Author disclosure: Richard Stone, MD, serves as a consultant to Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Janssen Pharmaceutica, L.P., and Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. He also serves on the speaker's bureau for Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
The Difficult Problem of Acute Myeloid Leukemia in the Older Adult†
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2002 American Cancer Society
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 52, Issue 6, pages 363–371, November/December 2002
How to Cite
Stone, R. M. (2002), The Difficult Problem of Acute Myeloid Leukemia in the Older Adult. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 52: 363–371. doi: 10.3322/canjclin.52.6.363
This article is available online at http://CAonline.AmCancerSoc.org
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- 8Radiation-related leukemia in Hiroshima and Nagasaki 1946–1964. N Engl J Med 1966; 234: 591–594., , .
- 25Parallel Phase I studies of daunorubicin given with cytarabine and etoposide with or without the multidrug resistance modulator PSC-833 in previously untreated patients 60 years of age or older with acute myeloid leukemia: results of Cancer and Leukemia Group B study 9420. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 2831–2839., , , et al.
- 30A Phase III study of daunorubicin vs idarubicin vs mitoxantrone for older adult patients >55 years) with acute myelogenous leukemia AML): A study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group E3993). Blood 1998; 92: 313a., , , et al.
- 31Multicenter randomized Phase II trial of idarubicin vs mitoxantrone, combined with VP-16 and cytarabine for induction/consolidation therapy, followed by a feasibility study of autologous peripheral blood stem transplantation in elderly patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia 1999; 13: 843–849., , , et al.
- 37Low-dose cytarabine versus intensive chemotherapy in the treatment of acute nonlymphocytic leukemia in the elderly. J Clin Oncol 1990; 7: 272., , , et al.
- 38On the value of intensive remission induction chemotherapy in elderly patients of 65+ years with acute myeloid leukemia: A randomized Phase III study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer leukemia Group. J Clin Oncol 1989; 7: 1268–1274., , , et al.
- 39Depression and expectations for cure in older adults with advanced myelodysplastic syndrome aMDS) or acute myeloid leukemia AML) receiving intensive chemotherapy IC) and non-intensive chemotherapy NIC): early results from a prospective study. Blood 2001; 98: 625a., , , et al.
- 40A Phase II trial with or without GM-CSF administered before and during high dose cytarabine in patients with relapsed refractory acute myelogenous leukemia. Proc ASCO 1996; 15: 504a., , , et al.
- 41A Phase III study of priming with yeast-derived granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating-factor rhuGM-CSF) for older adult patients >55 yrs) with acute myelogenous leukemia AML): A study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Blood 1998; 92: 2799a., , , et al.
- 42A randomized placebo-controlled Phase III study of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in adult patients >55 to 70 years of age) with acute myelogenous leukemia: a study of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group E1490). Blood 1995; 86: 457–462., , , et al.
- 44Use of recombinant GM-CSF during and after remission induction chemotherapy in patients aged 61 years and older with acute myeloid leukemia: final report of AML-11, a Phase III randomized study of the Leukemia Cooperative Group of European Organization for the Research and Treatment of Cancer and the Dutch Belgian Hemato-Oncology Cooperative Group. Blood 1997; 90: 2952–2961., , , et al.
- 45A placebo-controlled study of recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor administered during and after induction for de novo acute myelogenous leukemia in elderly patients. Groupe Ouest Est Leucemies Aigues Myeloblastiques GOELAM). Blood 1998; 91: 2722–2730., , , et al.
- 57http://www.abstracts-on-line.com/abstracts/, accessed February 21, 2002 abstr 1928)., , , et al. Dose escalation studies of ara-C A), daunorubicin D) and etoposide E) with and without multidrug resistance MDR) modulation with PSC-833 P) in untreated adults with acute myeloid leukemia AML) <60 years: Final induction results of CALGB 9621. Proc Am Soc Hematol,