DISCLOSURES: Dr. Giovannucci and Dr. Harlan are Writing Group co-chairs. Dr. Bergenstal has served on scientific advisory boards or as a consultant to Medtronic, Abbott, Bayer Diabetes Care, Eli Lilly, Intuity Medical, MannKind, Novo Nordisk, Roche, Sanofi-Aventis, and Valeritas; has received research support from Amylin, Bayer Diabetes Care, Eli Lilly, MannKind, Medtronic, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Novo Nordisk, ResMed, and LifeScan; and is a joint stockholder in Merck. Dr. Habel has received research support from Takeda, Merck, Genetech (Roche), and Sanofi-Aventis. Dr. Pollak has received research support from Pfizer and serves as a consultant to Sanofi-Aventis and Novo Nordisk. Dr. Regensteiner has received research support from the NIH and the American Diabetes Association and has received honoraria from the University of Colorado at Denver. Dr.Yee has served on the advisory board of Novo Nordisk. No other potential conflict of interest relevant to this article was reported.
Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 American Cancer Society, Inc.
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 60, Issue 4, pages 207–221, July/August 2010
How to Cite
Giovannucci, E., Harlan, D. M., Archer, M. C., Bergenstal, R. M., Gapstur, S. M., Habel, L. A., Pollak, M., Regensteiner, J. G. and Yee, D. (2010), Diabetes and Cancer: A Consensus Report. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 60: 207–221. doi: 10.3322/caac.20078
The American Cancer Society and the American Diabetes Association thank the following companies for their unrestricted support of the consensus development conference: Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc; Lilly USA; Merck & Company, Inc; Novo Nordisk A/S; and the Sanofi-Aventis Groupe.
The authors thank the researchers who presented their work at the conference: Rachel Ballard-Barbash, MD, MPH; Frederick Brancati, MD, MHS; Peter T. Campbell, PhD; Edwin Gale, MD; Hertzel C. Gerstein, MD, MSc; Edward L. Giovannucci, MD, ScD; Pamela Goodwin, MD, MSc; Michael Goran, PhD; Jeffrey A. Johnson, PhD; Carol Koro, PhD; Larry Kushi, ScD; Derek Leroith, MD, PhD; Karin B. Michels, MPH, MS, MSc, PhD, ScD; Alpa V. Patel, PhD; Andrew Renehan, PhD; Ulf Smith, MD, PhD; Kevin Struhl, PhD; and Henry Thompson, PhD.
This article is jointly published by the American Diabetes Association and the American Cancer Society.
- Issue online: 7 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2010
- 1BoyleP, BernardL, eds. World Cancer Report 2008 [article online]. Cedex, France: World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2008. Available at: http://www.iarc.fr/en/publications/pdfs-online/wcr/index.php. Accessed April 1, 2010.
- 2International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas [article online]. 4th ed. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2009. Available at: www.diabetesatlas.org. Accessed April 1, 2010.
- 3Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Fact Sheet: General Information and National Estimates on Diabetes in the United States, 2007 [article online]. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2008. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2007.pdf. Accessed April 1, 2010.
- 11Global Cancer Facts & Figures 2007. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2007., , , et al.
- 17World Cancer Research Fund. Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective [article online]. London: World Cancer Research Fund, American Institute for Cancer Research; 2007. Available at: http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/. Accessed April 1, 2010.
- 20Waist circumference as the best predictor of noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) compared to body mass index, waist/hip ratio and other anthropometric measurements in Mexican Americans–a 7-year prospective study. Obes Res. 1997; 5: 16–23., , , .
- 29American Cancer Society 2006 Nutrition and Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. American Cancer Society Guidelines on Nutrition and Physical Activity for cancer prevention: reducing the risk of cancer with healthy food choices and physical activity. CA Cancer J Clin. 2006; 56: 254–281., , , et al.
- 40US Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report [article online]. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2008: G3-1–G3-49. Available at: http://www.health.gov/PAGuidelines/committeereport.aspx. Accessed April 1, 2010.
- 41The Cancer Atlas. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2006., , , .
- 79American Diabetes Association; European Association for Study of Diabetes. Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 193–203., , , et al.
- 109A Phase 1/2 Dose Finding Study of an Experimental New Drug CS7017, an Oral PPARy Agonist Taken by Mouth Twice Daily in Combination With Paclitaxel Chemotherapy [registered clinical trial], 2008. Clinical trial reg. no. NCT00603941. Available at: clinicaltrials.gov. Accessed April 1, 2010.
- 119The ORIGIN Trial (Outcome Reduction With Initial Glargine Intervention) [registered clinical trial], 2009. Clinical trial reg. no. NCT00069784. Available at: clinicaltrials.gov. Accessed April 5, 2010.