Effects of Long-Term Castration on the Smooth Muscle Cell Phenotype of the Rat Ventral Prostate
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2007 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 28, Issue 5, pages 777–783, September-October 2007
How to Cite
Antonioli, E., Cardoso, A. B. and Carvalho, H. F. (2007), Effects of Long-Term Castration on the Smooth Muscle Cell Phenotype of the Rat Ventral Prostate. Journal of Andrology, 28: 777–783. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.107.002873
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication March 26, 2007; accepted for publication May 21, 2007
- Smooth muscle cell behavior in prostate of castrated rats. J Androl. 2004;25: 135–141. , , .
- Modulation of the differentiation status of cultured prostatic smooth muscle cells by an α1-adrenergic receptor antagonist. Prostate. 1999;39: 226–233. , , , , , .
- Basement membrane associated changes in the rat ventral prostate following castration. Cell Biol Int. 1996;20: 809–819. , .
- Elastic system of the rat ventral prostate and its modifications following orchiectomy. Prostate. 1997;32: 27–34. , , .
- Smooth muscleepithelial interactions in normal and neoplastic prostatic development. Acta Anat. 1996;155: 63–72. , , , .
- Smooth muscle cells on the move: the battle for actin. Cardiovasc Res. 2002;54: 499–502. , .
- Early effects of estrogen on the rat ventral prostate. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2005;38: 487–497. , , .
- Smooth muscle cell origin and its relation to heterogeneity in development and disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999;19: 1589–1594. , , , .
- Stromal development in the ventral prostate, anterior prostate and seminal vesicle of the rat. Acta Anat. 1996;155: 94–103. , , , , , , , .
- The prostate: development and physiology. Radiol Clin North Am. 2000;38: 1–14. , .
- Testosterone action on the ventral prostate lobe of the castrated rat as assessed with a stereologic morphometric method. Am J Anat. 1981;165: 199–209. , , .
- The role of androgen in the regulation of programmed cell death/apoptosis in normal and malignant prostatic tissue. Semin Cancer Biol. 1994;5: 391–400. , , .
- Androgen and prostatic stroma. Asian Androl. 2003;5: 19–26. , , , , , .
- Proliferation and differentiation of prostatic stromal cells. BJU Int. 2001;87: 386–393. , , , , , .
- Molecular regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell differentiation in development and disease. Physiol Rev. 2004;84: 767–801. , , .
- Androgen receptor localization in different cell types of the adult rat prostate. Endocrinology. 1991;129: 3187–3199. , , .
- Expression of the smoothelin gene is mediated by alternative promoters. Cardiovasc Res. 2002;55: 850–863. , , , , , .
- Loss of CREB regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell quiescence in diabetes. Rev Endocr Metabol Dis. 2004;5: 209–219. , .
- Rapid reduction in blood flow to the rat ventral prostate gland after castration: preliminary evidence that androgens influence prostate size by regulating blood flow to the prostate gland and prostatic endothelial cell survival. Prostate. 1998;36: 201–206. , , , , , , .
- Early effects of castration on the vascular system of the rat ventral prostate gland. Endocrinology. 1999;140: 1920–1926. , , , , , , , , .
- The relative proportion of stromal and epithelial hyperplasia is related to the development of symptomatic BPH. J Urol. 1992;147: 1293–1297. , , , .
- Reactive stroma in prostate cancer progression. J Urol. 2001;166: 2472–2483. , , .
- Reactive stroma in human prostate cancer: induction of myofibroblast phenotype and extracellular matrix remodeling. Clin Cancer Res. 2002;8: 2912–2923. , , , , , .
- Collagen fiber reorganization in the rat ventral prostate following androgen deprivation: a possible role for the smooth muscle cells. Prostate. 2000;45: 253–258. , , , .
- Modulation of smooth muscle cell function: morphological evidence for a contractile to synthetic transition in the rat ventral prostate after castration. Cell Biol Int. 2005;29: 809–816. , , .
- Transcriptional regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell phenotype [in German]. Z Kardiol. 2001;90(suppl 3): 12–16. , .
- Dedifferentiation of stromal smooth muscle as a factor in prostate carcinogenesis. Differentiation. 2002;70: 633–645. , .
- Estrogen-induced morphological and immunohistochemical changes in stroma and epithelium of rat ventral prostate. Prostate. 1992;21: 183–199. , , , , .