National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892-4874
Development of Dimethandrolone 17β-Undecanoate (DMAU) as an Oral Male Hormonal Contraceptive: Induction of Infertility and Recovery of Fertility in Adult Male Rabbits
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
2011 American Society of Andrology
Journal of Andrology
Volume 32, Issue 5, pages 530–540, September-October 2011
How to Cite
Attardi, B. J., Engbring, J. A., Gropp, D. and Hild, S. A. (2011), Development of Dimethandrolone 17β-Undecanoate (DMAU) as an Oral Male Hormonal Contraceptive: Induction of Infertility and Recovery of Fertility in Adult Male Rabbits. Journal of Andrology, 32: 530–540. doi: 10.2164/jandrol.110.011817
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Received for Publication September 2, 2010; Accepted for Publication December 16, 2010
- Dimethandrolone undecanoate: a new potent orally active androgen with progestational activity. Endocrinology. 2006; 147: 3016–3026. , , .
- Relative progestational and androgenic activity of four progestins used for male hormonal contraception assessed in vitro in relation to their ability to suppress LH secretion in the castrate rat. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010; 328: 16–21. , , .
- Methyl testosterone, related steroids, and liver function. Arch Intern Med. 1965; 116: 289–294. , , , .
- Response of the rabbit seminiferous epithelium to testosterone administered via polydimethylsiloxane capsules. Endocrinology. 1973; 93: 450–460. , , .
- Effect of testosterone polydimethylsiloxane implants upon sperm production, libido and accessory sex organ function in rabbits. J Reprod Fertil. 1973; 35: 245–253. , , .
- The rabbit as a model for reproductive and developmental toxicity studies. Reprod Toxicol. 2000; 14: 477–493. , .
- Toxicity of methyl testosterone in the beagle dog. Toxicology. 1977; 7: 357–365. , , , .
- Effects of synthetic androgens on liver function using the rabbit as a model. J Androl. 2010; 31: 472–481. , , , , .
- The ability of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist, acyline, to prevent irreversible infertility induced by the indenopyridine, CDB-4022, in adult male rats: the role of testosterone. Biol Reprod. 2004; 71: 348–358. , , .
- Hepatotoxic effects of the anabolic androgenic steroids. Semin Liver Dis. 1987; 7: 230–236. , .
- Determinants of the rate and extent of spermatogenic suppression during hormonal male contraception: an integrated analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 1774–1783. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Loeb WF, Quimby FW, eds. The Clinical Chemistry of Laboratory Animals. 1st ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1989.
- Effects of testosterone and levonorgestrel combined with a 5α-reductase inhibitor or gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist on spermatogenesis and intratesticular steroid levels in normal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 5647–5655. , , , , , , , .
- Higher testosterone dose impairs sperm suppression induced by a combined androgen-progestin regimen. J Androl. 2002; 23: 684–690. , , , .
- Development of an inexpensive artificial vagina for semen collection from rabbits. J Androl. 2003; 24: 712–715. , , .
- Use of progestins in male contraception. Steroids. 2003; 68: 965–972. , , .
- Advances in male contraception. Endocr Rev. 2008; 29: 465–493. , , .
- Intratesticular androgens and spermatogenesis during severe gonadotropin suppression induced by male hormonal contraceptive treatment. J Androl. 2007; 28: 734–741. , , , , , .
- Serum biochemical changes in rabbits on a regular diet with and without flax lignan complex following a high cholesterol diet. Int J Angiol. 2008; 17: 27–32. .
- New progestagens for contraceptive use. Hum Reprod Update. 2006; 12: 169–178. .
- The effects of long-term administration of methyl testosterone on the development of liver lesions in BALB/c mice. J Pathol. 1984; 143: 211–218. , .
- Assessment of hepatic function in rabbits with steroid-induced cholestatic liver injury. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1981; 1: 329–333. , , , , , , .
- Biphasic effect of testosterone on spermatogenesis in the rat. Invest Urol. 1973; 11: 190–193. , .
- Semen analysis and fertility assessment in the rabbit. In: Chapin RE, Heindel JJ, eds. Male Reproductive Toxicology. San Diego, CA: Academic Press Inc; 1993; 344–361. Methods in Toxicology; Vol. 3, part A. .
- Molecular characterization of postnatal development of testicular steroidogenesis in luteinizing hormone receptor knockout mice. Endocrinology. 2004; 445: 1453–1463. , , , , .
- Maintenance of advanced spermatogenic cells in the adult rat testis: quantitative relationship to testosterone concentration within the testis. Endocrinology. 1989; 124: 3043–3049. , , , .