The role of the primary care physician in tobacco use prevention andcessation
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 1995 American Cancer Society
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 45, Issue 6, pages 369–374, November/December 1995
How to Cite
Bal, D. G., Lloyd, J. C. and Manley, M. W. (1995), The role of the primary care physician in tobacco use prevention andcessation. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 45: 369–374. doi: 10.3322/canjclin.45.6.369
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
- 2Establishing smoking cessation programs in dental offices. J Am Dent Assoc 1990; 20 (Suppl): 28S–31S., , :
- 4National Cancer Institute: Doctors helping smokers: Development of a clinic-based smoking intervention system by Kottke TE, Solberg LI, Brekke ML, et al, in: Smoking and Tobacco Control: Tobacco and the Clinician: Interventions for Medical and Dental Practice 5 (NIH Publication No. 94–3693). Bethesda, MD, NCI, 1994, pp 69–91.
- 7National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control: Review and Evaluation of Smoking Cessation Methods: The United States and Canada, 1978–1985 by Schwartz JL (NIH Publication No. 87–2940). Bethesda, Md, NCI, 1987.
- 8Centers for Disease Control, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health: The Health Benefits of Smoking Cessation: A Report of the Surgeon General [DHHS Publication No. (CDC) 90–8416]. Atlanta, Ga, CDC, 1990.
- 9Centers for Disease Control, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health: Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General [DHHS Publication No. (CDC) 89–8411]. Atlanta, Ga, CDC, 1989.
- 10National Cancer Institute: Strategies to Control Tobacco Use in the United States: A Blueprint for Public Health Action in the 1990s (NIH Publication No. 92–3316). Bethesda, Md, NCI, 1991.
- 12National Cancer Institute: How to Help Your Patients Stop Smoking: A National Cancer Institute Manual for Physicians by Glynn TJ, Manley MW (NIH Publication No. 90–3064). Bethesda, Md, CDC, 1990.
- 14California Department of Health Services and California Department of Education: Toward a Tobacco-Free California: A Report on the Activities and Evaluation of California's Tobacco Control Program, 1991 by Coye MJ, Honig B, Wilson P, Gould RS. Sacramento, 1992.
- 15U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Standards for comprehensive smoking prevention and control, in: Request for Proposals for the American Stop Smoking Intervention Study for Cancer Prevention (ASSIST) (RFP No. NCI-CN-95165–38). Rockville, MD, DHHS, 1989, pp 56–137.
- 16California Department of Health Services: Tobacco Use in California, 1990–1991 by Burns D, Pierce JP. Sacramento, 1992.
- 17Evaluating the California 1990–91 Tobacco Education Media Campaign. IOX Assessment Associates report to the California Department of Health Services, 1991., , , :
- 18Americans for Nonsmokers Rights: Ordinances eliminating smoking in restaurants and workplaces. Information Flyer, Berkeley, Calif, 1992.
- 19Independent Evaluation of Efforts to Prevent and Control Tobacco Use in California; Annual Report. San Diego State University, San Diego, Calif, October 1991., :
- 21Lower levels of cigarette consumption found in smoke-free workplaces in California. Paper presented at the American Heart Association 65th Scientific Sessions, November 16–19, 1992, in New Orleans, Louisiana., , , :
- 23Tobacco Use in California. An Evaluation of the Tobacco Control Program, 1989–1993. University of California, San Diego, 1994., , , et al:
- 25DOC: A primer for social/health activism, in Smoking and Health 1987. New York, Excerpta Medica, 1988, pp 373–375., , , :
- 27National Cancer Institute: The health professional's responsibility in smoking cessation: Strategies for office and community by Richards JW, Houston TP, Blum A, in: Smoking and Tobacco Control: Tobacco and the Clinician: Interventions for Medical and Dental Practice 5 (NIH Publication No. 94–3693). Bethesda, Md, NCI, 1994, pp 24–37.
- 281994.: National Office of the American Medical Association, Chicago, Illinois. Personal communication, October 12,