Replication Needed to Detect Alterations in the Composition of Rodent, Rabbit, or Human Testes via Volume Density Approaches
Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
2010 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 31, Issue 6, pages 607–616, November-December 2010
How to Cite
Berndtson, W. E. (2010), Replication Needed to Detect Alterations in the Composition of Rodent, Rabbit, or Human Testes via Volume Density Approaches. Journal of Andrology, 31: 607–616. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.110.010116
- Issue online: 2 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication January 19, 2010; Accepted for Publication July 12, 2010
- The male rabbit. IV. Quantitative testicular histology and comparisons between daily sperm production as determined histologically and daily sperm output. Fertil Steril. 1970; 21: 662–672. .
- Reproductive capacity of dairy bulls. VIII. Direct and indirect measurement of testicular sperm production. J Dairy Sci. 1962; 45: 774–781. , .
- Methods for quantifying mammalian spermatogenesis: a review. J Anim Sci. 1977; 44: 818–833. .
- Sampling intensities and replication requirements for detection of treatment effects on testicular function in bulls and stallions: a statistical assessment. J Anim Sci. 1989; 67: 213–225. .
- Replication requirements and number of ejaculates needed for assessing treatment effects on sperm output and seminal characteristics of electroejaculated Holstein bulls. J Anim Sci. 1990; 68: 709–718. .
- A simple, rapid and reliable method for selecting or assessing the number of replicates for animal experiments. J Anim Sci. 1991; 69: 67–76. .
- Comparative reliability and sensitivity of different methods for assessing treatment effects on sperm production. Anim Reprod Sci. 2008; 105: 5–22. .
- The importance and validity of technical assumptions required for quantifying sperm production rates: a review [published online ahead of print 29 July 2010]. J Androl. In press. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.109.008870. .
- Circulating LH and FSH levels and testicular function in hamsters during light deprivation and subsequent photoperiodic stimulation. Endocrinology. 1974; 95: 195–205. , .
- Optimal replication for histometric analyses of testicular function in rats and rabbits. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1989; 12: 291–302. , , , .
- Age as a factor influencing the power and sensitivity of experiments for assessing body weight, testis size, and spermatogenesis in rats. J Androl. 1990; 11: 325–335. , .
- Method for the quantitative morphologic analysis of tissues. Nat Cancer Inst. 1943; 4: 47–53. .
- The onset and establishment of spermatogenesis in rats in relation to gonadotrophin and testosterone levels. J Endocr. 1977; 75: 197–207. , .
- Quantitative histologic analysis of the effect of chronic wholebody irradiation with gamma rays on the spermatogenic elements and the interstitial tissue of the testes of mice. Nat Cancer Inst. 1948; 9: 133–147. , , .
- Use of quantitative testicular histology to assess the effect of dibromochloropropane (DBCP) on reproduction in rabbits. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1986; 6: 638–647. , , .
- Reproductive physiology of the stallion. II. Daily production and output of sperm. J Anim Sci. 1974; 39: 732–736. , , .
- Morphometric study of the prepubertal rabbit testis: germ cell numbers and seminiferous tubule dimensions. Am J Anat. 1991; 190: 266–272. , , .
- Germ cell degeneration in normal and microwave-irradiated rats: potential sperm production rates at different developmental steps in spermatogenesis. Anat Rec. 1984a; 209: 501–507. , , .
- Age-related changes in the Leydig cell population, seminiferous tubules, and sperm production in stallions. Biol Reprod. 1981; 24: 703–712. , .
- The relationship of biopsy evaluations and testicular measurements to over-all daily sperm production in human testes. Fertil Steril. 1980a; 34: 36–40. , , .
- A comparative study of daily sperm production and testicular composition in humans and rats. Biol Reprod. 1980b; 22: 1233–1243. , , .
- A new approach to quantification of spermatogenesis and its application to germinal cell attrition during human spermatogenesis. Biol Reprod. 1981; 25: 217–226. , , .
- Germ cell degeneration during postprophase of meiosis and serum concentrations of gonadotropins in young adult and older adult men. Biol Reprod. 1984b; 31: 779–784. , , , .
- Quantification of the human Sertoli cell population: its distribution, relation to germ cell numbers, and age-related decline. Biol Reprod. 1984c; 31: 785–795. , , , .
- Morphometric analysis of testicular Leydig cells in normal adult mice. Anat Rec. 1982; 204: 333–339. , , , .
- Daily sperm production and epididymal sperm reserves of pubertal and adult rats. J Reprod Fertil. 1978; 54: 103–107. , , .
- Russell LD, Ettlin RA, Hikim AP Sinha, Clegg ED. Histological and Histopathological Evaluation of the Testis. Clearwater, FL: Cache River Press; 1990.
- Principles and Procedures of Statistics. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Book Co; 1960. , .
- Structural composition of Shorthorn bull testes and daily spermatozoa production as determined by quantitative testicular histology. Can J Anim Sci. 1966; 46: 107–119. .
- The power function of the analysis of variance tests with tables and illustrations of their use. Stat Res Mem. 1938; 2: 126–149. .