Copyright © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., A Wiley Company
Edited By: John L. Rudolph
Impact Factor: 2.382
ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking: 2012: 10/219 (Education & Educational Research)
Online ISSN: 1098-237X
Aims and Scope
Science Education publishes original articles on the latest issues and trends occurring internationally in science curriculum, instruction, learning, policy and preparation of science teachers with the aim to advance our knowledge of science education theory and practice. In addition to original articles, the journal features the following special sections:
- Learning : containing both reports of empirical research studies and interpretive articles related to the psychological aspects of the learning of science.
- Issues and Trends : consisting primarily of analytical, interpretive, or persuasive essays on current educational, social, or philosophical issues and trends relevant to the teaching to science.
- Science Learning in Everyday Life : consisting of analytical, interpretative, or philosophical papers on the unique qualities of free-choice science learning. Papers should investigate the impacts of experiences in settings such as museums, homes, the Internet, the community, or other non-school contexts. Papers should discuss perspectives on such learning and present research findings or positions describing the role that such science experiences play in promoting the public's science interest, knowledge and/or behaviors across the life span.
- Science Teacher Education : containing descriptive articles and reports on empirical research studies, organization and operation of science teacher education programs, and the effectiveness of practices, procedures, or programs of teacher education in science.
- Science Education Policy : including reports about the goals and/or underlying principles of policies adopted by government, interest groups, school districts, etc., and their effect on science teaching and learning. Additionally, research on science education policy relates to a critical examination of how theory, research, and practice of science education are influenced by policy decisions.
- Science Studies and Science Education : providing a forum for interdisciplinary investigations into science and science education, this section informs and derives perspectives from history, philosophy, anthropology, and sociology of science as well as cognitive psychology and artificial intelligence to contribute to the theory, methodology, policy, and practice of science education.
- Books : covering reviews of recently published books in the field.
In addition, the journal regularly carries a Comments and Criticism section which provides a forum for the expression of differing view points and commentary and clarification of topics in published papers.
The Journal Editorial Board invites any manuscript addressing a relevant science education topic that employs an established and recognized scholarly approach and also impacts or is generalizable to national and international populations. Quantitative research reports that employ sophisticated research designs (e.g. MANOVAs linear modeling) and qualitative research reports that rigorously follow naturalistic research methods are preferred. One or two variable tests employing simple inferential statistics (e.g. ANOVA or ANCOVA) and poorly described and argued qualitative research are discouraged. All manuscripts must provide a thorough review of the literature that establishes the research problem or the issue at hand as well as a thorough conclusion that addresses the implications and limitations of the research or argument.
Science educators · researchers in science education · state departments of education · supervisors of science education programs · chairpersons of high school science departments
science education, physics education, chemistry education, biology education, environmental education, educational psychology, earth science education, secondary school, middle school, elementary school, learning sciences, cognitive psychology, journal, online journal, Wiley Online Library
Abstracting and Indexing Information
- Academic Search (EBSCO Publishing)
- Academic Search Elite (EBSCO Publishing)
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO Publishing)
- Current Contents: Social & Behavioral Sciences (Thomson Reuters)
- Education Index/Abstracts (EBSCO Publishing)
- ERA: Educational Research Abstracts Online (T&F)
- ERIC: Educational Resources Information Center (CSC)
- Expanded Academic ASAP (GALE Cengage)
- IBR & IBZ: International Bibliographies of Periodical Literature (KG Saur)
- Journal Citation Reports/Social Science Edition (Thomson Reuters)
- MasterFILE Elite (EBSCO Publishing)
- MasterFILE Premier (EBSCO Publishing)
- MasterFILE Select (EBSCO Publishing)
- OmniFile Full Text Mega Edition (HW Wilson)
- Professional Development Collection (EBSCO Publishing)
- ProQuest Central (ProQuest)
- ProQuest Discovery (ProQuest)
- ProQuest Education Journals (ProQuest)
- ProQuest Platinum (ProQuest)
- ProQuest Research Library (ProQuest)
- PsycINFO/Psychological Abstracts (APA)
- SCOPUS (Elsevier)
- Social Sciences Citation Index (Thomson Reuters)
- Web of Science (Thomson Reuters)