New Immunophenotype of Blood Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Endothelial Microparticles in Patients With Arterial Erectile Dysfunction and Late-Onset Hypogonadism
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2011 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 32, Issue 5, pages 509–517, September-October 2011
How to Cite
La Vignera, S., Condorelli, R. A., Vicari, E., D'Agata, R. and Calogero, A. E. (2011), New Immunophenotype of Blood Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Endothelial Microparticles in Patients With Arterial Erectile Dysfunction and Late-Onset Hypogonadism. Journal of Andrology, 32: 509–517. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.110.011643
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication August 20, 2010; Accepted for Publication January 6, 2011
- Increase of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in patients with coronary artery disease after exercise-induced ischemia. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: 684–690. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Isolation of putative progenitor endothelial cells for angiogenesis. Science. 1997; 275 (5302): 964–967. , , , , , , , , .
- Effects of testosterone undecanoate on cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in middle-aged men with late-onset hypogonadism and metabolic syndrome: results from a 24-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Sex Med. 2010; 7: 3495–3503. , , , , , , .
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells correlate with erectile function in patients with coronary heart disease. Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 2184–2188. , , , .
- Correlation of duplex sonography with arteriography in patients with erectile dysfunction. Am J Roentgenol. 1993; 160: 71–73. , , .
- Molecular cloning and expression of murine vascular endothelial-cadherin in early stage development of cardiovascular system. Blood. 1996; 87: 630–642. , , , , , , , , .
- Cavernous artery intima-media thickness: a new parameter in the diagnosis of vascular erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2009; 6: 1117–1126. , , , , , .
- Human CD34+ AC133+ VEGFR-2+cells are not endothelial progenitor cells but distinct, primitive hematopoietic progenitors. Exp Hematol. 2007; 35: 1109–1118. , , , , , , , , , .
- Endothelial microparticles in diseases. Cell Tissue Res. 2009; 335: 143–151. , , , , , .
- Mobilized endothelial progenitor cells by granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor accelerate reendothelization and reduce vascular inflammation after intravascular radiation. Circulation. 2003; 108: 2918–2925. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The endothelial-erectile dysfunction connection: an essential update. J Sex Med. 2009; 6: 2390–2404. , .
- Relationship of microparticles to progenitor cells as a measure of vascular health in a diabetic population. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2010; 78: 329–337. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Urol A. 2010; 49: 26–31. .
- Stem/progenitor cells, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular regeneration. Open Cardiovasc Med J. 2010; 4: 97–104. .
- Phenotypic assessment of endothelial microparticles in diabetic and nondiabetic men with erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2008; 5: 1436–1442. , , , , , , , , .
- Endothelial microparticles correlate with erectile dysfunction in diabetic men. Int J Impot Res. 2007; 19: 161–166. , , , , , , , , , .
- Circulating CD34+ KDR+ endothelial progenitor cells correlate with erectile function and endothelial function in overweight men. J Sex Med. 2009; 6: 107–114. , , , , , , , , .
- Erectile dysfunction and coronary risk factors: prospective results from the Massachusetts male aging study. Prev Med. 2000; 30: 328–338. , , , , , , .
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells in subjects with erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res. 2005; 17: 288–290. , , , , , .
- Reduced number of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in hypogonadal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 91: 4599–4602. , , , , , , .
- Increased levels of osteocalcin-positive endothelial progenitor cells in patients affected by erectile dysfunction and cavernous atherosclerosis. J Sex Med. 2009; 7: 751–757. , , , , , .
- Increased osteocalcin-positive endothelial progenitor cells in hypogonadal male patients. J Endocrinol Invest. 2010; 33: 439–442. , , , , .
- Cardiovascular effect of testosterone replacement therapy in aging male. Acta Biomed. 2010; 81 (suppl 1): 101–106. , , , , .
- Erectile dysfunction as a predictor of cardiovascular events and death in diabetic patients with angiographically proven asymptomatic coronary artery disease. A potential protective role for statins and 5-phosphodiesterase inhibitors. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 2040–2044. , , , , , , , , .
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells in patients with unstable angina: association with systemic inflammation. Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 1003–1008. , , , , , , , , .
- The number of endothelial progenitor cell colonies in the blood is increased in patients with angiographically significant coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 1579–1587. , , , , .
- Involvement of Runx1 in the down-regulation of fetal liver kinase-1 expression during transition of endothelial cells to hematopoietic cells. Blood. 2005; 106: 1948–1955. , , , , , .
- Unresolved questions, changing definitions, and novel paradigms for defining endothelial progenitor cells. Blood. 2005; 106: 1525–1531. , , .
- Erectile dysfunction and coronary artery disease prediction: evidence-based guidance and consensus. Int J Clin Pract. 2010; 64: 848–857. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Measuring circulating cell-derived microparticles. J Thromb Haemostasis. 2004; 2: 1842–1851. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Serum free testosterone and metabolic syndrome in Japanese men. Endocr J. 2010; 57: 533–539. , , , , , , , , .
- Detection of circulating endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor cells by flow cytometry. Cytometry B. 2005; 64: 1–8. , , .
- Increased risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease in men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 1511–1522. , , , .
