Ontogeny of Expression and Localization of Steroidogenic Enzymes in the Neonatal and Prepubertal Pig Testes
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2009 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 57–74, January-February 2009
How to Cite
Choi, I., Kim, J.-Y., Lee, E. J., Kim, Y. Y., Chung, C. S., Chang, J., Choi, N.-J., Chung, H.-J. and Lee, K.-H. (2009), Ontogeny of Expression and Localization of Steroidogenic Enzymes in the Neonatal and Prepubertal Pig Testes. Journal of Andrology, 30: 57–74. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.107.004796
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication January 29, 2008; accepted for publication August 27, 2008
- Development of some male characteristics supported by oestrone but not dehydroepiandrosterone in the boar. J Reprod Fertil. 1983;68: 9–16. .
- Cytochrome P450 aromatase in male germ cells. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 1997;35: 195–202. , .
- Testicular expression of steroidogenic enzyme genes is related to a transient increase in serum 19-nortestosterone during neonatal development in pigs. Asian Aust J Anim Sci. 2007;20: 1832–1842. , , , , , , , , , .
- Estradiol and testosterone metabolic clearance and production rates during pubertal development in boars. Biol Reprod. 1984;31: 905–912. , , .
- Transcriptional regulation of the lutropin/human choriogonadotropin receptor and three enzymes of steroidogenesis by growth factors in cultured pig Leydig cells. Eur J Biochem. 1996;239: 8–16. , , , .
- Regulation by gonadotropins of the messenger ribonucleic acid for P450 side-chain cleavage, P450(17) alpha-hydroxylase/C17,20-lyase, and 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in cultured pig Leydig cells. Biol Reprod. 1996;55: 347–354. , , , .
- Oestrogens, compared to other steroids of testicular origin, in blood plasma of boars. Acta Endocrinol. 1980;94: 404–411. , .
- Changes in serum testosterone concentrations in the male pig during development. J Reprod Fertil. 1978;53: 377–380. , , .
- The role of cytochrome P450 17 α-hydroxylase and 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in the integration of gonadal and adrenal steroidogenesis via the δ5 and δ4 pathways of steroidogenesis in mammals. Biol Reprod. 1997;56: 789–799. , .
- Functional aromatase expression in porcine adrenal gland and testis. Biol Reprod. 1996;54: 497–505. , , , , , , .
- Ontogeny of steroidogenic enzyme expression in the porcine conceptus. J Mol Endocrinol. 1994;12: 155–165. , , .
- Steroid entry into rete testis fluid and the blood-testis barrier. J Endocrinol. 1975;65: 195–205. , .
- Changes in testosterone metabolism associated with the evolution of placental and gonadal isozymes of porcine aromatase cytochrome P450. Endocrinology. 1999;140: 5202–5210. , , , .
- Endogenic nortestosterone in cattle? Analyst. 1994;119: 2581–2585. , , , , , , , , .
- Unique multifunctional HSD17B4 gene product: 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 4 and D-3-hydroxyacyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase/hydratase involved in Zellweger syndrome. J Mol Endocrinol. 1999;22: 227–240. , .
- Serum estrogen concentrations during postnatal development in male pigs. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1983;174: 160–164. .
- Cytochrome P450 aromatase in the testis of immature and mature pigs. Reprod Biol. 2001;1: 51–59. , , , , .
- Cell proliferation and hormonal changes during postnatal development of the testis in the pig. Biol Reprod. 2000;63: 1629–1636. , , , , .
- Porcine carbonyl reductase: structural basis for a functional monomer in short chain dehydrogenases/reductases. J Biol Chem. 2001;276: 18457–18463. , , , , , , .
- Changes of testicular aromatase expression during fetal development in male pigs (Sus scrofa). Reproduction. 2007;133: 323–330. , , , .
- Cytochrome P-450 C21scc: one enzyme with two actions: hydroxylase and lyase. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1991;40: 527–532. .
