Dr Heufelder is in private practice in Munich, Germany.
Fifty- two—Week Treatment With Diet and Exercise Plus Transdermal Testosterone Reverses the Metabolic Syndrome and Improves Glycemic Control in Men With Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes and Subnormal Plasma Testosterone
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2009 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 30, Issue 6, pages 726–733, November-December 2009
How to Cite
Heufelder, A. E., Saad, F., Bunck, M. C. and Gooren, L. (2009), Fifty- two—Week Treatment With Diet and Exercise Plus Transdermal Testosterone Reverses the Metabolic Syndrome and Improves Glycemic Control in Men With Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes and Subnormal Plasma Testosterone. Journal of Andrology, 30: 726–733. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.108.007005
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for publication October 20, 2008; accepted for publication June 1, 2009
- The metabolic syndrome—a new worldwide definition. Lancet. 2005;366: 1059–1062. , , .
- Effects of two years of testosterone replacement on insulin secretion, insulin action, glucose effectiveness, hepatic insulin clearance and postprandial glucose turnover in elderly men. Diabetes Care. 2007;30: 1972–1978. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Lower sex hormone-binding globulin is more strongly associated with metabolic syndrome than lower total testosterone in older men: the Health in Men Study. Eur J Endocrinol. 2008;158: 785–92. , , , , , , , .
- Sex differences of endogenous sex hormones and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2006;295: 1288–1299. , , , .
- Androgen replacement therapy: present and future. Drugs. 2004;64: 1861–1891. , .
- American Heart Association National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Circulation. 2004;109: 433–438. , , , , ,
- The metabolic syndrome: inflammation, diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97: 3A–11A. .
- Concurrent improvement of the metabolic syndrome and lower urinary tract symptoms upon normalisation of plasma testosterone levels in hypogonadal elderly men. Andrologia. 2009;41: 7–13. , , , .
- Prediction of type 2 diabetes mellitus with alternative definitions of the metabolic syndrome: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study. Circulation. 2005;112: 3713–3721. , , , , , , .
- Androgen deficiency, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome in men: current opinion in endocrinology, diabetes, and obesity. 2007;14: 226–234. , .
- The effect of testosterone replacement therapy on adipocytokines and C-reactive protein in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes. Eur J Endocrinol. 2007;156: 595–602. , , , , .
- Testosterone replacement therapy improves insulin resistance, glycaemic control, visceral adiposity and hypercholesterolaemia in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;154: 899–906. , , , .
- An easily customized, random allocation system using the minimization method for multi-institutional clinical trials. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2000;62: 45–49. , , , , , .
- Serum adiponectin levels in hypogonadal males: influence of testosterone replacement therapy. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2004;60: 500–507. , , , .
- The effect of testosterone supplement on insulin sensitivity, glucose effectiveness, and acute insulin response after glucose load in male type 2 diabetics. Endocr Res. 2005;31: 139–148. , , , , , , , , .
- Correct homeostasis model assessment (HOMA) evaluation uses the computer program. Diabetes Care. 1998;21: 2191–2192. , , .
- Endogenous sex hormones and metabolic syndrome in aging men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90: 2618–2623. , , , , .
- Relationship between testosterone levels, insulin sensitivity, and mitochondrial function in men. Diabetes Care. 2005;28: 1636–1642. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Treatment of acute alcoholic hepatitis. Gut. 1972;13: 68–73. , .
- Insulin sensitivity during combined androgen blockade for prostate cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91: 1305–1308. , , .
- Testosterone in obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Front Horm Res. 2009;37: 74–90. , .
- Epidemiology: testosterone and the metabolic syndrome. Int J Impot Res. 2007;19: 124–128. .
- Waist circumference and testosterone levels in community dwelling men: the Tromso study. Eur J Epidemiol. 2004;19: 657–663. , , , .
- The dark side of testosterone deficiency: II: type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. J Androl. 2009;30: 23–32. , , .
- Acute sex steroid withdrawal reduces insulin sensitivity in healthy men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92: 4254–4259. , , , , , .
- Association of specific symptoms and metabolic risks with serum testosterone in older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91: 4335–4343. , , .