Psoriasis and obesity in French children: a case–control, multicentre study
E. Mahé, A. Beauchet, C. Bodemer, A. Phan, A.-C. Bursztejn, F. Boralevi, A.-L. Souillet, C. Chiaverini, E. Bourrat, J. Miquel, P. Vabres, S. Barbarot, D. Bessis, C. Eschard, S. Hadj-Rabia and for the Groupe de Recherche de la Société Française de Dermatologie Pédiatrique
Article first published online: 22 MAR 2015 | DOI: 10.1111/bjd.13507
What's already known about this topic?
- The frequency and severity of psoriasis are associated with a high prevalence of obesity in adults.
- Obesity is associated with severe plaque psoriasis in children.
What does this study add?
- Childhood psoriasis is associated with overweight with abdominal obesity, or obesity per se irrespective of the type of psoriasis and its severity.
- There is no difference in the determinants for obesity in children with psoriasis and controls.
- The main determinants for overweight in children with psoriasis are female sex and having a parent who is overweight.