2005; 272: 37–46. , , , , .
- Rab8B GTPase and junction dynamics in the testis. Endocrinology. 2003;144: 1549–1563. , .
- Zyxin, axin, and Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome protein are adaptors that link the cadherin/catenin protein complex to the cytoskeleton at adherens junctions in the seminiferous epithelium of the rat testis. J Androl. 2004;25: 200–215. , , , .
- Is the cadherin/catenin complex a functional unit of cell-cell-actin-based adherens junctions (AJ) in the rat testis? Biol Reprod. 2003;68: 489–508. , , , .
- Rab11 in recycling endosomes regulates the sorting and basolateral transport of E-cadherin. Mol Biol Cell. 2005; 16: 1744–1755. , .
- The small GTPase Rab13 regulates assembly of functional tight junctions in epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13: 1819–1831. , , , , , , , .
- Endocytic recycling. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2004;5: 121–132. , .
- Organization and function of the cytoskeleton in polarized epithelial cells: a component of the protein sorting machinery. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1994;6: 16–24. , , .
- Occludin is concentrated at tight junctions of mouse/rat but not human/guinea pig Sertoli cell testes. Am J Physiol. 1998;274: C1708–C1717. , , , , , , .
- Rat testicular extracellular superoxide dismutase (SODEX): its purification, cellular distribution, and regulation. Biol Reprod. 1998;59: 298–308. , , , , , , , .
- Sertolin is a novel gene marker of cell-cell interactions in the rat testis. J Biol Chem. 1999;274: 27056–27068. , .
- Sertoli-Sertoli and Sertoli-germ cell interactions and their significance in germ cell movement in the seminiferous epithelium during spermatogenesis. Endocr Rev. 2004; 25: 747–806. , .
- Role of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteases-1 in junction dynamics in the testis. J Androl. 2003;24: 510–523. , , , , , .
- Rabaptin4, a novel effector of the small GTPase Rab4A, is recruited to perinuclear recycling vesicles. Biochem J. 2000;346: 593–601. , , , , , , , , .
- Purification of IgG by precipitation with sodium sulfate or ammonium sulfate. In: Walker JM, ed. The Protein Protocols Handbook. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 2001a: 983–984. , .
- Purification of IgG using DEAE-Sepharose chromatography. In: Walker JM, ed. The Protein Protocols Handbook. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 2001b: 987–988. , .
- An essential role for ARF6-regulated membrane traffic in adherens junction turnover and epithelial cell migration. EMBO J. 2001;20: 4973–4986. , , , , .
- Lysosomal targeting of E-cadherin: a unique mechanism for the down-regulation of cell-cell adhesion during epithelial to mesenchymal transitions. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25: 389–402. , , , .
- Alkaline phosphatase is a marker for myoid cells in cultures of rat peritubular and tubular tissue. Biol Reprod. 1988;39: 1101–1109. , .
- Endogenous steroids in the rat seminiferous tubules. Comparison of the stages of the epithelial cycle isolated by transillumination-assisted microdissection. J Androl. 1982;3: 211–220. , .
- Identification and enzyme quantification of the stages of the seminiferous epithelial wave in the rat. Anat Rec. 1972;174: 435–450. , .
- Sticky business: orchestrating cellular signals at adherens junctions. Cell. 2003;112: 535–548. , , .
- Identification of cytoskeleton-associated proteins in isolated rat liver endosomes. Biochem J. 1997;327: 741–746. , , .
- Molecular links between endocytosis and the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2000;150: F111–F116. , , .
- Form, dimensions, and cytology of mammalian Sertoli cells. In: Russell LD, Griswold MD, eds. The Sertoli Cell. Clearwater, Fla: Cache River Press; 1993: 1–37. .
- Postnatal development of the Sertoli cell barrier, tubular lumen, and cytoskeleton of Sertoli and myoid cells in the rat, and their relationship to tubular fluid secretion and flow. Am J Anat. 1989;184: 179–189. , , .
- Rab GTPases and myosin motors in organelle motility. Traffic. 2004;5: 393–399. , .
- Regulation of G-protein coupled receptor endocytosis and trafficking by Rab GTPases. Life Sci. 2003;74: 225–235. , .
- Differentiation of the epithelial apical junctional complex during mouse preimplantation development: a role for Rab13 in the early maturation of the tight junction. Mech Dev. 2000;97: 93–104. , , , , , , , , .
- Lonidamine and related compounds. Prog Med Chem. 1984;21: 110–135. , , .
- Rab GTPases coordinate endocytosis. J Cell Sci. 2000;113: 183–192. , .
- The Rab GTPase family. Genome Biol. 2001;2: 3007.3001–3007.3007. , .
- Small GTP-binding proteins. Physiol Rev. 2001;81: 153–208. , , .
- Distinct Rab-binding domains mediate the interaction of rabaptin-5 with GTP-bound Rab4 and Rab5. EMBO J. 1998;17: 1941–1951. , , , , , , .
- The normal development of the blood-testis barrier and the effects of clomiphene and estrogen treatment. Anat Rec. 1973;176: 333–344. , , .
- Germ cell-Sertoli cell interactions: regulation by germ cells of the stage-specific expression of CP-2/cathepsin L mRNA by Sertoli cells. Dev Genet. 1995;16: 104–113. , , , .
- TGF-β3 regulates anchoring junction dynamics in the seminiferous epithelium of the rat testis via the Ras/ERK signaling pathway: an in vivo study. Dev Biol. 2005;280: 321–343. , .
- New perspectives on mechanisms involved in generating epithelial cell polarity. Physiol Rev. 1999;79: 73–98. , , .
- Complete coding sequences of the Ras related Rab 3 and 4 cDNAs. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16: 1204. , , , .
- Rab proteins as membrane organizers. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2001;2: 107–117. , .
- Rat seminiferous tubular culture medium contains a biological factor that inhibits Leydig cell steroidogenesis: its purification and mechanism of action. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1994;104: 213–227. , .