Androgen Deprivation Therapy, Insulin Resistance, and Cardiovascular Mortality: An Inconvenient Truth
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2008 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 29, Issue 5, pages 534–539, September-October 2008
How to Cite
Basaria, S. (2008), Androgen Deprivation Therapy, Insulin Resistance, and Cardiovascular Mortality: An Inconvenient Truth. Journal of Andrology, 29: 534–539. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.108.005454
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication April 1, 2008; accepted for publication June 5, 2008
- Hypogonadism and androgen replacement therapy in elderly men. Am J Med. 2001;110: 563–572. , .
- Long-term effects of androgen deprivation therapy in prostate cancer patients. Clin Endocrinol. 2002;56: 779–786. , , , , , , .
- Hyperglycemia and insulin resistance in men with prostate carcinoma who receive androgen deprivation therapy. Cancer. 2006;106: 581–588. , , , , .
- Anabolic-androgenic steroid therapy in the treatment of chronic diseases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86: 5108–5117. , , .
- Metabolic syndrome in men with prostate cancer undergoing long-term androgen-deprivation therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24: 3979–3983. , , , , , , .
- Eligibility and response guidelines for phase II clinical trials in androgen-independent prostate cancer: recommendations from the Prostate-Specific Antigen Working Group. J Clin Oncol. 1999;17: 3461–3467. , , , , , et al.
- Low bone density and high percentage of body fat among men who were treated with androgen deprivation therapy for prostate carcinoma. Cancer. 2002;95: 2136–2144. , , , , , .
- Comparing treatments for localized prostate cancer—persisting uncertainty. JAMA. 1998;280: 1008–1010. .
- Critical evaluation of hormonal therapy for carcinoma of the prostate. Urology. 2002;60: 201–208. , , .
- Sex hormones influence on the immune system: basic and clinical aspects in autoimmunity. Lupus. 2004;13: 635–638. , , , , , , .
- Influence of androgen suppression therapy for prostate cancer on the frequency and timing of fatal myocardial infarctions. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25: 2420–2425. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Testosterone suppression in men with prostate cancer leads to an increase in arterial stiffness and hyperinsulinaemia. Clin Sci (Lond). 2003;104: 195–201. , , , , .
- The metabolic syndrome. Lancet. 2005;365: 1415–1428. , , .
- Expert Panel on Detection. Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. 2001;285: 2486–2497.
- The effect of hormonal therapy for prostate cancer on the electrocardiographic QT interval: phase 3results following treatment with leuprolide and goserelin, alone or with bicalutamide, and the GnRH antagonist abarelix. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22: 4578. , , , .
- Low levels of sex hormone-binding globulin and testosterone predict the development of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in men. MRFIT Research Group. Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Am J Epidemiol. 1996;143: 889–897. , , , , .
- Decreased testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentrations are associated with increased insulin and glucose concentrations in nondiabetic men. Metabolism. 1994;43: 599–603. , , , , .
- Studies on prostatic cancer. II. The effects of castration on advanced carcinoma of the prostate gland. Arch Surg. 1941;43: 209–223. , , .
- Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin. 2007;57: 43–66. , , , , , .
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24: 4448–4456. , , .
- Testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin predict the metabolic syndrome and diabetes in middle-aged men. Diabetes Care. 2004;27: 1036–1041. , , , , , , , .
- Association between androgen-deprivation therapy and incidence of diabetes among males with prostate cancer. Urology. 2007;70: 1104–1108. , , .
- Changes in bone mineral density and body composition during initial and long-term gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist treatment for prostate carcinoma. Cancer. 2005;104: 1633–1637. , , , .
- Changing patterns in competing causes of death in men with prostate cancer: a population based study. J Urol. 2004;171: 2285–2290. , , .
- The effects of testosterone treatment on body composition and metabolism in middle-aged obese men. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992;16: 991–997. , , , , , , , .
- Immediate hormonal therapy compared with observation after radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy in men with node-positive prostate cancer. N Engl J Med. 1999;341: 1781–1788. , , , , , .
- Endogenous sex hormones and metabolic syndrome in aging men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90: 2618–2623. , , , , .
- Increasing insulin resistance is associated with a decrease in Leydig cell testosterone secretion in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90: 2636–2641. , , , , , , .
- Androgen deprivation therapy increases cardiovascular morbidity in men with prostate cancer. Cancer. 2007;110: 1493–1500. , , , , , .
- Cause of death in men diagnosed with prostate carcinoma. Cancer. 1998;83: 1180–1188. , , .
- Increasing use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists for the treatment of localized prostate carcinoma. Cancer. 2005;103: 1615–1624. , , , , .
- Androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. JAMA. 2005;294: 238–244. , , .
- The effects of induced hypogonadism on arterial stiffness, body composition, and metabolic parameters in males with prostate cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86: 4261–4267. , , , , , , , , .
- Androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: new concepts and concerns. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2007;14: 247–254. .
- Changes in body composition during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87: 599–603. , , , , , , .
- Insulin sensitivity during combined androgen blockade for prostate cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91: 1305–1308. , , .
- Androgen deprivation therapy for localized prostate cancer and the risk of cardiovascular mortality. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007;99: 1516–1524. , , , , .