Angewandte Chemie International Edition
© WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Cover Picture (Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 10/1992)
The cover picture shows a portrait of August Wilhelm von Hofmann painted in 1890 by Heinrich von Angeli. The painting was commissioned by the German paint manufacturers for the National Gallery, and was presented by Heinrich Caro on July 7, 1890. The honor of such a commission was almost equal to that of the award of a title and required the Kaiser's blessing. The Viennese artist, who was one of the most popular portrait painters of the royal courts in Vienna, London, St. Petersburg, and Berlin because of his mastery in composition and harmonious costuming, rejected the usual attributes of learning (the lectern and books) that characterize the majority of the paintings of Berlin scientists commissioned for the National Gallery and indeed can be seen in Angeli's initial study for Hofmann's portrait (formerly in the possession of the Deutsche Chemische Gesellschaft; see the picture in Ber. Dtsch. Chem. Ges. 1942, 75 A, facing p. 147). Instead he favored a monumental, even high-priestly representation.