Nomenclature: Harden (1996); Linder (1997).
Are traits measured on pot grown plants representative of those in natural communities?
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2009
2008 IAVS - the International Association of Vegetation Science
Journal of Vegetation Science
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 119–126, February 2008
How to Cite
Mokany, K. and Ash, J. (2008), Are traits measured on pot grown plants representative of those in natural communities?. Journal of Vegetation Science, 19: 119–126. doi: 10.3170/2007-8-18340
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2009
- Received 18 October 2006; Accepted 31 May 2007
- 1994. Relating wet and dry year ecophysiology to leaf structure in contrasting temperate tree species. Ecology 75: 123–133. , &
- 2005. Variation in leaf traits through seasons and N-avail-ability levels and its consequences for ranking grassland species. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 391–398. , , , &
- 1990. Size and morphology of root systems of perennial grasses from contrasting habitats as affected by nitrogen supply. Plant and Soil 129: 291–299. &
- 2003a. Functional traits of woody plants: correspondence of species rankings between field adults and laboratory-grown seedlings? Journal of Vegetation Science 14: 311–322. , , , , , , , &
- 2003b. A handbook of protocols for standardised and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Covariation in leaf and root traits for native and non-native grasses along an altitudinal gradient in New Zealand. Oecologia 124: 471–478. &
- 2002. Functional traits, productivity and effects on nitrogen cycling of 33 grassland species. Functional Ecology 16: 563–574. , , , , &
- 2003. The dependence of root system properties on root system biomass of 10 North American grassland species. Plant and Soil 250: 39–47. , , &
- 1987. Vertical root distributions of northern tree species in relation to successional status. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17: 829–834. &
- 1994. On ecological inference from laboratory experiments conducted under optimum conditions. In: Roy, J. & Gamier, E. (eds.) A whole plant perspective on carbon-nitrogen interactions, pp. 267–292. SPB Academic, The Hague . &
- 1997. Specific leaf area and leaf nitrogen concentration in annual and perennial grass species growing in Mediterranean old-fields. Oecologia 111: 490–498. , , &
- 2001. Consistency of species ranking based on functional leaf traits. New Phytologist 152: 69–83. , , , , , , &
- 2004. Plant functional markers capture ecosystem properties during secondary succession. Ecology 85: 2630–2637. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Competition between Australian native and introduced grasses along a nutrient gradient. Austral Ecology 28: 491–498. , &
- 1996. Flora of New South Wales. NSW University Press, Kensington, NSW , AU .
- 1997. Nomenclatural corrections in the Rytidosper-ma complex (Danthonieae, Poaceae). Telopea 7: 271.
- 1999. A comparison of specific leaf area, chemical composition and leaf construction costs of field plants from 15 habitats differing in productivity. New Phytologist 143: 163–176. &
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: Global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94: 13730–13734. , &
- 2003. The evolution of plant functional variation: traits, spectra, and strategies. International Journal of Plant Science 164: S143–S164. , , , , , &
- 2004. Congruency analysis of species ranking based on leaf traits: which traits are the more reliable? Plant Ecology 174: 37–48. , &
- 2006. Suites of root traits differ between annual and perennial species growing in the field. New Phytologist 170: 357–368. , &
- 2006. The mysterious root length. Plant and Soil 286: 1–6.
- 1995. Root and leaf attributes accounting for the performance of fast- and slow-growing grasses at different nutrient supply. Plant and Soil 170: 251–265. &
- 2002. Rooting depths, lateral root spreads and below-ground/above-ground allometries of plants in water-limited ecosystems. Journal of Ecology 90: 480–494. &
- 2003. Interspecific consistency and intraspecific variability of specific leaf area with respect to irradiance and nutrient availability. Ecoscience 10: 74–79. &
- 1981. Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York , NY, US . &
- 2002. A direct approach to false discovery rates. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B Met. 64: 479–498.
- 2004. Evidence for limiting similarity in a sand dune community. Journal of Ecology 92: 557–567. &
- 2006. Quantitative estimation of phenotypic plasticity: bridging the gap between the evolutionary concept and its ecological applications. Journal of Ecology 94: 1103–1116. &
- 2000. Root tissue structure is linked to ecological strategies of grasses. New Phytologist 148: 459–471. &
- 1998. A leaf-height-seed (LHS) plant ecology strategy scheme. Plant and Soil 199: 213–227.
- 2006. Land-plant ecology on the basis of functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 261–268. &
- 2000. Cross-species relationships between seedling relative growth rate, nitrogen productivity and root vs leaf function in 28 Australian woody species. Functional Ecology 14: 97–107. &
- 2005. Assessing the generality of global leaf trait relationships. New Phytologist 166: 485–496. , , , , , , , , , , , , &