We thank Timothy Byers, MD, MPH, for his contributions as an American Cancer Society Cancer Screening Guidelines Development Member. DISCLOSURES: Dr. Flowers has received consulting fees from Celgene Corporation; Spectrum; Seattle Genetics, Inc; OptumRx; Clinical Care Options; and Education Concepts Group. He has performed contracted research for Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Celgene Corporation, Spectrum, Gilead Pharmaceuticals, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Dr. Gazelle is a consultant to GE Healthcare. His work for GE Healthcare is not directly related to this article. Dr. Kelsey is employed by Eli Lilly and Company.
American Cancer Society lung cancer screening guidelines†
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 American Cancer Society, Inc.
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 63, Issue 2, pages 106–117, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Wender, R., Fontham, E. T. H., Barrera, E., Colditz, G. A., Church, T. R., Ettinger, D. S., Etzioni, R., Flowers, C. R., Scott Gazelle, G., Kelsey, D. K., LaMonte, S. J., Michaelson, J. S., Oeffinger, K. C., Shih, Y.-C. T., Sullivan, D. C., Travis, W., Walter, L., Wolf, A. M. D., Brawley, O. W. and Smith, R. A. (2013), American Cancer Society lung cancer screening guidelines. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 63: 106–117. doi: 10.3322/caac.21172
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2013
- 1World Health Organization. WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2011: Warning About the Dangers of Tobacco. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2011.
- 2US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Public Health Service. Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service. Washington, DC: US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare; 1964.
- 3Data and Safety Monitoring Board. Statement Concerning the National Lung Screening Trial. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2010. cancer.gov/images/DSMB-NLST.pdf. Accessed October, 28, 2010.
- 5Howlander N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2008. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2011.
- 7Howlander N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2012.
- 8National Cancer Institute. Cancer Trends Progress Report-2011/2012 Update. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2012. progressreport.cancer.gov/doc_detail.asp?pid=1&did=2011&chid=105&coid=1026&mid=%20%29. Accessed October 17, 2012.
- 19ACS report on the cancer-related health checkup. CA Cancer J Clin. 1980; 30: 193-240..
- 21Lung cancer. In: Kramer BS, Gohagan JK, Prorok PC, eds. Cancer Screening: Theory and Practice. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc; 1999: 327-377..
- 28Risk-based selection from the general population in a screening trial: selection criteria, recruitment and power for the Dutch-Belgian randomised lung cancer multi-slice CT screening trial (NELSON). Int J Cancer. 2007; 120: 868-874., , , et al.
- 43American College of Radiology Imaging Network. ACRIN #6654: Contemporary Screening for the Detection of Lung Cancer. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Radiology Imaging Network; 2004: 1-97.
- 53American Lung Association. Guidance on Lung Cancer Screening. Washington, DC: American Lung Association; 2012. lung.org/about-us/our-impact/top-stories/guidance-on-ct-lung-cancer.html. Accessed September 14, 2012.