Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143.
Phosphorylation of Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 8 (MAPK8) Is Associated With Germ Cell Apoptosis and Redistribution of the Bcl2-Modifying Factor (BMF)
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2008 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages 338–344, May-June 2008
How to Cite
Show, M. D., Hill, C. M., Anway, M. D., Wright, W. W. and Zirkin, B. R. (2008), Phosphorylation of Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 8 (MAPK8) Is Associated With Germ Cell Apoptosis and Redistribution of the Bcl2-Modifying Factor (BMF). Journal of Andrology, 29: 338–344. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.107.003558
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication June 29, 2007; accepted for publication January 23, 2008
- Complete nucleotide sequence, expression, and chromosomal localisation of human mixed-lineage kinase 2. Eur J Biochem. 1995;234: 492–500. , , , , , , .
- MST/MLK2, a member of the mixed lineage kinase family, directly phosphorylates and activates SEK1, an activator of c-Jun N-terminal kinase/stress-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1997;272: 15167–15173. , , , , , , , .
- Inhibition of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase activity improves ischemia/reperfusion injury in rat lungs. J Immunol. 2004;172: 2569–2577. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Regulatory roles of JNK in programmed cell death. J Biochem. 2004;136: 1–6. , .
- Activation of the ERK and JNK signaling pathways caused by neuron-specific inhibition of PP2A in transgenic mice. Am J Pathol. 2003;163: 833–843. , , , .
- JNK phosphorylation of Bim-related members of the BCL2 family induces Bax-dependent apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100: 2432–2437. , .
- Ischemia-reperfusion of the murine testis stimulates the expression of proinflammatory cytokines and activation of c-jun N-terminal kinase in a pathway to E-selectin expression. Biol Reprod. 2003;69: 202–210. , , , .
- Testosterone withdrawal promotes stage-specific detachment of round spermatids from the rat seminiferous epithelium. Biol Reprod. 1996;55: 895–901. , , , , .
- Testosterone promotes the conversion of round spermatids between stages VII and VIII of the rat spermatogenic cycle. Endocrinology. 1994;135: 2608–2614. , , , .
- Localization of secretory, membrane-associated and cytoskeletal proteins in rat testis using an improved immunocytochemical protocol that employs polyester wax. Biol Reprod. 1993;48: 621–631. , .
- Regulation of the seminiferous epithelium. Endocr Rev. 1982;3: 404–417. .
- Expression of mixed lineage kinase 2 in germ cells of the testis. Mol Reprod Dev. 1999;52: 135–140. , , , .
- Keeping killers on a tight leash: transcriptional and post-translational control of the pro-apoptotic activity of BH3-only proteins. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9: 505–512. , .
- BMF: a proapoptotic BH3-only protein regulated by interaction with the myosin V actin motor complex, activated by anoikis. Science. 2001;293: 1829–1832. , , , , , , , .
- Degeneration of germ cells in normal, hypophysectomized and hormone treated hypophysectomized rats. Anat Rec. 1977;187: 347–366. , .
- Vasectomy impairs spermatogenesis through germ cell apoptosis mediated by the p53-Bax pathway in rats. J Urol. 2001;166: 1565–1571. , , .
- Activation of mitogen activated protein kinases and apoptosis of germ cells after vasectomy in the rat. J Urol. 2002;168: 1273–1278. , , , .
- Testicular expression and distribution of the rat BCL2 modifying factor in response to reduced intratesticular testosterone. Biol Reprod. 2004;70: 1153–1161. , , , .
- Mitogen-activated protein kinases and their role in regulation of cellular processes. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2002;21: 231–255. , , .
- Lysosomal integral membrane proteins exhibit region and cell type specific distribution in the epididymis of the adult rat. Anat Rec. 1992;232: 85–96. , , .
- A novel assay to measure loss of plasma membrane asymmetry during apoptosis of adherent cells in culture. Cytometry. 1996;24: 131–139. , , , .