- Cytokine-induced mobilization of circulating endothelial progenitor cells enhances repair of injured arteries. Circulation. 2004; 110: 2039–2046. , , , , , , , .
- The molecular organization of endothelial cell to cell junctions: differential association of plakoglobin, b-catenin, and a-catenin with vascular endothelial cadherin (VE-cadherin). J Cell Biol. 1995; 129: 203–217. , , , , , , .
- A novel endothelial-specific membrane protein is a marker of cell-cell contacts. J Cell Biol. 1992; 118: 1511–1522. , , , , , , .
- Origin of circulating endothelial cells and endothelial outgrowth from blood. J Clin Invest. 2000; 105: 71–77. , , , .
- The relationship between sex hormones and the metabolic syndrome. Acta Biomed. 2010; 81 (suppl 1): 79–84. .
- Flow cytometric detection of circulating endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor cells in healthy subjects. Int J Lab Hematol. 2010; 32 (1 pt 1): e40–e48. , , , , .
- Quantification of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in human peripheral blood: establishing a reliable flow cytometry protocol. J Immunol Methods. 2010; 357: 38–42. , , , .
- Increased circulating hematopoietic and endothelial progenitor cells in the early phase of acute myocardial infarction. Blood. 2005; 105: 199–206. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Does testosterone have a role in erectile function? Am J Med. 2006; 119: 373–382. .
- Catenin-dependent and -independent functions of vascular endothelial cadherin. J Biol Chem. 1995; 270: 30965–30972. , , , , , .
- Prognostic value of endothelial microparticles in patients with heart failure. Eur J Heart Failure. 2010; 12: 1223–1228. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Current mechanistic scenarios in hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell mobilization. Blood. 2004; 103: 1580–1585. .
- Two distinct endothelial lineages in ontogeny, one of them related to hemopoiesis. Development. 1996; 122: 1363–1371. , , , , , .
- Endothelial progenitors in vascular repair and angiogenesis: how many are needed and what to do? Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets. 2008; 8: 185–193. , , .
- Peripheral blood “endothelial progenitor cells” are derived from monocyte/macrophages and secrete angiogenic growth factors. Circulation. 2003; 107 (8): 1164–1169. , , , .
- Development and evaluation of an abridged, 5 item version of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF-5) as a diagnostic tool for erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res. 1999; 11: 319–326. , , , , .
- Erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease. Mayo Clin Proc. 2004; 79: 782–794. , , .
- Circulating endothelial cells, microparticles and progenitors: key players towards the definition of vascular competence. J Cell Mol Med. 2009; 13: 454–471. , , , , .
- Effects of exercise and ischemia on mobilization and functional activation of blood-derived progenitor cells in patients with ischemic syndromes: results of 3 randomized studies. Circulation. 2005; 111: 3391–3399. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Biology of bone marrow-derived endothelial cell precursors. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007; 292: 1–18. , , .
- Circulating apoptotic progenitor cells: a novel biomarker in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007; 27: e27–e31. , , , , , .
- The evolving role of testosterone in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60: 1087–1092. , , , , , , .
- Characterizing blood microparticles: technical aspects and challenges. Vasc Health Risk Manage. 2008; 4: 769–774. .
- Penile duplex pharmaco-ultrasonography revisited: revalidation of the parameters of the cavernous arterial response. J Urol. 2003; 169: 216–220. , , , .
- Hypochlorous acid, a macrophage product, induces endothelial apoptosis and tissue factor expression: involvement of myeloperoxidase-mediated oxidant in plaque erosion and thrombogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004; 24: 1309–1314. , , , , , .
- Endothelial outgrowth cells are not derived from CD133+ cells or CD45+ hematopoietic precursors. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007; 27: 1572–1579. , , , , , , , , .
- The dark side of testosterone deficiency: III. Cardiovascular disease. J Androl. 2009; 30: 477–494. , , , .
- Endothelial progenitor cells: characterization and role in vascular biology. Circ Res. 2004; 95: 343–353. , .
- Flow cytometric detection of endothelial microparticles (EMP): effects of centrifugation and storage alter with the phenotype studied. Thromb Res. 2010; 125: 332–339. , , , , , , .
- Investigation, treatment and monitoring of late-onset hypogonadism in males. Int J Androl. 2009; 32: 1–10. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Intravenous transfusion of endothelial progenitor cells reduces neointima formation after vascular injury. Circ Res. 2003; 93: e17–e24. , , , , , , .
- The clinical implications of endothelial dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003; 42: 1149–1160. , , , .
- The nature and significance of platelet products in human plasma. Br J Haematol. 1967; 13: 269–288. .
- Proliferation, differentiation, and tube formation by endothelial progenitor cells in response to shear stress. J Appl Physiol. 2003; 95: 2081–2088. , , , , , , .
- Re-defining endothelial progenitor cells via clonal analysis and hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell principals. Blood. 2007; 109: 1801–1809. , , , , , , , , , .
- Synergistic neovascularization by mixed transplantation of early endothelial progenitor cells and late outgrowth endothelial cells: the role of angiogenic cytokines and matrix metalloproteinases. Circulation. 2005; 112: 618–627. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Testosterone deficiency, insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2009; 5: 673–681. .