Published online through CA First Look at http://CAonline.AmCancerSoc.org.
Association of Insurance with Cancer Care Utilization and Outcomes†
Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2008 American Cancer Society
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 58, Issue 1, pages 9–31, January/February 2008
How to Cite
Ward, E., Halpern, M., Schrag, N., Cokkinides, V., DeSantis, C., Bandi, P., Siegel, R., Stewart, A. and Jemal, A. (2008), Association of Insurance with Cancer Care Utilization and Outcomes. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 58: 9–31. doi: 10.3322/CA.2007.0011
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2009
- 1American Cancer Society. Cancer Prevention & Early Detection Facts & Figures. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2007.
- 7National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health Interview Survey. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm. Accessed November 6, 2007.
- 9Whither employer-based health insurance? The current and future role of U.S. companies in the provision and financing of health insurance. New York, NY: The Commonwealth Fund; 2007., , .
- 10Employer Health Benefits 2007 Annual Survey. Menlo Park, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation and Health Research and Educational Trust; 2007., , , et al.
- 12Committee on the Consequences of Uninsurance, Institute of Medicine. Insuring America's Health: Principles and Recommendations. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2004.
- 13U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration. FAQs About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage. Available at: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html. Accessed November 6, 2007.
- 142007 CCH Medicare and Medicaid Benefits. Chicago, IL: Wolters Kluwer; 2007., , , et al.
- 15Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Medicare FAQs. Available at: http://questions.medicare.gov. Accessed November 6, 2007.
- 16AcademyHealth. Glossary of terms commonly used in health care. Washington, DC: Academy Health; 2004.
- 18Kaiser Family Foundation. Key Facts: Race, Ethnicity and Medical Care. Menlo Park, CA: Kaiser Family Foundation; 2007. Available at http://www.kff.org/minorityhealth/6069.cfm.
- 19Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act of 2000, Pub L No. 106-354 (2000).
- 22Paying more for less: older adults in the private insurance market. Findings from the Commonwealth Survey of Older Adults. New York, NY: The Commonwealth Fund; 2005. Available at: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications_show.htm?doc_id=282104., , , et al.
- 23Health Insurance Coverage: Early Release of Estimates From the National Health Interview Survey, 2006. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2007. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/insur200612.pdf., .
- 24Gaps in health insurance: an all-American problem. Findings from the Commonwealth Fund Biennial Health Insurance Survey. New York, NY: The Commonwealth Fund; 2006., , , et al.
- 25Changes in Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance Sponsorship, Eligibility, and Participation: 2001–2005. Washington, DC: Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured; 2006., .
- 26Illness and injury as contributors to bankruptcy. Health Aff (Millwood) 2005; (suppl): W5-63–W65-73., , , .
- 29Medical Expenditures Panel Survey Statistical Brief #122. Out-of-Pocket Expenditures on Health Care and Insurance Premiums among the Elderly Population, 2003. Washington, DC: Agency for Health Care Research and Quality; 2006., .
- 32Characteristics of office-based physicians and their practices: United States, 2003–04. Series 12, No. 164. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2007., .
- 33Threadbare: Holes in America's Health Care Safety Net. Washington, DC: Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured; 2005., .
- 40Predictors of colorectal cancer screening participation in the United States. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 2082–2091., , .Direct Link:
- 50Committee on the Consequences of Uninsurance, Board on Health Care Services, Institute of Medicine. Care Without Coverage: Too Little, Too Late. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2002.
- 56Treatment patterns for stage III colon cancer and factors related to receipt of postoperative chemotherapy in Louisiana. J La State Med Soc 2004; 156: 255–261., , , et al.
- 59Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2003., , .