© European Food Safety Authority
Articles are published under the terms of the Creative Commons License as stated in the final article.
Edited By: European Food Safety Authority
Online ISSN: 1831-4732
Associated Title(s): EFSA Supporting Publications
The EFSA Journal is an open access, online journal which publishes the scientific outputs of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). It neither accepts nor commissions third party content.
Articles are published continuously i.e. as soon as a scientific output is finalised, it is published in the EFSA Journal. The “Early View” contains all scientific outputs published in the previous month. All outputs published since EFSA’s inception in 2003 are retrievable in the “All Issues” section. Scientific outputs published in a particular month represent an issue. A volume includes all issues of a year. The outputs are published chronologically.
The EFSA Journal is published by John Wiley & Sons on behalf of the European Food Safety Authority.
Scope of the EFSA Journal
The EFSA Journal covers methods of risk assessment, reports on data collected, and risk assessments in the individual areas of plant health, plant protection products and their residues, genetically modified organisms, additives and products or substances used in animal feed, animal health and welfare, biological hazards including BSE/TSE, contaminants in the food chain, food contact materials, enzymes, flavourings and processing aids, food additives and nutrient sources added to food, dietetic products, nutrition and allergies.
EFSA Scientific Outputs
The following types of documents are published in the EFSA Journal:
Scientific Opinions of Scientific Committee/Panel:
• Opinion of the Scientific Committee/Panel
• Statement of the Scientific Committee/Panel
• Guidance of the Scientific Committee/Panel
Other scientific outputs of EFSA, which are not prepared by the Scientific Committee/Panels:
• Statement of EFSA
• Guidance of EFSA
• Conclusion on Pesticide Peer Review
• Reasoned Opinion
• Scientific Report of EFSA
Please refer to the Definitions of EFSA scientific outputs for more information.
Editorials on key risk assessment topics are published occasionally. They may:
• Provide an overview of the approach adopted by EFSA in the finalisation of several opinions on specific topics.
• Provide background information on complex scientific topics EFSA is or has recently been dealing with.
• Explain EFSA’s approach, process and results with regard to risk assessment.
• Provide an overall perspective on issues EFSA dealt with over a long period of time and/or under an evolving regulation.
• Provide information on a risk assessment and the measures taken by risk managers afterwards.
• Address risk assessment issues that had a significant impact on regulation and, vice versa, on regulatory issues that had an impact on risk assessment.
Articles published in the EFSA Journal have a unique reference number: EFSA Journal 20xx;Vol(issue):article identifier. Each year corresponds to a volume number, e.g. the year 2003 corresponds to Volume 1; 2011 corresponds to Volume 9. Each month corresponds to an issue number, e.g. January corresponds to issue number 1 and December to number 12. A unique 4-digit number is assigned to each article. Page number ranges are not included in the Journal reference number, however the total number of pages of the PDF-document is indicated (e.g. [46 pp.]).
Digital object identifier (doi)
Every article published in the EFSA Journal is assigned a digital object identifier (doi), which is a unique string created to identify a piece of intellectual property in an online environment. The doi is comprised of a prefix and a suffix. The EFSA Journal prefix is 10.2903. The EFSA Journal suffix starts with: j.efsa and is followed by the year of publication and the article identifier. An example of doi is: 10.2903/j.efsa.2010.1735.
To resolve a doi, you may type it:
• In the Advanced Search for Article DOI
• In a doi resolver
• Immediately after the link http://dx.doi.org/. For example:
International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)
EFSA Journal: ISSN 1831 – 4732
Abstracting and Indexing Information
- CAS: Chemical Abstracts Service (ACS)
- Food Science & Technology Abstracts™ (IFIS)