We greatly appreciate the careful editorial assistance of Ms. Kathleen Wildasin and Ms. Norma Sandoval in the preparation of this article.
Issues with implementing a high-quality lung cancer screening program
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2014
© 2014 American Cancer Society.
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 64, Issue 5, pages 351–363, September/October 2014
How to Cite
Mulshine, J. L. and D'Amico, T. A. (2014), Issues with implementing a high-quality lung cancer screening program. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 64: 351–363. doi: 10.3322/caac.21239
DISCLOSURES: This article discusses unlabeled use of spiral CT for early lung cancer detection, which is recommended by USPSTF but is not a formally approved use of CT scanning. Dr. Mulshine is the inventor on and has had patents issued for and received patent payments for the following 12 patents held by the National Institutes of Health that are unrelated to the current study: 1) monoclonal antibody against non-small cell lung cancer (US Patent No. 4,569,788); 2) intrabronchial injection of monoclonal antibody conjugates for the detection of lung cancer (US Patent No. 4,911,690); 3) technique for early detection of lung cancer (US Patent No. 5,455,159); 4) lipoxygenase as a target for treatment and prevention of epithelial cancer (US Patent No. 6,071,949); 5) an epithelial protein and DNA thereof for use in early cancer detection (US Patent No. 5,994,062); 6) divisional filing for an epithelial protein and DNA thereof for use in early cancer detection (US Patent No. 6251,586 [March 1999]); 7) use of lipoxygenase inhibitors as anticancer therapeutics and intervention inhibitors (Australian Patent 22722/95 PCT WO95/24894); 8) retinoid formulation for aerosolization (patent submitted CIP: application no. 60/187,539); 9) retinoid formulation for aerosolization and inhalation (WO/2001066104); 10) method for diagnosing cancer or precancer based on hnRNP protein expression (US patent 6,500,625 [issued December 31, 2002]); 11) use of lipoxygenase inhibitors and PPAR ligands an anticancer therapeutics and intervention agents (US Patent No. 6,756,399); and 12) use of differential oblique angle spectroscopy of oral epithelium (US Patent No. 6,990,369). Dr. A'Amico has acted as a paid consultant for Scanlan Instruments, for work outside of the current study.
- Issue online: 7 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 13 NOV 2013
- 4Screening for lung cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:330-338..
- 10Development of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery guidelines for low-dose computed tomography scans to screen for lung cancer in North America: recommendations of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery Task Force for Lung Cancer Screening and Surveillance. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;144:25-32., , , et al.
- 12American Lung Association. Providing Guidance for Lung Cancer Screening: The American Lung Association Interim Report on Lung Cancer Screening. lung.org/lung-disease/lung-cancer/lung-cancer-screening-guidelines/. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 21Lung Cancer Alliance. Rights and Expectations for Excellence in Lung Cancer Screening and Continuum of Care. lungcanceralliance.org/get-information/am-i-at-risk/national-framework-for-lung-screening-excellence.html. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 22Definition of a positive test result in computed tomography screening for lung cancer: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2013;158:246-252..
- 23International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer International Staging Committee and Participating Institutions. The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: proposals for the revision of the TNM stage groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM classification of malignant tumours. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2:706-714., , , et al;
- 26Screening for Lung Cancer: Systematic Review to Update the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. Report No. 13-05188-EF-1. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2013., , , et al.
- 30US Preventive Services Task Force. Grade Definitions. uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/grades.htm. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 37American Association of Physicists in Medicine. AAPM Position Statement on Radiation Risks from Medical Imaging Procedures. aapm.org/org/policies/details.asp?id=318&type=PP¤t=true. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 38American College of Radiology. ACR Lung Cancer Screening Center. acr.org/Quality-Safety/Lung-Cancer-Screening-Center. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 39National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Guidelines for Patients. Lung Cancer Screening. nccn.org/patients/guidelines/lung_screening/index.html. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 41Evidence Lacking to Support or Oppose Low-Dose CT Screening for Lung Cancer, says AAFP. Inability to Make Harms/Benefits Comparison Precludes Definitive Recommendation. aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20140113aafplungcarec.html. Accessed June 5, 2014..
- 46Raising the bar for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:365-366..
- 49Predictive accuracy of the Liverpool Lung Project risk model for stratifying patients for computed tomography screening for lung cancer: a case-control and cohort validation study. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157:242-250., , , et al.
- 56Smoking behaviors among patients receiving computed tomography for lung cancer screening: systematic review in support of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force [published online ahead of print April 4, 2014]. Ann Am Thorac Soc., , , .
- 57Tobacco control since the 1964 Surgeon General's Report: reflecting back and looking forward. Oncology. 2014;28:180-183., .
- 59Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicare Demonstration Projects and Evaluation Reports. cms.gov/Medicare/Demonstration-Projects/DemoProjectsEvalRpts/index.html. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 60Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Current cigarette smoking among adults-United States, 2005-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:29-34., , ,
- 69US Preventive Services Task Force. A and B Recommendations by Date. uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsabrecs.htm. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 70Lung Cancer Alliance. Letter: National Coverage Analysis for Lung Cancer Screening With Low Dose Computed Tomography. lungcanceralliance.org/assets/docs/Leg%20Act/LCA%20ACR%20STS%20Consensus%20Letter%203_12_14.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- 71Institute of Medicine (US) Roundtable on Value and Science-Driven Health Care. Clinical Data as the Basic Staple of Health Learning: Creating and Protecting a Public Good: Workshop Summary. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2010.