Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
© 2014 International Communication Association
Edited By: S. Shyam Sundar, The Pennsylvania State University
Impact Factor: 2.019
ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking: 2013: 6/74 (Communication); 12/83 (Information Science & Library Science)
Online ISSN: 1083-6101
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication Author Guidelines
All submitted manuscripts must be prepared in strict accordance with the 6th edition (2nd printing) of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA; see http://www.apastyle.org/).
All manuscripts, including revision and resubmission, should be BOTH under 10,000 words AND within 30 pages in length (including the abstract and all references, tables, figures, appendices, and endnotes). Both of the requirements should be met.
1) Page 1 must include an abstract (maximum of 120 words) and 5-7 keywords.
2) Page 2 starts with title and main text.
3) Standard type (12-point font, double-spaced, Times New Roman, 1.0 inch margins) should be used throughout.
4) Running head on top left corner and page numbers on the top right corner (header) of each page.
5) References are double-spaced; 2nd and subsequent lines should have hanging indent of 0.5 inch (References should also start on a new page).
6) Provide doi numbers for references if available.
7) All tables, figures, appendices and endnotes should be placed after references.
8) Headings styles have also been modified. According to APA 6th, headings should follow the following format:
a. Centered, boldface, uppercase and lowercase heading
b. Left-aligned, boldface, uppercase and lowercase heading
c. Indented, boldface, lowercase heading with a period
d. Indented, boldface, italicized, lowercase heading with a period
e. Indented, italicized, lowercase heading with a period
9) Submit only 1 main document (including all tables, figures and appendices) in WORD format (.doc) extension. NOTE: We do not accept PDF files.
10) Please remove all author names and institutional information from manuscripts, so as to enable blinded peer review.
11) Please refer to your own work as if they were conducted by someone else [e.g., Smith (2008) found that…]. Please do NOT use the “authors” designation [e.g., one study (Authors, 2008) indicates that…] or use self-referential language surrounding your self-citations that would indirectly reveal your identity [e.g., in our first study (Smith & Johnson, 2004), we found that…].
Manuscripts that do not follow these requirements or that are otherwise deemed unsuitable for publication will be returned to the author(s) without review. Author guidelines are also available online: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1083-6101/homepage/ForAuthors.html
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE NO LONGER ACCEPT OFFLINE OR EMAIL SUBMISSIONS. ALL MANUSCRIPTS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE THROUGH MANUSCRIPT CENTRAL: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/jcmc
Inquiries regarding manuscripts should be directed to:
Dr. S. Shyam Sundar
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
College of Communications, The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16801
At the current time, the average acceptance rate is around 3%. The average turnaround time for manuscripts, broken down by decision type, for the period of September 16, 2013 to September 14, 2014, is:
Desk Reject: 7 days
Reject (based on review by Associate Editor or by peer reviewers): 51 days
Major Revision: 80 days
Minor Revision: 62 days
Copyright Agreement Information for authors with Funder arrangements
Certain funders, including the NIH, members of the Research Councils UK (RCUK) and Wellcome Trust, require deposit of the Accepted Version in a repository after an embargo period. Details of funding arrangements are available at the following website: http://www.wiley.com/go/funderstatement. Please contact the Journal production editor if you have additional funding requirements.