Copyright © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
June 02, 2005
Helmut Schlaad Laureate of the Hermann Schnell Foundation
Congratulations to Helmut Schlaad (Max-Planck-Institut für Kolloid- und Grenzflächenforschung, Potsdam-Golm, Germany), to whom the Hermann Schnell Foundation bursary will be awarded on September 12, 2005 at the GDCh-Jahrestagung in Düsseldorf. Hermann Schnell, student of Hermann Staudinger, wished to support young scientists working in the field of macromolecular science.
Helmut Schlaad (* 4.8.1967) completed his Ph.D. in 1997 on the mechanism of anionic polymerization of (meth)acrylates in the presence of aluminium alkyls under the supervision of Prof. Axel H. E. Müller at the University of Mainz, Germany. He spent the following year as a post doc at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, USA, working with Prof. Rudolf Faust on the end-capping of living polyisobutylene with 1,1-diarylethylenes and determination of absolute rate constants in cationic polymerization. In 1999, he joined the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, shortly before its move from Teltow to the present location in Golm, Germany, in order to lead the project "Amphiphilic Block Copolymers" in the group of Prof. Markus Antonietti and start work on his habilitation, which he completed in 2004 at the University of Potsdam, Germany (title of thesis: "Polymer Self-Assembly - Adding Complexity to Mesostructures of Diblock Copolymers by Specific Interactions"). In continuation of this work, his current research is directed towards the modular synthesis of novel functional block copolymers and biomimetic formation of hierarchical superstructures via non-covalent interactions. Special projects deal with the stimulus-responsive aggregation behavior of polypeptide-based block copolymers and the generation of aggregates with reduced or broken symmetry via interpolymer complexation.
• H. Schlaad, B. Schmitt, A. H. E. Müller, "Living and controlled anionic polymerization of methacrylates and acrylates in the presence of tetraalkylammonium halide-alkylaluminium complexes in toluene", Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. Engl. 1998, 37 (10), 1389-1391.
• H. Schlaad, Y. Kwon, L. Sipos, R. Faust, B. Charleux, "Determination of propagation rate constants in carbocationic polymerization of olefins. 1. Isobutylene", Macromolecules 2000, 33 (22), 8225-8232.
• H. Kukula, H. Schlaad, M. Antonietti, S. Förster, "The formation of polymer vesicles or 'peptosomes' by polybutadiene-block-poly(L-glutamate)s in dilute aqueous solution", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002, 124 (8), 1658-1663.
• J. Justynska, H. Schlaad, "Modular synthesis of functional block copolymers", Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2004, 25 (16), 1478-1481.
• H. Schlaad, T. Krasia, M. Antonietti, "Superhelices of poly[2-(acetoacetoxy)ethyl methacrylate]", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126 (36), 11307-11310.