Urinary retention in the post-partum period: The relationship between obstetric factors and the post-partum post-void residual bladder volume
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2010
1997 Informa UK Ltd All rights reserved: reproduction in whole or part not permitted
Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica
Volume 76, Issue 7, pages 667–672, August 1997
How to Cite
Yip, S.-K., Brieger, G., Hin, L.-Y. and Chung, T. (1997), Urinary retention in the post-partum period: The relationship between obstetric factors and the post-partum post-void residual bladder volume. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 76: 667–672. doi: 10.3109/00016349709024608
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2010
- Submitted 23 August, 1996; Accepted 28 December, 1996
- urinary retention
Objective. The three objectives of this study are: to investigate the incidence of post-partum urinary retention after vaginal delivery, to investigate the relationship between various obstetric parameters and the post-partum post-void residual bladder volume and to study the natural progression of the post-void residual bladder volume in patients with covert post-partum urinary retention.
Methods. Women who had a vaginal delivery (n = 691) in a teaching hospital during a 2-month period were studied. They were classified into three groups: normal patients, those with overt urinary retention, and covert urinary retention. Their day 1 post-partum post-void residual bladder volume were recorded and analyzed with respect to the obstetric parameters. Patients with covert retention were followed up daily with ultrasound to monitor their post-void residual volume.
Results. The incidences of overt and covert retention in our unit were 4.9% and 9.7%, respectively. The overall incidence of post-partum urinary retention after vaginal delivery was 14.6%. The duration of the first and second stages of labor were significantly associated with the post-partum post-void residual bladder volume. In all patients with covert retention, their post-void residual volume returned to normal within 4 days.
Conclusion. Post-partum urinary retention is a common phenomenon that may be related to the process of parturition. Covert retention is a self-limiting phenomenon and specific treatment is unnecessary.