DISCLOSURES: The authors report no conflicts of interest.
Cancer screening in the United States, 2014: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening
Article first published online: 9 JAN 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society, Inc.
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 64, Issue 1, pages 30–51, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Smith, R. A., Manassaram-Baptiste, D., Brooks, D., Cokkinides, V., Doroshenk, M., Saslow, D., Wender, R. C. and Brawley, O. W. (2014), Cancer screening in the United States, 2014: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 64: 30–51. doi: 10.3322/caac.21212
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 9 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2013
- 3American Cancer Society High-Risk Work Group; American Cancer Society Screening Older Women Work Group; American Cancer Society Mammography Work Group; American Cancer Society Physical Examination Work Group; American Cancer Society New Technologies Work Group; American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Advisory Group. American Cancer Society guidelines for breast cancer screening: update 2003. CA Cancer J Clin. 2003;53:141-169., , , et al;
- 7ACS-ASCCP-ASCP Cervical Cancer Guideline Committee. American Cancer Society, American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and American Society for Clinical Pathology screening guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012;62:147-172., , , et al;
- 8ACS Prostate Cancer Advisory Committee, ACS Colorectal Cancer Advisory Committee, ACS Endometrial Cancer Advisory Committee. American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of cancer: update of early detection guidelines for prostate, colorectal, and endometrial cancers. Also: update 2001–testing for early lung cancer detection. CA Cancer J Clin. 2001;51:38-75; quiz 77-80., , , et al;
- 12American Cancer Society Colorectal Cancer Advisory Group; US Multi-Society Task Force; American College of Radiology Colon Cancer Committee. Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin. 2008;58:130-160., , , et al;
- 16Howlander N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2010. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2013.
- 17Cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin. In press., , , .
- 31Are You Dense Inc. areyoudense.org/. Accessed October 19, 2013.
- 32California Breast Density Information Group. breastdensity.info/. Accessed October 8, 2013.
- 33Are You Dense Inc. State Mandatory Breast Density Notification. areyoudenseadvocacy.org/. Accessed October 8, 2013.
- 34Breast Density and Mammography Reporting Act of 2011. HR 3102, 112th Cong, 1st Sess (2011). thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3102.IH:/. Accessed October 5, 2013.
- 38The Comparative Clinical Effectiveness and Value of Supplemental Screening Tests Following Negative Mammography in Women with Dense Breast Tissue. San Francisco: California Technology Assessment Forum; 2013., , , .
- 39Mammography in combination with breast ultrasonography versus mammography for breast cancer screening in women at average risk. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;4:CD009632., , , et al.
- 41Comparative effectiveness of digital versus film-screen mammography in community practice in the United States: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2011;155:493-502., , , et al.
- 42FDA Approves First 3-D Mammography Imaging System. diagnosticimaging.com/tomosynthesis/fda-approves-first-3-d-mammography-imaging-system. Accessed October 5, 2013..
- 45First evaluation of the diagnostic accuracy of an automated 3D ultrasound system in a breast screening setting. Anticancer Res. 2011;31:2569-2574., , , , , .
- 47US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for cervical cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156:880-891, W312.;
- 48Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). USPHS/IDSA guidelines for the prevention of opportunistic infections in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: a summary. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1995;44:1-34.
- 49Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); National Institutes of Health; HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents: recommendations from CDC, the National Institutes of Health, and the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2009;58:1-207; quiz CE1-4., , , , , ;
- 50Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). National and state vaccination coverage among adolescents aged 13-17 years–United States, 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:671-677.
- 51Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Human papillomavirus vaccination coverage among adolescent girls, 2007-2012, and postlicensure vaccine safety monitoring, 2006-2013–United States. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:591-595.
- 55American Cancer Society; US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Guidelines for colonoscopy surveillance after cancer resection: a consensus update by the American Cancer Society and the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:1865-1871., , , et al;
- 67Adherence to colorectal cancer screening: a randomized clinical trial of competing strategies. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172:575-582., , , et al.
- 68Comparative effectiveness of fecal immunochemical test outreach, colonoscopy outreach, and usual care for boosting colorectal cancer screening among the underserved: a randomized clinical trial [published online ahead of print August 5, 2013]. JAMA Intern Med., , , et al.
- 77Prostate cancer screening decisions: results from the National Survey of Medical Decisions (DECISIONS study). Arch Intern Med. 2009;169:1611-1618., , , et al.
- 78National evidence on the use of shared decision making in prostate-specific antigen screening. Ann Fam Med. 2013;11:306-314., , , et al.
- 79Physicians' attitudes about shared decision making for prostate cancer screening. Fam Med. 2011;43:260-266., , , , .
- 80Pairing physician education with patient activation to improve shared decisions in prostate cancer screening: a cluster randomized controlled trial. Ann Fam Med. 2013;11:324-334., , , et al.
- 81Discussing uncertainty and risk in primary care: recommendations of a multi-disciplinary panel regarding communication around prostate cancer screening [published online ahead of print May 7, 2013]. J Gen Intern Med., , , , , .
- 85US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for prostate cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157:120-134.;
- 88Endometrial cancer. In: Kramer BS, Gohagan JK, Prorok PC, eds. Cancer Screening: Theory and Practice. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc; 1999:531-566., .
- 90National Cancer Institute. Statement Concerning the Lung Cancer Screening Trial. cancer.gov/images/DSMB-NLST.pdf. Accessed October 28, 2010.
- 94US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for Lung Cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. Ann Intern Med. 2013. In press., on behalf of the
- 104Sensitivity and specificity of multimodal and ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer, and stage distribution of detected cancers: results of the prevalence screen of the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS). Lancet Oncol. 2009;10:327-340., , , et al.
- 106US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for ovarian cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force reaffirmation recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157:900-904.;
- 107National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement. Ovarian Cancer: Screening, Treatment, and Followup. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 1994:1-30.
- 108ACS report on the cancer-related health checkup. CA Cancer J Clin. 1980;30:193-240..
- 114United States Department of Labor. FAQs About Affordable Care Act Implementation Part XII. dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-aca12.html. Accessed October 10, 2013.