- Morphophysiological correlation of boar Leydig cell development during postnatal stage. Cornell Vet. 1983;73: 67–75. , , , , , .
- Carbonyl reductases and pluripotent hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamily. Drug Metab Rev. 2007;39: 87–144. , .
- Catalytic differences between porcine blastocyst and placental aromatase isozymes. Eur J Biochem. 2000;67: 6134–6139. , , , , , , , , .
- Localization and physiological implication of aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase in reproductive tracts and spermatozoa of male rats. J Androl. 2002;23: 674–683. , , , , , , , .
- Anabolic steroids. Recent Prog Horm Res. 2002;57: 2411–434. .
- The key role of 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in sex steroid biology. Steroids. 1997;62: 148–158. , , , , , , .
- Time-course effects of human recombinant luteinzing hormone on porcine Leydig cell specific differentiated functions. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1998;144: 59–69. , , , , .
- Localization of immunoreactive testosterone and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/delta5-delta4 isomerase in cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis) testis during postnatal development. J Med Primatol. 1999;28: 62–66. , , , , .
- Evidence for the presence of endogenous 19-nortestosterone in the cow peripartum and in the neonatal calf. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1992;126: 369–373. , , , , , , .
- Regulation of microsomal P450, redox partner proteins, and steroidogenesis in the developing testes of the neonatal pig. Endocrinology. 2002;143: 3361–3369. , , , , , , .
- Expression of oestrogen receptors alpha and beta and of aromatase in the testis of immature and mature boars. Reprod Domest Anim. 2005;40: 2228–236. , , , .
- Ontogeny of testicular steroid dehydrogenase enzymes in pig (3 alpha/beta-,20 alpha- and 20 beta-): evidence for two forms of 3 alpha/beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1992;42: 17–21. , , .
- Reverse transcription-polymerase chain analysis of genes involved in gonadal differentiation in pigs. Biol Reprod. 1999;61: 741–748. , , .
- Hyperplasic and hypertrophic growth in organs and tissues of the neonatal pig. J Anim Sci. 1977;45: 722–728. , , .
- Immunohistochemical analysis of cytochrome P-450 17α-hydroxylase in pig adrenal cortex, testis and ovary. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1989;62: 197–202. , , .
- Plasma levels of several androgens and estrogens from birth to puberty in male domestic pigs. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1993;128: 173–177. , , , .
- Transport of free and conjugated steroids from the boar testis in lymph, venous blood and rete testis fluid. J Endocrinol. 1983;96: 127–136. , , , .
- The effect of early postnatal treatment with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist on the developmental profiles of testicular steroid hormones in the intact male pig. J Anim Sci. 2001;79: 1003–1010. , , , , .
- Nortestosterone: endogenous in urine of goats, sheep and mares? Analyst. 1998;123: 2633–2636. , , , , , .
- Immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization of P-45017α(17α-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase). J Histochem Cytochem. 1992;40: 903–908. , , , , .
- Pig testicular 20 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase exhibits carbonyl reductase-like structure and activity. cDNA cloning of pig testicular 20beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. J Biol Chem. 1992;267: 13451–13455. , , , , , .
- Immunolocalization of steroidogenic enzymes, P450scc, 3betaHSD, P450c17, and P450arom in the Hokkaido brown bear (Ursus arctos yesoensis) testis. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 1993;92: 439–444. , , , , , , .
- Histomorphometric aspects of testicular morphogenesis in the pig. Biol Reprod. 1977;17: 467–472. , .
- Leydig cell development in the testis of the pig. Biol Reprod. 1978;18: 86–93. , .
- Molecular cloning of testicular 20 α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase: identity with aldose reductase. Biochemistry. 1993;32: 423–426. , , , , .
- Immunolocalization of steroidogenic enzymes P450scc, 3betaHSD, P450c17, in Göttingen miniature pig testes. J Reprod Dev. 2005;51: 299–304. , , , , , .