Plant Biotechnology Journal
© Society for Experimental Biology, Association of Applied Biologists and John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Edited By: Henry Daniell
Impact Factor: 5.752
ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking: 2014: 11/200 (Plant Sciences); 15/162 (Biotechnology & Applied Microbiology)
Online ISSN: 1467-7652
Aims and Scope
Plant Biotechnology Journal is published by Wiley-Blackwell in association with the Society for Experimental Biology (SEB) and the Association of Applied Biology (AAB).
Plant Biotechnology Journal aims to publish high-impact original research and incisive reviews by leading researchers in applied plant science, with an emphasis on molecular plant sciences and their applications through plant biotechnology. We aim to provide a forum for the most important advances in this field, including curiosity-driven studies with the potential for application, strategic research in plant biotechnology, scientific analysis of key issues for the beneficial application of plant sciences and scientific analysis of the performance of the products of plant biotechnology in practice.
Plant Biotechnology Journal often receives manuscripts describing research carried out solely in model species. While the Plant Biotechnology Journal will continue to accept exceptional manuscripts describing novel and useful procedures carried out in model species, one of the strengths of the Plant Biotechnology Journal is its ability to focus on application. Therefore, from January 2011 the Plant Biotechnology Journal will immediately reject manuscripts containing high quality, but not exceptional, research relating solely to model species.
To be accepted for publication in Plant Biotechnology Journal, original research papers will need to present major new findings with conclusions thoroughly supported by critical experimental evidence and make a substantial contribution to plant biotechnology and/or scientific understanding. Reviews must accordingly provide a high level of insight and synthesis beyond a summary of published work. Sciences underpinning plant biotechnology include functional genomics and proteomics, molecular genetics, physiology, biochemistry and cell biology, with applications through molecular marker, mutant and transgenic approaches. Applications may involve agriculture, horticulture, forestry, biodiversity and conservation, enhanced yield, reduced environmental impact, phytoremediation, environmental sensors, improved foods and food-processing, biofuels and biomaterials including pharmaceuticals from terrestrial, aquatic or marine plant systems including industrial crops and natural systems. Examples of areas covered in Plant Biotechnology Journal include:
Gene, genome, proteome and metabolome analysis: molecular screening technologies; analysis of gene function from nucleotide sequence to phenotype; understanding of gene networks; applications ranging from metabolic engineering to marker assisted breeding.
Functional genomics, comparative genomics, bioinformatics and their applications in understanding and beneficial use of biodiversity, conservation, introgression, and rational design of improved genes for industrial plant improvement.
Transgenic technologies: production and analysis of transgenic crops; molecular farming; gene insertion, expression and silencing; field-testing and commercialisation of modified plants for agricultural, health, industrial and environmental benefits, improved foods, biofuels and biomaterials; safety and regulatory affairs.
Developmental, physiological and biochemical studies relevant to enhanced understanding of plant function, with potential for improvement of plant characteristics important to humans including the adaptation of plants to new environments.
Plant Biotechnology Journal seeks to achieve a balance between a speedy review process and providing authors with rigorous, objective and critical reviews. Submissions are initially reviewed by editors to select only those considered most promising for critical review by at least two independent experts. We promise speedy responses to authors, rigorous scientific review and rapid publication.
In addition to the usual black and white or colour photographs to present data, Plant Biotechnology Journal provides the opportunity to publish supplementary material via its website, such as large data sets, extra colour illustrations, bibliographies, videos, or any other material for which insufficient space in the journal is available. Please contact the Editor-in-Chief for details.
Submit your best manuscript to Plant Biotechnology Journal, with an average first decision time of 21 days!
Plant Biotechnology, applied plant science, plant biology, agriculture, horticulture, food, food processing, food safety, pharmaceuticals, phytoremediation, marine applications, non-food use plants and industrial crops, genomic sequencing, genomic analysis, functional genomics, proteomics, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, gene and genome analysis, plant breeding, transgenic crops, gene silencing, gene expression, modified crops, crop safety, comparative genomics, physiological studies, secondary metabolites, manipulations of physiology, developmental studies, developmental mechanisms
Abstracting and Indexing Information
- Abstracts on Hygiene & Communicable Diseases (CABI)
- Academic Search (EBSCO Publishing)
- Academic Search Alumni Edition (EBSCO Publishing)
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO Publishing)
- AgBiotech News & Information (CABI)
- AgBiotechNet (CABI)
- AGRICOLA Database (National Agricultural Library)
- Agricultural Engineering Abstracts (CABI)
- Agroforestry Abstracts (CABI)
- Animal Breeding Abstracts (CABI)
- Biocontrol News & Information (CABI)
- Biofuels Abstracts (CABI)
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Abstracts (ProQuest)
- Biotechnology Citation Index (Thomson Reuters)
- Botanical Pesticides (CABI)
- CAB Abstracts® (CABI)
- CABDirect (CABI)
- Crop Physiology Abstracts (CABI)
- CSA Biological Sciences Database (ProQuest)
- CSA Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management Database (ProQuest)
- Current Contents: Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences (Thomson Reuters)
- Environment Index (EBSCO Publishing)
- Field Crop Abstracts (CABI)
- Forest Products Abstracts (CABI)
- Forestry Abstracts (CABI)
- Global Health (CABI)
- Grasslands & Forage Abstracts (CABI)
- Horticultural Science Abstracts (CABI)
- Index Veterinarius (CABI)
- InfoTrac (GALE Cengage)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition (Thomson Reuters)
- Maize Abstracts (CABI)
- MEDLINE/PubMed (NLM)
- Nematological Abstracts (CABI)
- Nutrition Abstracts & Reviews Series A: Human & Experimental (CABI)
- Nutrition Abstracts & Reviews Series B: Livestock Feeds & Feeding (CABI)
- Ornamental Horticulture (CABI)
- Pig News & Information (CABI)
- Plant Breeding Abstracts (CABI)
- Plant Genetic Resources Abstracts (CABI)
- Plant Growth Regulator Abstracts (CABI)
- Postharvest News & Information (CABI)
- Potato Abstracts (CABI)
- Poultry Abstracts (CABI)
- Protozoological Abstracts (CABI)
- Review of Agricultural Entomology (CABI)
- Review of Aromatic & Medicinal Plants (CABI)
- Review of Medical & Veterinary Entomology (CABI)
- Review of Medical & Veterinary Mycology (CABI)
- Review of Plant Pathology (CABI)
- Rice Abstracts (CABI)
- Science Citation Index Expanded (Thomson Reuters)
- SCOPUS (Elsevier)
- Seed Abstracts (CABI)
- Soils & Fertilizers Abstracts (CABI)
- Soybean Abstracts Online (CABI)
- Sugar Industry Abstracts (CABI)
- Tropical Diseases Bulletin (CABI)
- Veterinary Bulletin (CABI)
- Weed Abstracts (CABI)
- Wheat, Barley & Triticale Abstracts (CABI)
- World Agricultural Economics & Rural Sociology Abstracts (CABI)