How fast is the carousel? Direct indices of species mobility with examples from an Oklahoma grassland
Article first published online: 24 FEB 2009
2001 IAVS - the International Association of Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 305–318, June 2001
How to Cite
Palmer, M.W. and Rusch, G.M. (2001), How fast is the carousel? Direct indices of species mobility with examples from an Oklahoma grassland. Journal of Vegetation Science, 12: 305–318. doi: 10.2307/3236844
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 24 FEB 2009
- Received 22 March 2000; Revision received 25 January 2001; Accepted 25 January 2001. Coordinating Editor: J. Lepš.
- 1991. Spatial heterogeneity during succession: a cyclic model of invasion and exclusion. In: Kolasa, J. & Pickett, S. T. A. (eds.) Ecological Studies 86: Ecological heterogeneity, pp. 256–269. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , &
- 1991. Communities in patchy environments: a model of disturbance, competition, and heterogeneity. In: Kolasa, J. & Pickett, S. T. A. (eds.) Ecological Studies, 86: Ecological heterogeneity, pp. 97–122. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. &
- 1987. Equilibrium and nonequilibrium concepts in ecological models. Ecol. Monogr. 57: 1–21. &
- 1998. The trade-off between dispersability and longevity—an important aspect of plant species diversity. Appl. Veg. Sci. 1: 29–36. &
- 1992. Evolution of seed dispersal and recruitment in clonal plants. Oikos 63: 439–448.
- 1946. The Pocket Oxford Dictionary, 4th ed. The Clarendon Press, Oxford. &
- 1997. Fine-scale spatial population patterns and mobility of winter-annual herbs in a dry grassland. J. Veg. Sci. 8: 209–216. , &
- 1992. Effects of scale and disturbance on rates of immigration and extinction of species in prairies. Oikos 63: 273–280. &
- 1987. The distribution and abundance of tallgrass prairie plants: a test of the core-satellite hypothesis. Am. Nat. 130: 18–35. &
- 1988. The uncoupling of disturbance and recruitment, two kinds of seed bank, and persistence of plant populations at the regional and local scales. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 25: 23–36.
- 1995. Metapopulation persistence of an endangered butterfly in a fragmented landscape. Oikos 72: 21–28. , , &
- 1977. Population biology of plants. Academic Press, London.
- 1995. Spatiotemporal dynamics in mountain grasslands–species autocorrelations in space and time. Folia Geobot. Phytotax. 30: 185–196. , &
- 1993a. Small-scale spatial dynamics of plant species in a grassland community over six years. J. Veg. Sci. 4: 171–178. , , &
- 1993b. Small-scale variability as a mechanism for large-scale stability in mountain grasslands. J. Veg. Sci. 4: 163–170. , , &
- 1995. Spatial and temporal variability in California annual grassland: results from a long-term study. J. Veg. Sci. 6: 43–56. &
- 1994. A synonymized checklist of the vascular flora of the United States, Canada, and Greenland. 2nd ed. Vols. 1 & 2. Timber Press, Portland, OR.
- 1999. Small-scale plant mobility in a species-rich grassland. J. Veg. Sci. 10: 209–218.
- 1988. Coexistence on divided habitats: mosses in the family Splachnaceae. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 25: 89–98.
- 1995. Dynamics of Vaccinium myrtillus patches in mountain spruce forest. J. Veg. Sci. 6: 343–348. , &
- 1994. Soil seed bank and species turnover in a limestone grassland. J. Veg. Sci. 5: 35–42. &
- 1979. Vegetation dynamics. Chapman and Hall, London.
- 1998. Composition and seasonal flux of the soil seed bank of species-rich Themeda triandra grasslands in relation to burning history. J. Veg. Sci. 9: 145–156.
- 1994. Scale dependence and the species-area relationship. Am. Nat. 144: 717–740. &
- 1995. Small-scale dynamics and species richness in successional alvar plant communities. Ecography 18: 83–90. &
- 1998. A flexible, multipurpose method for recording vegetation composition and structure. Castanea 63: 262–274. , &
- Pickett, S. T. A. & White, P. S., (eds.) 1985. The ecology of natural disturbance and patch dynamics. Academic Press, Inc., London.
- 1977. Mathematical ecology. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.
- 1992. Species turnover and seedling recruitment in limestone grasslands. Oikos 63: 139–146. &
- 1994. High species mobility in species-rich plant-communities—an intercontinental comparison. Folia Geobot. Phytotax. 29: 439–448. , , &
- 1998. CANOCO reference manual and user's guide to Canoco for Windows: Software for canonical community ordination (version 4). Microcomputer Power, Ithaca, NY. &
- 1993. Small-scale plant species turnover in a limestone grassland: the carousel model and some comments on the niche concept. J. Veg. Sci. 4: 179–188. &
- 1997. Rates of small-scale species mobility in alvar limestone grassland. J. Veg. Sci. 8: 199–208. &
- 1975. Communities and ecosystems. 2nd. ed. Macmillan, New York, NY.
- 1994. Bryophyte and lichen persistence patterns in a Norwegian boreal coniferous forest. Lindbergia 19: 50–62.
- 1995. Persistence of vascular plants in a Norwegian boreal coniferous forest. Ecography 18: 3–14.
- 1996. Are ordination and constrained ordination alternative or complementary strategies in general ecological studies J. Veg. Sci. 7: 289–292.
- 1995. Small-scale species dynamics in semi-arid steppe vegetation in Inner Mongolia. J. Veg. Sci. 6: 583–592. &