Dr. Cullen would like to acknowledge the contributions and encouragement in helping prepare this article from Rebecca Kirch (American Cancer Society [cancer.org]), Blyth Lord (Courageous Parents Network [courageousparentsnetwork.org]), and Joanne Wolfe, MD, MPH (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Boston Children's Hospital).
Because statistics don't tell the whole story: A call for comprehensive care for children with cancer
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society, Inc.
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 64, Issue 2, pages 79–82, March/April 2014
How to Cite
Cullen, J. (2014), Because statistics don't tell the whole story: A call for comprehensive care for children with cancer. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 64: 79–82. doi: 10.3322/caac.21215
DISCLOSURES: Dr. Cullen is a cancer epidemiologist, mother, and American Childhood Cancer Organization (acco.org) board member.
See referenced article on pages 83–103, this issue.
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2013
- 4Childhood and adolescent cancer statistics, 2014 [published online ahead of print January 31, 2014]. CA Cancer J Clin. doi: 10.3322/caac.21219., , , , .
- 5Ries LAG, Smith MA, Gurney JG, eds. Cancer Incidence and Survival Among Children and Adolescents: United States SEER Program 1975-1995. NIH Pub. No. 99-4649. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, SEER Program; 1999.
- 6Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2011. National Vital Statistics Reports. Vol 6. No. 6. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2012. cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf. Accessed September 24, 2013., .
- 9American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. Patient Quality of Life Through Palliative Care. acscan.org/qualityoflife. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- 10Patient-Centered Communication in Cancer Care: Promoting Healing and Reducing Suffering. Issue 7, Part 6225. Bethesda, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute; 2007., .
- 11Mastering Communication With Seriously Ill Patients: Balancing Honesty with Empathy and Hope. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2009., , .
- 12Levit L, Balogh E, Nass S, Ganz PA, eds; Committee on Improving the Quality of Cancer Care: Addressing the Challenges of an Aging Population; Board on Health Care Services; Institute of Medicine. Delivering High-Quality Cancer Care: Charting a New Course for a System in Crisis. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2013.
- 13Wolfe J, Hinds P, Sourkes B, eds. Textbook of Interdisciplinary Pediatric Palliative Care. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2011.
- 15Get Palliative Care. What Is Pediatric Palliative Care? getpalliativecare.org/whatis/pediatric/. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- 16Pediatric palliative care programs in children's hospitals: a cross-sectional national survey [published online ahead of print November 4, 2013]. Pediatrics., , , et al.
- 17National Tay-Sachs & Allied Diseases Association. Parenting a Child with Life-Limiting Illness: Caring, Coping, Surviving. A Resource Guide for Parents and Professionals. ntsad-ny.org/film.html. Accessed September 24, 2013.