DISCLOSURES: The authors report no conflicts of interest.
Cancer screening in the United States, 2012†
A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Cancer Society, Inc.
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 62, Issue 2, pages 129–142, March/April 2012
How to Cite
Smith, R. A., Cokkinides, V. and Brawley, O. W. (2012), Cancer screening in the United States, 2012. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 62: 129–142. doi: 10.3322/caac.20143
- Issue published online: 8 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
- 1National Cancer Institute. Lung Cancer Trial Results Show Mortality Benefit With Low-Dose CT. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2010. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pressreleases/NLSTresultsRelease. Accessed 2010.
- 4ACS Prostate Cancer Advisory Committee, ACS Colorectal Cancer Advisory Committee, ACS Endometrial Cancer Advisory Committee. American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of cancer: update of early detection guidelines for prostate, colorectal, and endometrial cancers. Also: update 2001–testing for early lung cancer detection. CA Cancer J Clin. 2001; 51: 38- 75; quiz 77-80., , , et al;
- 5Howlander N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2008. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2011.
- 7Principles and Practice of Screening for Disease. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1968., .
- 8Committee on Standards for Systematic Reviews of Comparative Effectiveness Research. Finding What Works in Health Care: Standards for Systematic Reviews. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011.
- 9Graham R, Mancher M, Wolman DM, Greenfield S, Steinberg E, eds; Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011.
- 11American Cancer Society High-Risk Work Group; American Cancer Society Screening Older Women Work Group; American Cancer Society Mammography Work Group; American Cancer Society Physical Examination Work Group; American Cancer Society New Technologies Work Group; American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Advisory Group. American Cancer Society guidelines for breast cancer screening: update 2003. CA Cancer J Clin. 2003; 53: 141-169., , , et al;
- 16Guidelines for colonoscopy surveillance after cancer resection: a consensus update by the American Cancer Society and US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. CA Cancer J Clin. 2006; 56: 160-167; quiz 185-186., , , et al.
- 17Guidelines for colonoscopy surveillance after polypectomy: a consensus update by the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer and the American Cancer Society. CA Cancer J Clin. 2006; 56: 143-159; quiz 184-185., , , et al.
- 18Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008; 58: 130-160., , , et al.
- 19American Cancer Society. Interim Guidance on Lung Cancer Screening. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; Year. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/FindCancerEarly/index. Accessed 2011.
- 34Vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13-17 years—United States, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1100-1103., , .
- 35USPHS/IDSA Prevention of Opportunistic Infections Working Group. USPHS/IDSA guidelines for the prevention of opportunistic infections in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: a summary. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1995; 44: 1-34.
- 36Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National, state, and local area vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13-17 years—United States, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010; 59: 1018-1023.
- 41American Urological Association. Prostate-Specific Antigen Best Practice Statement: 2009 Update. Available at: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines/main-reports/psa09.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2010.
- 44Endometrial cancer. In: Kramer BS, Gohagan JK, Prorok PC, eds. Cancer Screening: Theory and Practice. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc; 1999: 531-566., .
- 52Sensitivity and specificity of multimodal and ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer, and stage distribution of detected cancers: results of the prevalence screen of the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS). Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 327-340., , , et al.
- 53National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement. Ovarian Cancer: Screening, Treatment, and Followup. NIH Consensus Statement 1994. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 1994: 1-30.