The use of calcium D-pantothenate in feed and of D-panthenol in water for drinking is safe for all animal species and categories. The use of calcium D-pantothenate and D-panthenol as nutritional additives does not give rise to concern for consumers. Since no data on acute inhalation toxicity has been provided, inhalation of dust is considered as potentially hazardous. D-panthenol being currently only available in liquid preparations, the FEEDAP Panel does not anticipate any inhalation hazard. Because of the lack of data, calcium D-pantothenate is considered as a skin and eye irritant and a skin sensitiser. D-Panthenol is regarded as a skin and eye irritant in rabbits, and allergic rashes in humans have been reported following its topical use. A risk for the environment resulting from the use of pantothenic acid in animal nutrition is not foreseen. Due to its established nutritional role in domestic animals, calcium D-pantothenate is regarded as an effective source of pantothenic acid. D-Panthenol is considered a pro-vitamin essentially bioequivalent to pantothenic acid.