I would like to thank Esther Duflo, Abhijit Banerjee, and Antoinette Schoar for advice and encouragement throughout this research. I am indebted to Shamanthy Ganeshan, who provided outstanding research assistance. Daron Acemoglu, Oriana Bandiera, Tim Besley, Gharad Bryan, Robin Burgess, David Cesarini, Sylvain Chassang, Raymond Guiteras, Gerard Padró i Miquel, Rob Townsend, Tom Wilkening, and various seminar participants generously contributed many useful comments and advice. I am also grateful to the editor and three anonymous referees for providing thoughtful comments. In Chennai, the Centre for Micro Finance and the management and employees of Mahasemam Trust deserve many thanks. I gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Russell Sage Foundation, the George and Obie Shultz Fund, the National Science Foundation's Graduate Research Fellowship, and the Economic and Social Research Council's First Grants Scheme.
Contract Structure, Risk-Sharing, and Investment Choice
Article first published online: 16 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Econometric Society
Volume 81, Issue 3, pages 883–939, May 2013
How to Cite
Fischer, G. (2013), Contract Structure, Risk-Sharing, and Investment Choice. Econometrica, 81: 883–939. doi: 10.3982/ECTA9100
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 16 MAY 2013
- Manuscript received February, 2010; final revision received October, 2012.
This article has been cited by:
- 2Entrepreneurship, poverty, and Asia: Moving beyond subsistence entrepreneurship, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 2015, 32, 1, 1, , ,
- 3The Impacts of Microfinance: Evidence from Joint-Liability Lending in Mongolia†, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2015, 7, 1, 90, , , , ,
- 4Group versus individual liability: Short and long term evidence from Philippine microcredit lending groups, Journal of Development Economics, 2014, 107, 65, ,
- 5Does the Classic Microfinance Model Discourage Entrepreneurship Among the Poor? Experimental Evidence from India, American Economic Review, 2013, 103, 6, 2196, , , ,