This article is available online at http://CAonline.AmCancerSoc.org
Trends in Breast Cancer by Race and Ethnicity: Update 2006†
Article first published online: 24 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians
Volume 56, Issue 3, pages 168–183, May/June 2006
How to Cite
Smigal, C., Jemal, A., Ward, E., Cokkinides, V., Smith, R., Howe, H. L. and Thun, M. (2006), Trends in Breast Cancer by Race and Ethnicity: Update 2006. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 56: 168–183. doi: 10.3322/canjclin.56.3.168
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 24 FEB 2009
- 1Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (http://www.seer. cancer.gov). SEER*Stat Database: Incidence—SEER 9 Regs Public-Use, Nov 2004 Sub (1973-2002), National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch. April 2005, based on the November 2004 submission.
- 3North American Association of Central Cancer Registries. NAACCR Incidence—CiNA Analytic File, 1995-2002.
- 4National Center for Health Statistics Division of Vital Statistics Centers for Disease Control. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss.htm. Accessed January 24, 2006.
- 5Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (http://www.seer. cancer.gov). SEER*Stat Database: Mortality—All COD, Public-Use With State, Total US for Expanded Races (1990-2002), National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch. April 2005. Underlying mortality data provided by NCHS (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs).
- 6US Census Bureau. Available at: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/saipe/saipe.htm. Accessed January 24, 2006.
- 7Area socio-economic variation in US cancer incidence, mortality, stage, treatment, and survival 1975-1999. NCI Cancer Surveillance Monograph Series, Number 4. Vol Number 4. NIH Publication No. 03-5417 ed. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2003., , , .
- 8Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Public Use Data Tape 2004. Atlanta, Georgia: National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2005.
- 9National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2004 with Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2004.
- 10SAS Institute. SAS 9. 1. 3 Help and Documentation. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 2000–2004.
- 11Research Triangle Institute. SUDAAN user's manual, release 7. 5. Research Triangle Park, NC: Research Triangle Institute; 1997.
- 12Using cancer registry and vital statistics to estimate the number of new cases cancer cases and deaths in the US for the upcoming year. J Reg Management 1998; 25: 43–51., , , et al.
- 15SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2002. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2005., , , et al.
- 16Surveillance Research Program, National Cancer Institute SEER*Stat software (http://www.seer. cancer.gov/seerstat), version 6. 1. 4.
- 19Births: final data for 2003. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2005; 54: 1–116., , , et al.
- 22International Agency for Cancer Research (IARC). IARC Handbook of Cancer Prevention. Volume 6: Weight control and physical activity. Lyon: IARC Press; 2002.
- 31Screening mammography in the elderly: a review of the issues. J Am Med Womens Assoc 2003; 58: 191–198..
- 49Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program Fact Sheet 2004/2005. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2005.