Hospital admissions in children with cerebral palsy: a data linkage study
Elaine Meehan, Susan M Reid, Katrina Williams, Gary L Freed, Jillian R Sewell, Suzanna Vidmar, Susan Donath and Dinah S Reddihough
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2016 | DOI: 10.1111/dmcn.13350
What this paper adds
- Cerebral palsy (CP) admissions are more costly than general childhood admissions.
- More admissions in children with CP are elective, occurring at metropolitan hospitals.
- Greater severity is associated with more emergency, multiday, and respiratory admissions.
- Neurological, respiratory, musculoskeletal, and digestive diseases account for most CP admissions.
- It is feasible to use CP registers for health services research.